IGNORED

Rotherham

GrahamC

Rumours on social media today from a couple of their fans that their 2 games next week (including one against us) are now in some doubt because of the Covid spread at the club.

They still have 13 games left to play & if those two are postponed will have to fit all of them inside a maximum of 6 weeks, which when you consider the Easter games as well, must put them at a massive disadvantage with regard to staying up.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Rumours on social media today from a couple of their fans that their 2 games next week (including one against us) are now in some doubt because of the Covid spread at the club.

They still have 13 games left to play & if those two are postponed will have to fit all of them inside a maximum of 6 weeks, which when you consider the Easter games as well, must put them at a massive disadvantage with regard to staying up.

Is there any more disadvantage with them with the amount of injuries that we have had this season and have still had to get on with it with say 4 or 5 under 21s on the bench every game ?

I'd be surprised with them having so many games left if they got out of it. It won't make any difference to us playing them later in the season as need probably 2 draws to be OK or one win in last 11 games.

Obviously Wycombe are gone and Sheff Wed need a miracle so that only leaves one space of which it will be close between Rotherham and Birmingham I think. Huddersfield possibly but I think all the others will be OK.

On 10/03/2021 at 21:05, Alex_BCFC said:

I'd be surprised with them having so many games left if they got out of it. It won't make any difference to us playing them later in the season as need probably 2 draws to be OK or one win in last 11 games.

Obviously Wycombe are gone and Sheff Wed need a miracle so that only leaves one space of which it will be close between Rotherham and Birmingham I think. Huddersfield possibly but I think all the others will be OK.

They’ll never have a better chance of staying in this league tbh. Three points adrift of a Brum team who are face down on the floor and playing top 6 sides in their next four matches I think it is and four games in hand. What they have to do to maximise points is target certain games and rotate the squad they have accordingly to avoid burn out. If they pick up four points from those games in hand which is still relegation form they then have to match Brum in the other ten games to stay up. Easier said I know but I’m sure they would have taken this position a couple of weeks back.

3 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

They’ll never have a better chance of staying in this league tbh. Three points adrift of a Brum team who are face down on the floor and playing top 6 sides in their next four matches I think it is and four games in hand. What they have to do to maximise points is target certain games and rotate the squad they have accordingly to avoid burn out. If they pick up four points from those games in hand which is still relegation form they then have to match Brum in the other ten games to stay up. Easier said I know but I’m sure they would have taken this position a couple of weeks back.

The big question is, do we want Birmingham to go down enough to roll over for Rotherham on Saturday.......................................

31 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

The big question is, do we want Birmingham to go down enough to roll over for Rotherham on Saturday.......................................

Why, nobody ever does us any favours . Birmingham are quite capable of managing their own demise. I think Wycombe and Sheffield Wednesday are down and then it's anyone from Forest(who have a tough set of games) to Rotherham who could take that final spot(although I think Rotherham will win or draw enough of their games in hand to be safe)

Last night showed exactly why it will be so hard for Rotherham to get out of it. They will have to contend with many games in a short period with a small squad of low but battling quality. I think it is pretty much 50:50 which one goes out of them and Brum. Birmingham will hope for a new manager bounce - if they had it then surely they would survive. as they probably only need 10 points more.

6 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Last night showed exactly why it will be so hard for Rotherham to get out of it. They will have to contend with many games in a short period with a small squad of low but battling quality. I think it is pretty much 50:50 which one goes out of them and Brum. Birmingham will hope for a new manager bounce - if they had it then surely they would survive. as they probably only need 10 points more.

Based on last night they only had 17 available with any first team experience, they named 8 subs & 2 of the unused ones have never played league football.

Seems like a number of those who did play had only tested negative the day before as well & were clearly not match fit, as they made all 5 substitutions with 10 minutes to go.

Their manager & another member of the coaching staff are still isolating & they know that because of the international break & the number of games that they still have to fit in, they will have to play 4 games in a week at some point.

Really are up against it.

23 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Based on last night they only had 17 available with any first team experience, they named 8 subs & 2 of the unused ones have never played league football.

Seems like a number of those who did play had only tested negative the day before as well & were clearly not match fit, as they made all 5 substitutions with 10 minutes to go.

Their manager & another member of the coaching staff are still isolating & they know that because of the international break & the number of games that they still have to fit in, they will have to play 4 games in a week at some point.

Really are up against it.

Sounds very much like us earlier in the season.  How many subs have we had without previous league football experience this season?  Must be at least half a dozen if not more...

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Sounds very much like us earlier in the season.  How many subs have we had without previous league football experience this season?  Must be at least half a dozen if not more...

Yes, it does.

Difference is I’d expect our wage bill is more than double theirs (maybe even 3 times) & we probably have a first team squad that is 8 players larger.

I reckon we have probably put 8 on the bench who had no league experience at all at the time.

Archived