IGNORED

Gambling Adverts banned by Bristol City Council

E.G.Red

So any club advertisement around town can't have its sponsor on it? That'll go down well with Mansion Bet...

'The approach forms part of the council’s commitment to consider ‘Health in all Policies’, with campaigners, despite welcoming the move, suggesting that the ban of certain products on council owned property, such as bus shelters, billboards, and digital screens, doesn’t go far enough.'

8 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Been on the cards for ages. I give it another 2/3 years max until all bookies are banned from TV too. 

Will be a huge influx in car dealership/general challenger brands sweeping up all the availability probably.

Good. All the gambling ads on TV are a real plague at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Agreed. What happened to "when the fun stops, stop."

I was watching a gambling advert (Ladbrooks I think) the other day and the thing that immediately struck me was it was these three guys all having a great time and enjoying themselves. It sends out completely the wrong message.

To top it off "When the fun stops, stop" gets half a second at the end of the advert.  Plague could not be a better word to describe it.

17 minutes ago, PhilC said:

I was watching a gambling advert (Ladbrooks I think) the other day and the thing that immediately struck me was it was these three guys all having a great time and enjoying themselves. It sends out completely the wrong message.

To top it off "When the fun stops, stop" gets half a second at the end of the advert.  Plague could not be a better word to describe it.

‘When the funs stop, stop’ shouldn’t even be a thing tbh. Shouldn’t employ Its fun in the first place. I only bet about £5/£10 a week and never in my life have I thought ‘ooo, this is Fun’ ?

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

As are all the football stadiums named after gambling organisations. At least we won't have to worry about Ashton Gate being called The Mansion Bet stadium

1 hour ago, Banned User said:

Must be clauses in contracts etc. How will this work? With immediate effect?

38 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Makes no difference, statute overrides contract in all circumstances.

Does @Banned User mean clauses to deal to agree what would happen if gambling Sponsorship or advertising was made illegal?

Mansion Bet must have known they weren't going to be on the shirts forever and will likely have been forewarned about how the council feel about public advertising, if they hadn't they'll be unhappy about being taken away & it wouldn't be the end of the world if both club and sponsor just cut ties.

It wouldn't suprise me if the contract was higher value but with more withdrawal clauses - I assumed it was a calculated gamble when they swapped Dunder for Mansion Bet.

On the plus side, if the MB deal has to get torn up midseason, Hargreaves Lansdown isn't a sustainable solution but SLs link does mean we will probably never be without a shirt sponsor while he is the owner.

Support this to be honest. Been pretty alarmed at the tsunami of tv sport betting adds since I discovered that my 18 year old son and virtually all his 6th form mates had opened online accounts and were betting small amounts regularly via their phones. Bit of fun and the sums weren’t life changing, but I hate to think we’re some of these lads will be in a few years. When I was a 6th former in the early 80’s ( Churchill Comprehensive) we were footy mad but no one would be arsed to go to a betting shop, yet I’ve still had mates struggle with a variety of addictions. Most of these businesses are based offshore, pay no  identifiable tax and the add money goes to Sky, not to football directly. So, while anyone should be allowed to have a bet if they want, I’m struggling to see the benefits of this to football.

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Not our problem, one for Mansion Bet to worry about.

If anything, it could work to the advantage of the club if it means the advertising space on a shirt carries more of a premium if sponsors can't advertise on billboards.

Think it would actually be the reverse, not as many opportunities for the sponsorship to be so widespread so we're going to make less from sponsorship now

2 hours ago, PhilC said:

getting away with having such a pathetic weak slogan is what you get for having the more powerful lobby group in the land, basically, buying clauses in law for cash - rotten & corrupt to the core

1 hour ago, Banned User said:

I'm thinking more so of MansionBet wanting some money back from us.

Can't see the logic there.

'Can we have some money back from the football club because we can't advertise on a bus stop?' 

I think the bigger issue will be advertising The Sky Bet Championship.

10 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Can't see the logic there.

'Can we have some money back from the football club because we can't advertise on a bus stop?' 

I think the bigger issue will be advertising The Sky Bet Championship.

Probably comes as a package for where the club can advertise their brand, suddenly the visibility has diminished and the package of places they can have their sponsorship decreased and therefore a decrease in how much they'd want to pay us.

Wouldn't be wanting to have any fun in Little Pyongyang would you? Not there's much chance of that these days given the Council HATES the City's history, visitors, business or anyone who doesn't accord with their diktat.

Perhaps the Council will take out adverts to remind ratepayers of the £35m they s***ked on Bristol Energy (just to rub their noses in it,) or the £400k of their money they've just 'lost' to Avon Mutual, the most ridiculous enterprise that's already said it'll need upward of another £20m to commence operation to deliver a product that absolute nobody (other than freeloaders) wants and that flies in the face of the rest of the finance industry.

The Council doesn't want you to have fun for you might want more and it'll reflect badly on the utter sh*tshow they've delivered for decades.

1 hour ago, DaveInSA said:

Good.

And they can lump all those gaming adverts in as well.

What a scourge on society gambling is.....

....oh but we contribute millions on taxes.

and create misery for millions, who are addicted. 

Same as anything though , should we ban alcohol and fatty food adverts which effect millions more a year than gambling does 

where is the line drawn

4 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

As are all the football stadiums named after gambling organisations. At least we won't have to worry about Ashton Gate being called The Mansion Bet stadium

Isn't Hargreaves Lansdown essentially a gambling organisation? So the Lansdown Stand should go

What a pity they didn’t ban energy companies adverts first.

Could have saved the Bristol Tax Payer a fortune two pence if ‘Bristol Energy’, or whatever they were called, hadn’t erected the Family Canopy at The Swamp.

6 hours ago, petehinton said:

Been on the cards for ages. I give it another 2/3 years max until all bookies are banned from TV too. 

Will be a huge influx in car dealership/general challenger brands sweeping up all the availability probably.

Agreed, a bit like what happened with F1 and tabacco sponsorship - then mobile phone companies sweeping in. 

Archived