IGNORED

If That's the Future Under Pearson......

Port Said Red

15 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

That game was three months ago - what made you compare today’s game to a fixture way back in the dim and distant?! ??

Opposition style was exactly the same, physical, direct, kick it long, we didn’t have a plan to deal with it & looked a shambles.

Today we did & were impressive.

What I enjoyed too was seeing them working on shape in the Failand uncut video, pressing and moving as a team - and then seeing it on the pitch in a game.

Yep Brum hit the woodwork twice, but for 2 or 3 better placed passes we could also have been 1 or 2 up during that same period. The move that led to their first post chance came from a poor ball that should have put Wells clean through, for example.

Yes still things to work on as always, but what an improvement already. I like the look of his 4-2-3-1 and hope he can get 2 or 3 big additions in the summer for it.

12 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Blues deserved to be 2-0 up before we scored a breakaway. Did we have a strong enough bench to claw back from this position and what would all the happy chappies be saying if we'd lost to the terrible Birmingham side that hit the woodwork twice when it looked easier to score?

My dear old dad, now sadly departed - raised in the shadow of Eastville just off the Stapleton Road; no interest in football whatsoever - gawd bless him, he used to say to me after I trudged home following a thoroughly undeserved defeat whining about "nearly" this and "should've" that:

"a miss is as good as a mile"

And when we didn't miss, and scored a hatful instead, he'd ask:

"who were you playing, the Blind School?" * 

*Pre PC gone mad days.

2 hours ago, Alessandro said:

What I enjoyed too was seeing them working on shape in the Failand uncut video, pressing and moving as a team - and then seeing it on the pitch in a game.

Yep Brum hit the woodwork twice, but for 2 or 3 better placed passes we could also have been 1 or 2 up during that same period. The move that led to their first post chance came from a poor ball that should have put Wells clean through, for example.

Yes still things to work on as always, but what an improvement already. I like the look of his 4-2-3-1 and hope he can get 2 or 3 big additions in the summer for it.

Agree, we had some good moments early on too.  Fam should’ve taken the ball forward rather than shoot, Semenyo should’ve done better when through, and Palmer should’ve done better with a couple of passes.

There are always ifs, buts and maybes.

6 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

Quite right..

We could easily have been 2-0 down today first half to a poor side.................so much 'waxing lyrical' - plenty to work on.

Let’s remember they are a awful team and are likely go down and we should be good enough to beat them 

The results against Swansea & Middlesbrough were far more impressive and satisfying 

NP needs to address our home form now and with players coming back from injury I expect us to kick on and have a decent end to the season 

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree, we had some good moments early on too.  Fam should’ve taken the ball forward rather than shoot, Semenyo should’ve done better when through, and Palmer should’ve done better with a couple of passes.

There are always ifs, buts and maybes.

I felt he did all he could Dave, I was surprised that Wells wasn't pushing to attack the ball rather than staying far post hoping the defender missed it.

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I felt he did all he could Dave, I was surprised that Wells wasn't pushing to attack the ball rather than staying far post hoping the defender missed it.

For me, he needed to get across the defenders path, so that he has a better angle or gets brought down.    That’s me being hyper-critical, but that’s an area he can improve.

Hi all, congratulations on the good result yesterday!

As you can tell by my username, I'm a big supporter of Pearson and thought I'd drop in to give you an idea behind his style. He's often viewed as defensive (Maybe because he's English and has that reputation from that) but he's anything but. In our 2013-14 was played a good 442, pressing high and pinning teams back against their own defense, and dominated the league really well that season. Part of the ability to do that, and even what we went onto do after was because of Pearson's big belief in sports science. I will say that he is good at seeing games out and will make the changes needed to shore up the defence to hold on to the lead. He likes flair players in his teams but will not accept passengers, so if you have any 'big time Charlies' who don't put a shift in, they'll likely be off. 

The downside with Pearson is that sometimes he can go too far in the other direction and be too loyal to a player who you'll be looking at and wondering why the hell he's still in the team. That said, he will be loyal to the less talented if they work hard, but if they do neither then like I said they'll be gone. He will occasionally go on runs where it looks like he has no idea what's going on, but once he cracks it he gets the team playing for him. Honestly, if your board give him the chance and time to build a project (Which he really hasn't had since us, due to taking the wrong jobs unfortunately) he will leave your club in a much better place than he found it. His scouting team developments are still paying massive dividends for us today, and he builds a team with a real togetherness and strong mentality. 

1 hour ago, LCFCFAN96 said:

Hi all, congratulations on the good result yesterday!

As you can tell by my username, I'm a big supporter of Pearson and thought I'd drop in to give you an idea behind his style. He's often viewed as defensive (Maybe because he's English and has that reputation from that) but he's anything but. In our 2013-14 was played a good 442, pressing high and pinning teams back against their own defense, and dominated the league really well that season. Part of the ability to do that, and even what we went onto do after was because of Pearson's big belief in sports science. I will say that he is good at seeing games out and will make the changes needed to shore up the defence to hold on to the lead. He likes flair players in his teams but will not accept passengers, so if you have any 'big time Charlies' who don't put a shift in, they'll likely be off. 

The downside with Pearson is that sometimes he can go too far in the other direction and be too loyal to a player who you'll be looking at and wondering why the hell he's still in the team. That said, he will be loyal to the less talented if they work hard, but if they do neither then like I said they'll be gone. He will occasionally go on runs where it looks like he has no idea what's going on, but once he cracks it he gets the team playing for him. Honestly, if your board give him the chance and time to build a project (Which he really hasn't had since us, due to taking the wrong jobs unfortunately) he will leave your club in a much better place than he found it. His scouting team developments are still paying massive dividends for us today, and he builds a team with a real togetherness and strong mentality. 

So......... Lee Johnson then? :) 

24 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

So......... Lee Johnson then? 

I don't think he's as bad as that from what I've seen of LJ. The loyalty can be questionable at times but it does breed a good spirit for the squad so I'm sure he had his reasons. Hell, there ass a time where we were wondering why he was persevering with Vardy and look where that got us in the end! Hopefully Pearson gets the chance to build his squad and have the choice on who to keep and who to ship out. That's what will seperate you from the other teams in the championship because he will set you up brilliantly if given the time. 

22 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Blues deserved to be 2-0 up before we scored a breakaway. Did we have a strong enough bench to claw back from this position and what would all the happy chappies be saying if we'd lost to the terrible Birmingham side that hit the woodwork twice when it looked easier to score?

@Hampshire Red

You had to be the one who mentioned the bombardment of our uprights.

We all know what happened but choose to conveniently ignore the events and wallow in the delight of a third consecutive away win with three goals again and a clean sheet.

Life and football are full of "if only" situations. This is one of them!

8 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

@Hampshire Red

We all know what happened but choose to conveniently ignore the events and wallow in the delight of a third consecutive away win with three goals again and a clean sheet.

I never like to talk about teams hitting the woodwork, only that they missed a chance. It's just a closer and more spectacular way of missing. :)

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

I never like to talk about teams hitting the woodwork, only that they missed a chance. It's just a closer and more spectacular way of missing. :)

And it doesn`t count as a shot on target!

Who was it on here a few years back who reckoned teams should get something for hitting the woodwork?

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

@Hampshire Red

We could/should have been 2-0 up before they hit the post the first time. If those had gone in, we might have won by a few more. Absolutely no difference between hitting the post and missing by a country mile - its still a miss.

FWIW, I thought it was a hard fought performance from City with a couple of stand out performances. Worth the three points though as we were better than Birmingham all over the pitch. They were pretty abysmal imo.

10 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

My dear old dad, now sadly departed - raised in the shadow of Eastville just off the Stapleton Road; no interest in football whatsoever - gawd bless him, he used to say to me after I trudged home following a thoroughly undeserved defeat whining about "nearly" this and "should've" that:

"a miss is as good as a mile"

And when we didn't miss, and scored a hatful instead, he'd ask:

"who were you playing, the Blind School?" * 

*Pre PC gone mad days.

@Moments of Pleasure

Lovely post. He would have had a field day with his comments about our recent (last 3 years) non performances.

My Dad was a supporter who actually saw First Division in the Billy Wedlock era and again with AD's days. He was gutted when we lost but always made good attempts to conceal his thoughts.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Would you say Pearson had a big part to play in the recruitment? Like do fans know how it worked back then? Did he bring in the scouts and did he give them instructions of what he needed. Did he have the final say. Etc.

I'm not sure how much was his hand directly in the recruitment of the scouts, but he did bring Steve Walsh and Craig Shakespeare with him as assistants. Walsh was the Head scout but we had lower scouts who would be searching in places like France to find players with potential. The key thing was that Pearson generally didn't like to operate publically when enquiring about players and quite a few signings came out of nowhere, but had been researched for a long time. We wouldn't buy a player because he was talented alone, he had to fit the character of the group. It was all very data analytical which is the norm now, but I certainly hadn't heard so much about stats being so heavily focused on. Kramaric, Kante, Mahrez, Knockaert etc were products of out solid foreign scouting network, and even Kante was technically a Pearson signing. 

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Would you say Pearson had a big part to play in the recruitment? Like do fans know how it worked back then? Did he bring in the scouts and did he give them instructions of what he needed. Did he have the final say. Etc.

He trusted Walsh to know what he needed.  I posted a summary of an interview he did, and he basically said that Walsh knew what he needed, when he needed them (e.g. priority), the identity of Pearson’s team, etc.

I can’t find the post now but I wrote 7 or 8 bullets that summarised it.

He basically said he had no interest in watching / scouting players.  Walsh would bring players to him and Pearson would decide whether to present them to the board for them to agree or not.  So I heard that to mean, no player comes in without NP’s say-so, but that board could say no.

So, like here, board have final say.

Unlike here, where our board member is also the head of recruitment (without having that title)!!!

Interesting that Walsh wasn’t successful at Everton.

Archived