IGNORED

Gambling Adverts banned by Bristol City Council

E.G.Red

Seriously...does anyone take notice of adverts these days?

Surely if you want something you Google it or ask mates for recommendations.

I cannot think of one time in my life where I've looked at an advert and wanted what it was advertising, unless it was say a hobby.

Who looks at an advert for betting and thinks I'm gonna use them or start betting?

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

I cannot think of one time in my life where I've looked at an advert and wanted what it was advertising, unless it was say a hobby.

Who looks at an advert for betting and thinks I'm gonna use them or start betting?

How do you know what you want if pictures and images aren't rammed down your throat 

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

image.png.3e65d1e7d9cc7bc30a2b3e4b8e6be733.png

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

People who see ‘bet £10 get £40’ as basically receiving £30 for free?

13 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

How do you know what you want if pictures and images aren't rammed down your throat 

the one that gets me is cruise ads and programmes,who in their right minds would board one of those virus pits at the moment and be couped up on it for a week or two

26 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

25 minutes ago, reddoh said:

image.png.3e65d1e7d9cc7bc30a2b3e4b8e6be733.png

25 minutes ago, petehinton said:

People who see ‘bet £10 get £40’ as basically receiving £30 for free?

So they are easily led and can't think for themselves?

3 hours ago, spudski said:

It must work or they wouldn't spend millions on advertising. 

Remember the bookies always win (except for the one that sponsored Bristol Jonahs) 

3 hours ago, spudski said:

I work in advertising so would disagree. You mention unless it was a hobby, essentially advertising is only there to target people who would be interested. 

People may not immediately think I'm going to use them, but when thinking of betting companies now I'd say Mansion Bet. I wouldn't of said them a year ago. If i wanted to bet I'd consider them, and that's essentially the point of it, awareness. 

Im against advertising gambling but surely with the mem about a mile from south glous bus stops can be decorated a further up filton road and all over kinsgswood and downend? Also where is the line if city advertise the club and the poster has city players in kit is that deemed gambling ad due to thier shirts sponser?

7 hours ago, bristolmoose said:

It must work or they wouldn't spend millions on advertising. 

Remember the bookies always win (except for the one that sponsored Bristol Jonahs) 

7 hours ago, Selred said:

I work in advertising so would disagree. You mention unless it was a hobby, essentially advertising is only there to target people who would be interested. 

People may not immediately think I'm going to use them, but when thinking of betting companies now I'd say Mansion Bet. I wouldn't of said them a year ago. If i wanted to bet I'd consider them, and that's essentially the point of it, awareness. 

1 hour ago, RedLionLad said:

You would think companies like Coca Cola and McDonalds wouldn’t need to advertise......but they do.

In fact they still spend millions on advertising.

I get the awareness bit...however...do companies ever realise advertising can also have a negative effect sublimity?

Pop up adverts particularly. 

The most annoying way of advertising. People get mad at them...and if you do take any notice of the name, you then associate it with a negative feeling.

A couple of friends who run companies have turned down advertising in such ways when offered to. Reason being...' why would I want to advertise my company in a way that irritates so many people...'

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I get the awareness bit...however...do companies ever realise advertising can also have a negative effect sublimity?

Pop up adverts particularly. 

The most annoying way of advertising. People get mad at them...and if you do take any notice of the name, you then associate it with a negative feeling.

A couple of friends who run companies have turned down advertising in such ways when offered to. Reason being...' why would I want to advertise my company in a way that irritates so many people...'

Absolutely. But with pop ups I can almost guarentee that none of them brands that use them you'll actually know or heard of. Pop ups are so cheap, and the point of them are for cheap clicks. So that's why you'll only see them for awful online bingo companies for example. 

14 hours ago, spudski said:

Well our friends in blue do. Look at the uproar when Mansion Bet were advertising on bus shelters and billboards near to the memorial stadium.

17 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Red Bull Bristol City anyone?

Caffeinated drinks cause untold misery to weak-willed, idiots who are unable to enjoy the odd can or two but who become addicted to quaffing dozens of the things each day to get their fix - staying up all night, fidgeting, talking gibberish. It's not their lack of self-control to blame, it's the evil folks who invent such beverages.

Why would City wish to be associated with such an evil enterprise?

It's time to dump on-line gambling companies from football.  They are insidious and I have never bought a City shirt since they stared being sponsored by gambling firms.

Also irritating the amount of gambling adverts on Sky Sports.  I am not against gambling per se and have the odd flutter on the Grand National and do the Lotto but all this on-line bingo and other apps just preys on gullible people.

4 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Caffeinated drinks cause untold misery to weak-willed, idiots who are unable to enjoy the odd can or two but who become addicted to quaffing dozens of the things each day to get their fix - staying up all night, fidgeting, talking gibberish. It's not their lack of self-control to blame, it's the evil folks who invent such beverages.

Why would City wish to be associated with such an evil enterprise?

I wasn`t being serious mate!

Archived