IGNORED

My guest, your guest

Silvio Dante

It’s a funny old world, isn’t it?

I hated Gerry Francis’ team with a passion that I could never truly summon up for any of their many pathetic ones since & some of that side (Alexander, Jones, Holloway, White) are right up there with my most despised footballers of all time.

I would never have imagined all these years later than one of that 11 would go on to be not only by far the best sports broadcaster in the area (a pretty low bar, I admit) but patently a very good bloke & someone who is held in incredibly high esteem by every City fan.

As he is inclined to say, top man, ATB Geoff..

17 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I hated Gerry Francis’ team with a passion that I could never truly summon up for any of their many pathetic ones since & some of that side (Alexander, Jones, Holloway, White) are right up there with my most despised footballers of all time.

I would never have imagined all these years later than one of that 11 would go on to be not only by far the best sports broadcaster in the area (a pretty low bar, I admit) but patently a very good bloke & someone who is held in incredibly high esteem by every City fan.

Yeah;

That side was full of horrible individuals - who deserved all the abuse we gave them.

Geoff was the one exception. I remember standing in the enclosure and he was getting it with both barrels from everybody (myself included) ! He looked over, smiled, and carried on with his warm up !

Sorry Geoff ! ?

Have a great birthday !

46 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Alexander and Penrice were my two, genuinely offensive. The moustaches that they all adopted (as recounted in the superb thread about the 1991 derby last week) didn't help.

Top man is Geoff.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Today is Geoff Twentymans birthday. Using your skill and judgement, how do you think he’s signing off his responses to each birthday greeting...

(Answers in link. No cheating.)

Seeing as I’ve had one of his responses today I won’t cheat.

Well said @GrahamC

I introduced myself to him (and Gregor) at Charlton Farm a couple of years back.  He is such a gent, and always makes an effort to say hi or ask how Joe is.

11 minutes ago, weepywall said:

I know someone that knew Alexander very well and he was a horrible little c*** out of football aswell.

Alexander used to live in Yate. Used to see him walking down Sundridge Park. Permanent scowl. Looked like he was permanently spoiling for a fight, even outside the local primary school.

On a bizarre basis Junior Bent also used to live locally. Never saw Alexander get near him off the pitch either.

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Alexander used to live in Yate. Used to see him walking down Sundridge Park. Permanent scowl. Looked like he was permanently spoiling for a fight, even outside the local primary school.

On a bizarre basis Junior Bent also used to live locally. Never saw Alexander get near him off the pitch either.

Junior lived in Bisley...he almost burnt his house down with a chip pan ? ???

Ray Atteveld lived in Sodders...used to do some work for him. Always had a big wad of notes on him. Lovely missus. 

Never saw Alexander though. He is sort of forgettable though ??

Used to see Gary Owners a lot in Sodders too. 

Geoff and Russel Osman were regular at the Players Club. 

Obviously Skuse was always about as well. 

All were friendly. 

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

Ray Atteveld lived in Sodders...used to do some work for him. Always had a big wad of notes on him. Lovely missus. 

All were friendly. 

That’s what you get for letting the kids cook Spud...

In all seriousness, that one statement hits home how much the money in the games changed. Bisley is very much first/second time buyer territory - I bought similar for my first Gaff. Staggered terrace, three bed. Nice and big but not footballers houses. Probably go for £220-£250k.

At the time, Junior would have been a footballer for a what is now championship team. I can’t imagine his modern equivalent buying similar.

It does mean, however, that his local would have been the double o two (as was). Braver men than Junior have swerved that place!

14 minutes ago, spudski said:

All were friendly. 

Not Bisley near Stroud, then... Its all horses and tw*ts with red trousers there. 

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

All were friendly. 

Yep Owers + Dryden in the Farmhouse (Yate) in the 90's often pretty well tanked up.

Alexander was a bit of lad - never spoke to him but always looked edgy.

Cole Skuse always out running - real good lad.

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

In all seriousness, that one statement hits home how much the money in the games changed. Bisley is very much first/second time buyer territory - I bought similar for my first Gaff. Staggered terrace, three bed. Nice and big but not footballers houses. Probably go for £220-£250k.

At the time, Junior would have been a footballer for a what is now championship team. I can’t imagine his modern equivalent buying similar.

It does mean, however, that his local would have been the double o two (as was). Braver men than Junior have swerved that place!

Junior went on to work for NatWest as a Business Manager. The current lot seem to earn £0.5-1M pa so I can’t see them doing that!

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

What would Junior do in a big house?

12 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Totally agree mate...totally different times to now. Even I've never ventured into the double O two...?? 

I've been in Russell Osman's gaff...that was nice. At the time he didn't have any footy memorabilia on show, just pics of Escape to Victory. His house help didn't even know he used to play footy ?

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

Totally agree mate...totally different times to now. Even I've never ventured into the double O two...?? 

I've been in Russell Osman's gaff...that was nice. At the time he didn't have any footy memorabilia on show, just pics of Escape to Victory. His house help didn't even know he used to play footy ?

Neither did the rest of us. 

Sorry, couldn't resist ?

36 minutes ago, spudski said:

All were friendly. 

Played in a group behind GT at the players once, he's some golfer, has to be a single digit handicapper.

Met him briefly in the 19th that same day and he was extremely pleasant.

Happy birthday GT.

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

Remember my auntie and uncle taking me and my bruv in there as kids when they were babysitting for us.  Must’ve been 10 and 12.  Was it a bit rough then?

Just now, Ska Junkie said:

Played in a group behind GT at the players once, he's some golfer, has to be a single digit handicapper.

Met him briefly in the 19th that same day and he was extremely pleasant.

Happy birthday GT.

Him, Russell and Keith Millen all keen Golfers. Played with all three in the past. Like you say...they are happy to chat, and all pleasant company. Think Keith is a member at Long Ashton or was.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Remember my auntie and uncle taking me and my bruv in there as kids when they were babysitting for us.  Must’ve been 10 and 12.  Was it a bit rough then?

It's never been anything but rough Dave. Abbotswood needs knocking down. 

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There’s a decent Indian by the Two (Abbotswood Inn as is now). I went to pick up a takeaway one evening, and popped in for a quick pint while it was being prepared. Empty apart from 3/4 mid 50s soaks at the bar. The jukebox was playing Boney M - I assumed it was on random play.

Nope.

After “Rivers of Babylon” finished, the opening bars of “Brown Girl In The Ring” came on. It got to the “Tra La La La La” bit and all the soaks got up and started singing it at the top of their voices, looking threateningly at me to join in.

Our man made his excuses and left.

Also, brilliantly, they used to have a barber that visited the pub on weekends. So you could get pissed and have a haircut at the same time. The quality of which depended on how drunk the barber was.

Its rough.

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

There’s a decent Indian by the Two (Abbotswood Inn as is now). I went to pick up a takeaway one evening, and popped in for a quick pint while it was being prepared. Empty apart from 3/4 mid 50s soaks at the bar. The jukebox was playing Boney M - I assumed it was on random play.

Nope.

After “Rivers of Babylon” finished, the opening bars of “Brown Girl In The Ring” came on. It got to the “Tra La La La La” bit and all the soaks got up and started singing it at the top of their voices, looking threateningly at me to join in.

Also, brilliantly, they used to have a barber that visited the pub on weekends. So you could get pissed and have a haircut at the same time. The quality of which depended on how drunk the barber was.

Its rough.

????? Sounds about right ?Is the Indian still going? It was good back in the day.

They used to have a decent footy tournament in the Summer in the school playing fields opposite the pub.

Teams from Europe came across. 

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

????? Sounds about right ?Is the Indian still going? It was good back in the day.

They used to have a decent footy tournament in the Summer in the school playing fields opposite the pub.

Teams from Europe came across. 

Both are - I tend to use Zinga there now but Mother India’s still about, that used to be decent. Think every man and his dogs played at Kelston - couple of our teams use it still but visitors are more from Downend than Dortmund...!

9 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Both are - I tend to use Zinga there now but Mother India’s still about, that used to be decent. Think every man and his dogs played at Kelston - couple of our teams use it still but visitors are more from Downend than Dortmund...!

Blimey...still going. I seriously haven't been into Abbotswood for years. ? Check out the Currys made in Hatheralls yard. Thai, Jamaican and Indian. Worth a visit. Can highly recommended recommend. 

I was way too old for the Tournaments there. Shame as always drew a decent crowd.

48 minutes ago, spudski said:

Him, Russell and Keith Millen all keen Golfers. Played with all three in the past. Like you say...they are happy to chat, and all pleasant company. Think Keith is a member at Long Ashton or was.

Like a lot of retired players, Geoff is keener on golf these days than he is football.

Difficult not to like the man though. He's decent company. 

48 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Nope.

Its rough.

I think me bruvver put that on in 1980....jukebox must be broke ???

Archived