IGNORED

Birmingham City pre match press conference / matchday build up

Unan

• The title was changed to Birmingham City pre match press conference / matchday build up

Fair play to AS, stepped up well this season in difficult times.

I just hope we can handle the set pieces this time around especially with Jutkiewicz sniffing around at the end of crosses. If Nagy and Vyner are fit to play I would keep the same starting line up we had for QPR.

Would take a point but over the moon with a win.

2 hours ago, Lrrr said:

I can see Pearson getting irritated with Gregor continually asking about returning players, looks like from his side he's explained whats needed for returns and Gregor keeps asking

Agree, saw a glimpse of NP sounding a tad exasperated by Gregory’s repetitive questions, ‘as I think I’ve said before’ roughly translated ‘did you not listen last time?’ Loved the ‘what is a thing, is that I communicate and communication is really important’ reply. 

I really enjoy listening to NP

56 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Agree, saw a glimpse of NP sounding a tad exasperated by Gregory’s repetitive questions, ‘as I think I’ve said before’ roughly translated ‘did you not listen last time?’ Loved the ‘what is a thing, is that I communicate and communication is really important’ reply. 

I really enjoy listening to NP

Not sure personally, find his passive aggressive incredulity at being asked pretty normal questions a little unnecessary personally. NP had previously discussed his view on not rushing players back but I dont see how that means GG cant ask a question about whether specific players who played in the u23 game might feature in the upcoming match.

I guess he just doesnt want to give it away so is avoiding answering the question but still...

16 minutes ago, SedRA said:

Not sure personally, find his passive aggressive incredulity at being asked pretty normal questions a little unnecessary personally. NP had previously discussed his view on not rushing players back but I dont see how that means GG cant ask a question about whether specific players who played in the u23 game might feature in the upcoming match.

I guess he just doesnt want to give it away so is avoiding answering the question but still...

Have to agree with you. He hasn’t asked “what’s your view on injured players returning?”, he has simply asked about what players may be available following the U23’s game. Totally get he doesn’t want to give too much away, but maybe answer in a different tone. I do like listening to him though! COYR 

You can tell Gregor is a low level journo. He is far better with written articles than any type of direct media contact. He comes across as a scruffy little boy asking questions for the sake of it. Nige is going to end up toasting him one day I’m sure of it.

Gregor needs to hit reset button, his interviews with NP have an edgy confrontational quality that was suited to when we were all getting rightly annoyed with the club but things have moved on & GMG needs a gear change or it’s going to be a tough old gig each week.

Pearson looks like a nightmare to interview! I thought the questions were polite and straight-forward. And the kind of thing I wanted to know. Can you give us any news on the guys who had head injuries? Will Walsh be playing? Very indirectly he asked can anything be done to toughen up the defence? Are you excited about some of the academy prospects? Do you think Birmingham's bad home record counts for anything?

Fair enough to play your cards close to your chest, totally get it, but there's no harm adding a little sugar. Pearson acts and sounds like McGregor is being hostile and trying to catch him out. Definitely sounds edgy, I agree with the post above, but didn't look to me like McGregor could have done anything else.

10 minutes ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

Pearson looks like a nightmare to interview! I thought the questions were polite and straight-forward. And the kind of thing I wanted to know. Can you give us any news on the guys who had head injuries? Will Walsh be playing? Very indirectly he asked can anything be done to toughen up the defence? Are you excited about some of the academy prospects? Do you think Birmingham's bad home record counts for anything?

Fair enough to play your cards close to your chest, totally get it, but there's no harm adding a little sugar. Pearson acts and sounds like McGregor is being hostile and trying to catch him out. Definitely sounds edgy, I agree with the post above, but didn't look to me like McGregor could have done anything else.

I think some of the reaction is because the same questions were asked on Tuesday, post the u23 game.

I get the impression he’d rather be asked:

- how are the injured players doing

rather than

- any chance some might be included on Saturday

I don’t necessarily think it’s Pearson per se, I think Holden felt similarly about contract questions.

10 minutes ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

Thing is Gregor isn't varying the question as if he's expecting an LJ or Dean who'd then expand on the question asked, Pearson sounds direct to the point and he'll answer the question asked. Ideas for how Gregor could have asked questions after the U23's game for example 

'You've previously stated you don't want to see players rushed back from injury and that you want them back for good, how does completing 90 minutes for the u23's rank? Can we expect Liam to feature again for the u23's or is it likely he's ready for first team action even if in a limited capacity?'

And when continually asking about his impression of academy players, instead ask along the lines of 

'You had your first chance to see academy players who've been training with the first team such as Sam Bell, Tommy Conway and Alex Scott in a competitive game, what did you make of their performances?' 

9 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Thing is Gregor isn't varying the question as if he's expecting an LJ or Dean who'd then expand on the question asked, Pearson sounds direct to the point and he'll answer the question asked. Ideas for how Gregor could have asked questions after the U23's game for example 

'You've previously stated you don't want to see players rushed back from injury and that you want them back for good, how does completing 90 minutes for the u23's rank? Can we expect Liam to feature again for the u23's or is it likely he's ready for first team action even if in a limited capacity?'

And when continually asking about his impression of academy players, instead ask along the lines of 

'You had your first chance to see academy players who've been training with the first team such as Sam Bell, Tommy Conway and Alex Scott in a competitive game, what did you make of their performances?' 

Seems the exact opposite to me, highly verbose. 

He’s a smart guy, he knows what Gregor is asking - are any of the players that came through the u23 game looking like they’ll be in the squad Saturday? 

Simply respond to it or say you don’t want to, no need for the slight bullying/intimidation angle. 

Obviously there’s a bit of a love in for NP right now but I guarantee down the line people will get annoyed with this attitude. 

(Unless he takes us to the premier league title and champions of Europe, then I’m sure he can act however he wants ?)

I think Walsh has had the most minutes for U23's (?) so guessing it will be him involved - if either Nagy or Vyner are not back/have had a week off we could even see him start. COD too maybe but suspect he'll stick with Sess. 

Baker and Watkins bench at best. 

My hunch is that Pearson is very much the type of old school manager who would prefer not to be chucking in a lot of youngsters at the same time, so this line of questioning is highly likely to irritate him.

Obvious already that to put it mildly Nige is one of those who doesn’t suffer fools gladly, so I can’t see their relationship being anything but frosty if Gregor doesn’t read the room..

3 hours ago, SedRA said:

He’s a smart guy, he knows what Gregor is asking - are any of the players that came through the u23 game looking like they’ll be in the squad Saturday? 

Simply respond to it or say you don’t want to, no need for the slight bullying/intimidation angle. 

Obviously there’s a bit of a love in for NP right now but I guarantee down the line people will get annoyed with this attitude. 

(Unless he takes us to the premier league title and champions of Europe, then I’m sure he can act however he wants ?)

Tend to agree.

But he did say that he can sometimes unintentionally come over as obnoxious.

15 hours ago, Cardy said:

You can tell Gregor is a low level journo. He is far better with written articles than any type of direct media contact. He comes across as a scruffy little boy asking questions for the sake of it. Nige is going to end up toasting him one day I’m sure of it.

Stockhausen, is that you?

4 hours ago, Alessandro said:

I think Walsh has had the most minutes for U23's (?) so guessing it will be him involved - if either Nagy or Vyner are not back/have had a week off we could even see him start. COD too maybe but suspect he'll stick with Sess. 

Baker and Watkins bench at best. 

He has, he played 60 odd minutes a week ago & the full 90 in midweek, so seems certain to be on the bench at the very least.

None of Baker, Watkins or O’Dowda had featured before, NB hasn’t played previously this season, Marley last played in November & Callum on Boxing Day, my guess would be no more than 1 of these 3 will be on the bench.

Vyner & Nagy will both be available I think, the 6 day protocol has passed, & both will be naturally fit having played a lot of football this season, Zak in particular seems certain to start.

5 hours ago, SedRA said:

???

That is all

Archived