Jump to content
IGNORED

Wilder


Recommended Posts

You can argue Wilders a victim of his own success, but there is a rationale for getting rid.

In the first season up there was real momentum - for any team that fades (For SU it was exaggerated by the fans not being there), so the question then becomes in season 2/3 at the higher level can you offset the momentum loss by good recruitment at that level. And he didn’t - Ramsdale, Brewster etc. So the promoted team reached their ceiling, were on a natural downward trajectory and his trading indicated he couldn’t improve them at that level.

Contrast here with Villa - worse last season but the summer recruitment once established gives a narrative of building on the momentum.

Not saying I’d have sacked him, but I get the rationale here.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

To restructure the club 

Think the owner needs to be careful what he wishes for. With the teams ahead of them, ninth in the PL is probably their ceiling. Of course relegation this year is bad for them, but you would have backed Wilder to get them straight back up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All good things come to an end at some point. Wilder has done a brilliant job at the Blades but this year it has all come undone and he doesn’t appear to have the answers. 
 

Will the next man do as well ? 
 

Nobody knows but something had to change there and it will be a new departure for the club. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Quite right to. Wilder would have done a Dyche and brought them straight back up.

It was a panic sacking.

Wilder for Celtic?         :cool2:

I'd actually say Newcastle if they get relegated and get rid of Bruce

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It hard to name a promoted team that overachieved more than Sheffield Utd last season. For many reasons they have had a massive drop off this year but overall the job they have done is superb, I think the Sheff U owners have been extremely lucky to have such a successful spell because it doesn't look like they invested loads so if their changes don't work out then they will be very unpopular. Will be interested to see who is the replacement and whether or not they have experience in the Championship.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Wolf Island said:

Sheff U lucked out with Wilder. A few key players left or leaving, haven’t improved the squad a great deal. Mid table Champ club once again.

No they didn't, you don't go from league 1 to premier league finishing top half by luck while retaining a good amount of the league 1 squad, he's done a cracking job with them the loss of CB's hurt them as they play a massive part of their game. Also potentially a victim of no crowd effect and the difference between a Brammel Lane with and without fans

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

All good things come to an end at some point. Wilder has done a brilliant job at the Blades but this year it has all come undone and he doesn’t appear to have the answers. 
 

Will the next man do as well ? 
 

Nobody knows but something had to change there and it will be a new departure for the club. 
 

 

Neither did Daniel Farke have the answers when it unraveled for him, but look at this season.

  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the Blades have had their little jolly now and it's back to the Championship grind for them. They don't have a very strong squad but they'll lose Lundstram and a few others in the Summer and will be back to square one.

In the Summer, City and Blades will be competing to see who can rebuild better.

Edited by mozo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Isn't it the yoyo boys with Norwich, Fulham and Sheff U to name a few. One season your up then you are down. Its more of a financial committment these days to get to the very top. A club needs more than a Coach to get to the top but an effective board and Executive Management. Owner, Head Coach and Executive Manager needs to be in sync. Not a Wealthy guru, toy boy and a yoyo up/ down coach. Sorry, but that appears to be what it is......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Easy answer - Pearson as he is already here, things are already changing for the better, and this club has been crying out for a man like him for a long time.

If however, Nige didn't want to stick with it after the season has finished, and from listening to what he says, he fully intends to, then Wilder would be a fantastic appointment. He's done wonders there, and had them punching well above their weight last season. 

It's because of last season, I'm surprised they find themselves in the position they are in currently. Is their squad that much different this season to last? The obvious change is Henderson going back to Man Utd, but other than that have they made wholesale changes? 

You do occasionally get 1 club that has a fluke season, does exceptionally well and then falls away the following year, but this is a large fall from grace considering how well they did last year.

Norwich have shown the way to go IMO. Clearly going down last season, but made it clear that they intended to stick with Farke this year, regroup and go back up (well unless the wheels fall off completely!) If Norwich had struggled to get results, then they would have changed who was in charge I'm sure.

Personally I'd have stuck with Wilder to rebuild next season and have another crack. If by October/November things aren't looking great, make the change then.

Saying all of this, you don't know what has been said behind closed doors, or whether he has fallen out with players. As we all know, you lose the dressing room, you're out on your ear. Perhaps the players have decided to not play for him anymore, and if that's the case then there's not a lot you can do other than give him his marching orders.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

You can argue Wilders a victim of his own success, but there is a rationale for getting rid.

In the first season up there was real momentum - for any team that fades (For SU it was exaggerated by the fans not being there), so the question then becomes in season 2/3 at the higher level can you offset the momentum loss by good recruitment at that level. And he didn’t - Ramsdale, Brewster etc. So the promoted team reached their ceiling, were on a natural downward trajectory and his trading indicated he couldn’t improve them at that level.

Contrast here with Villa - worse last season but the summer recruitment once established gives a narrative of building on the momentum.

Not saying I’d have sacked him, but I get the rationale here.

Wilder wanted at least two who went to Aston Villa apparently but was outmatched on fees/wages possibly.

On his target list so I've read were Cash, Robinson, Watkins.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, ontariored said:

Isn't it the yoyo boys with Norwich, Fulham and Sheff U to name a few. One season your up then you are down. Its more of a financial committment these days to get to the very top. A club needs more than a Coach to get to the top but an effective board and Executive Management. Owner, Head Coach and Executive Manager needs to be in sync. Not a Wealthy guru, toy boy and a yoyo up/ down coach. Sorry, but that appears to be what it is......

Norwich, Fulham, West Brom are yoyo.

Wilder pulled them out of the doldrums after several years in League 1, promoted year 1 with 90+ points. 

Top half and challenging at this level. Fine midfield in Fleck, Coutts, Lundstram (I think).

Built on it, 2018/19 with varied signings yet selling one of their top creators (Brooks). Brilliant promotion, 9th in Year 1.

FA Cup QF too and in it this season too.

Their margins last season were often quite thin. Suspect they were reliant on crowds more than many, they'll struggle to find better IMO.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Seems like its a disagreement with the new owner over transfers and wanting Wilder to convert to a head coach position with a DOF brought in over him

Urgh, Benny Lennartson flashback... This could not end well for them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Taz said:

Easy answer - Pearson as he is already here, things are already changing for the better, and this club has been crying out for a man like him for a long time.

If however, Nige didn't want to stick with it after the season has finished, and from listening to what he says, he fully intends to, then Wilder would be a fantastic appointment. He's done wonders there, and had them punching well above their weight last season. 

It's because of last season, I'm surprised they find themselves in the position they are in currently. Is their squad that much different this season to last? The obvious change is Henderson going back to Man Utd, but other than that have they made wholesale changes? 

You do occasionally get 1 club that has a fluke season, does exceptionally well and then falls away the following year, but this is a large fall from grace considering how well they did last year.

Norwich have shown the way to go IMO. Clearly going down last season, but made it clear that they intended to stick with Farke this year, regroup and go back up (well unless the wheels fall off completely!) If Norwich had struggled to get results, then they would have changed who was in charge I'm sure.

Personally I'd have stuck with Wilder to rebuild next season and have another crack. If by October/November things aren't looking great, make the change then.

Saying all of this, you don't know what has been said behind closed doors, or whether he has fallen out with players. As we all know, you lose the dressing room, you're out on your ear. Perhaps the players have decided to not play for him anymore, and if that's the case then there's not a lot you can do other than give him his marching orders.

 

Without naming names he did throw them under the bus recently saying that several were not good enough and would have to leave in the summer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Without naming names he did throw them under the bus recently saying that several were not good enough and would have to leave in the summer.

Ah. The modern day footballer having their feelings hurt!

To be fair compare this season to last, you can see where he's coming from though...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I said back in July that it was all about the go pear shaped for him. We beat them after restart and he was calling his players ‘League 1 players’ and implying they owed their success to him. Never going to go down well.

He might whinge about a lack of backing but the players he’s signed since coming up have been crap. Whether he got his first choices or not, he’s still spent plenty of money on players that havent offered enough. Given he has more control than most managers on transfers, and given he’s seemingly made a conscious decision not to look abroad, he has to carry the can for that crap rather than just deflecting blame onto the board for not giving him a bigger budget/getting Cash and Watkins. Don’t spend 18m on Ramsdale if it means you can’t afford someone else.

Think Sheffield United will be better off without him going forward. Can’t take away what he’s achieved but clear it got to the stage where he was going to have to leave.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

No they didn't, you don't go from league 1 to premier league finishing top half by luck while retaining a good amount of the league 1 squad, he's done a cracking job with them the loss of CB's hurt them as they play a massive part of their game. Also potentially a victim of no crowd effect and the difference between a Brammel Lane with and without fans

You misunderstand me Lrrrrrr. What I mean is, they were lucky to appoint such a talented manager who was able to take them from L1 to Premier League. He was a good candidate at the time with his success at Northampton but no one could’ve predicted the impact he had. Good on him for refusing to work to the new owner’s terms. Nailed on for a move to a bigger club.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Wolf Island said:

You misunderstand me Lrrrrrr. What I mean is, they were lucky to appoint such a talented manager who was able to take them from L1 to Premier League. He was a good candidate at the time with his success at Northampton but no one could’ve predicted the impact he had. Good on him for refusing to work to the new owner’s terms. Nailed on for a move to a bigger club.

While I agree with a lot of your post and while he certainly has the attributes, if he doesn't like the Director of Football/Sporting Director model, might this not limit his options markedly.

Same goes for managers of a similar type. Higher you go the more prevalent it becomes etc. Smaller pool of jobs available the result.

That said Wilder, brilliant body of work there. Added to boardroom turmoil over a few seasons, two co-owners wrangling he papered over huge cracks IMO 

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

While I agree with a lot of your post and while he certainly has the attributes, if he doesn't like the Director of Football/Sporting Director model, might this not limit his options markedly.

Same goes for managers of a similar type. Higher you go the more prevalent it becomes etc. Smaller pool of jobs available the result.

That said Wilder, brilliant body of work there. Added to boardroom turmoil over a few seasons, two co-owners wrangling he papered over huge cracks IMO 

What we don’t know is the specific setup and terms being created at Sheff U. Also it might rankle to have remit reduced at current club in a way it wouldn’t at a new one. I’m very confident that the new owners new appointment won’t have the same success as Wilder.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...