IGNORED

If That's the Future Under Pearson......

Port Said Red

23 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Would you say Pearson had a big part to play in the recruitment? Like do fans know how it worked back then? Did he bring in the scouts and did he give them instructions of what he needed. Did he have the final say. Etc.

You have to realise that Pearson/Shakespeare/Walsh were very much a three man team (this is why it’s interesting to see if Pearson can do it alone) so Walsh knew what they thought they needed and he’d go out and look for that along with the recruitment team (Walsh gets all the plaudits but Rob MacKenzie was had a big role). Walsh ran the recruitment team. Then Walsh came back with the lists and they took that to the DoF to negotiate the deals. Pearson would always speak to the players before they signed but he wasn’t hands on with it, that was Walsh’s domain.

5 hours ago, LCFCFAN96 said:

Hi all, congratulations on the good result yesterday!

As you can tell by my username, I'm a big supporter of Pearson and thought I'd drop in to give you an idea behind his style. He's often viewed as defensive (Maybe because he's English and has that reputation from that) but he's anything but. In our 2013-14 was played a good 442, pressing high and pinning teams back against their own defense, and dominated the league really well that season. Part of the ability to do that, and even what we went onto do after was because of Pearson's big belief in sports science. I will say that he is good at seeing games out and will make the changes needed to shore up the defence to hold on to the lead. He likes flair players in his teams but will not accept passengers, so if you have any 'big time Charlies' who don't put a shift in, they'll likely be off. 

The downside with Pearson is that sometimes he can go too far in the other direction and be too loyal to a player who you'll be looking at and wondering why the hell he's still in the team. That said, he will be loyal to the less talented if they work hard, but if they do neither then like I said they'll be gone. He will occasionally go on runs where it looks like he has no idea what's going on, but once he cracks it he gets the team playing for him. Honestly, if your board give him the chance and time to build a project (Which he really hasn't had since us, due to taking the wrong jobs unfortunately) he will leave your club in a much better place than he found it. His scouting team developments are still paying massive dividends for us today, and he builds a team with a real togetherness and strong mentality. 

I remember seeing Leicester lose to Arsenal midweek at the Emirates and looking certs for relegation. I travelled home by train with loads of Leicester fans( work in London, live in Bedford), and enjoyed the crack with a good bunch of lads who were supporting their club at a tricky time. Thought about that night and those fans a lot since, because less than 2 years later your winning the Prem. and I’m thinking that it’s not impossible and that one day we could be thereabouts. Thanks for posting.

59 minutes ago, Ostrich said:

You have to realise that Pearson/Shakespeare/Walsh were very much a three man team (this is why it’s interesting to see if Pearson can do it alone) so Walsh knew what they thought they needed and he’d go out and look for that along with the recruitment team (Walsh gets all the plaudits but Rob MacKenzie was had a big role). Walsh ran the recruitment team. Then Walsh came back with the lists and they took that to the DoF to negotiate the deals. Pearson would always speak to the players before they signed but he wasn’t hands on with it, that was Walsh’s domain.

Mackenzie at Villa now too.

Not to get too carried away, they did hit the woodwork twice, however it is so nice to see a coach that

a) issues instructions during the game

b) Has a clear relationship with the players seen especially as they leave the field when substituted

c) does not accept laziness (hooking Bakinson who was not in the mood)

d) Gets the best out of flair players like KP (who is suddenly our new AW)

e) Gives the players clear instructions and expects them to be followed.

I just hope he can work some magic on Wells. His confidence seems to be lower than a snakes belly at the moment.

A lot of good things, though as other said woodwork twice- one of them at 0-0?

Positives to take:

• 3-0 away from home- that's 3 more goals.
  • Clean sheet.
  • Evidence of that better defensive shape as a team through the fact we allowed zero shots on target.
  • Palmer- maybe he will fit in a 3, I just have been unsure how natural a fit it is but people can adapt. His goal and assist we knew about his capabilities but worked hard out of possession too.
  • Return of 3 injured players with some latter gametime- and one of them scored!
  • Semenyo's 2nd goal in the League.

Yet possibly a big positive in addition to/set against these is scope and room for growth and improvement. Think we still have a reasonable amount- bit more possession although the goals were certainly well worked and some more chance creation/shots on goal. Kept Bela and Sanchez quiet too- good stuff.

Breaking the Lansbury hoodoo- no goals, no points- also positive and Massengo did well.

I might also add, though Leicester fans posting on here about Pearson etc might be able to add more detail.

I have the feeling that Pearsonball is one that is quite useful with a voicerifious crowd. High octane football can be better before a crowd, especially at home- I watched some video footage of Leicester's relegation run-in in 2014/15 under him- looked like the sort of tactical setup that can be quite crowd reliant- more defensive or more lots of passing type football not so much but high octane style I'd say so. Feed off each other quite well I reckon.

Not saying it isn't good anyway but some styles really can get that extra lift and vice versa. I think his might be one.

Reading all this, I am concluding that FINALLY we can (eventually) shake off the label " The largest City or Town in England never to have hosted a PL club" 

If we look at the wider area (i.e all South West England) the population is about 5 Million. Easily a large enough catchment area to support a PL club. 

But - Plymouth and Exeter fans might have something to say about that ! 

Of course, it won't happen (at the earliest) until the end of next season but if we keep NP I am confident we can have a crack at it. 

Archived