IGNORED

My guest, your guest

Silvio Dante

16 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Like a lot of retired players, Geoff is keener on golf these days than he is football.

Difficult not to like the man though. He's decent company. 

There are a lot of non retired players keener on golf than football too :laugh: ?

Gareth Bale is prime suspect number one.

Julian Dicks tried to turn Pro after footy from memory. He was in the four ball in front of me at the Oxfordshire in a Pro Am. Hit the ball like he tackled :laugh: 

Strange how footy and golf go hand in hand.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

There are a lot of non retired players keener on golf than football too :laugh: ?

Julian Dicks tried to turn Pro after footy from memory. He was in the four ball in front of me at the Oxfordshire in a Pro Am. Hit the ball like he tackled :laugh:

I guess it's partly because footballers find themselves with a fair bit of free time, especially in the afternoons after training. 

14 hours ago, spudski said:

Him, Russell and Keith Millen all keen Golfers. Played with all three in the past. Like you say...they are happy to chat, and all pleasant company. Think Keith is a member at Long Ashton or was.

I can confirm that GT now plays his golf at Long Ashton off a very handy 7.4 handicap.

Have only heard good things about him. Just a genuinely lovely guy.

14 hours ago, spudski said:

On 10/03/2021 at 21:09, spudski said:

It's a game played by people with money and time on their hands. As simple as that.

15 minutes ago, The Bard said:

It's a game played by people with money and time on their hands. As simple as that.

It used to be...now anyone can play it. 

Cheap to get started with so many good quality 2nd hand clubs for sale.

Membership at many clubs is comparable with season tickets. In fact I'd say it was cheaper overall when you take into consideration other costs.

I started as a Junior in the late 70s. Working class background...first set, was a half set from a catalogue paid monthly. Junior membership at Club was  cheap as chips. It still is at many clubs.

Used to ride my bike to club after school and play until dark. Spent every waking hour with mates during school holidays... basically lived at the club. Played 36 holes, practiced, took a packed lunch...loved it. 

When you consider the cost and time you can spend at a club compared to a season ticket then footy is far far more expensive.

Just as much working class hobby as footy imo.

Archived