IGNORED

Quadruple ‘Men’ Of The Match

Harry

Great performance today, but what stood out for me was the effort, commitment and desire of some of our lads. 

I’m actually stumped on who to nominate as MOTM and I think I would give it to 4 players equally. 

Palmer, Massengo, Semenyo and Kalas, for me, would all deserve the man of the match today. Not necessarily for the bits of quality they showed at times, but the work rate and desire from all 4 of those was the absolute stand-out for me. 

Well done to all. 

• The title was changed to Quadruple ‘Men’ Of The Match
7 minutes ago, Harry said:

Great performance today, but what stood out for me was the effort, commitment and desire of some of our lads. 

I’m actually stumped on who to nominate as MOTM and I think I would give it to 4 players equally. 

Palmer, Massengo, Semenyo and Kalas, for me, would all deserve the man of the match today. Not necessarily for the bits of quality they showed at times, but the work rate and desire from all 4 of those was the absolute stand-out for me. 

Well done to all. 

Palmer by a mile.

Thought Lansbury deserves mention too.  Looked to have a partnership in midfield today.  One went, one stayed.  Screened our CBs better than most pairings this season, notwithstanding how crap Brum were.  But talk pre-game of those two being bullied was well off the mark.

Also, Mariappa very, very solid.

Just now, Davefevs said:

Thought Lansbury deserves mention too.  Looked to have a partnership in midfield today.  One went, one stayed.  Screened our CBs better than most pairings this season, notwithstanding how crap Brum were.  But talk pre-game of those two being bullied was well off the mark.

100%, ten minutes in there were still those slagging him off on Twitter but he was good & his experience helped the superior Massengo through the game.

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I am sure some comments regarding how that midfield was going to be over run before the game, it was so strong that Birmingham just tried to bypass it and that played into Kalas and Mariappa's hands.

Must admit , saw the team sheet and was concerned but they all played well 

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

12 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Totally, Mariappa as well did an excellent unseen job & won a lot of headers.

Great to think that it is almost certain we will be able to add Vyner & Nagy to the squad for Wednesday’s game.

I agree that Lansbury and Mariappa were both solid today. But if I’m looking for a MOTM I can’t split the 4 I mentioned. 

Just now, Dodgy_Giefer said:

The only poor performance was Fam I thought. I don’t mind a player having an off game but having several off games when you’re not committed is treason, blasphemy or something equally as bad. I would rather give the shirt to someone who wants it.

I thought Fam earned his corn today - 6/10 for me.

I thought Wells (although worked hard) was off the money today, as was Sessegnon, both 5/10 for me.

49 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep got the bullying part wrong but never been happier to be wrong

59 minutes ago, Harry said:

Well done to all. 

Yeah good to see some of them showing some commitment at last

This was a great team performance. I agree that it would be harsh to single out one over the other as the effort, energy and commitment was there.

It's easier for me to pick a player who unfortunately didn't come up to the mark as well and that was Fam.

Some highlights for me were HNMs energy and relentless tackling. Breaking the play up and working well with Lansbury.

Palmer initially looked a bit loose but once he settled into the game he gave the Birmingham defence a battering.

Wells, Palmer and Semenyo moving around, finding space and giving options. 

The whole team were on the front foot, looking to push forward. We played through balls, actual through balls that went from red shirt to red shirt.

After initially struggling to pick up high balls into the box we gave Brum nothing at the back.

It will be interesting to watch how we build from this. 

3 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

This was a great team performance. I agree that it would be harsh to single out one over the other as the effort, energy and commitment was there.

It's easier for me to pick a player who unfortunately didn't come up to the mark as well and that was Fam.

Some highlights for me were HNMs energy and relentless tackling. Breaking the play up and working well with Lansbury.

Palmer initially looked a bit loose but once he settled into the game he gave the Birmingham defence a battering.

Wells, Palmer and Semenyo moving around, finding space and giving options. 

The whole team were on the front foot, looking to push forward. We played through balls, actual through balls that went from red shirt to red shirt.

After initially struggling to pick up high balls into the box we gave Brum nothing at the back.

It will be interesting to watch how we build from this. 

I think this is a prime example of his work going unnoticed. I have always been an unapologetic fan of his, but also appreciative of the times that he frustrates. But he toiled today without grabbing the headlines, which people expect him to as a striker. And people are rightly praising Palmer today, but who won the ball to set up Palmer to set up O'Dowda?

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I thought Fam earned his corn today - 6/10 for me.

I thought Wells (although worked hard) was off the money today, as was Sessegnon, both 5/10 for me.

Wells out of position again. Diedhiou control so poor. Lacjs pace. Give Watkins a start.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

100% agree on those 4.

Kalas so dominant but even though Mariappa again had a good game, I want a dominant centre back next to Kalas next season.

Massengo. Wow, what an engine. It amazes me some that say he won't be good enough. He's 19! Yes, it might be he never gets any better, it can happen. But Id be pretty amazed if that is the case going by how dedicated he seems to be to improving.

Was a fantastic mature performance by Han. I'm excited by what the likes of Owura and Pearson might become. Well they are the same age as Massengo! This kid could be far too good for us in years to come.

Semenyo. Well another that I just can't understand how can any fans not be excited by this kid. Very very strong, very very quick, has a fantastic touch and works incredibly hard. Oh and can shoot powerfully with either foot. Yes, it's mainly glimpses of the quality he has. He's young. But off the ball the ability to win the ball back, chase down the goalie, get back into position, that's the consistent things he brings. The quality part won't need much coaching, it will just come more and more I think.

And Palmer. He always had the natural ability. But wow looking like that, he needs to be in that 10 position in this 4231. That was up there with QPR at home last season. He very rarely stopped. Intensity off the ball. And on the ball not too overly fancy. The goal was simple for him but I imagine some others might have messed that up. A fantastic performance. Nige will be pleased ?

Put Massengo in Man Utds team and he wouldn't look out of place.

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

We’ve got a beauty in Pearson . Right fit right experience and know how . Players can see it and are responding , so obvious Kalas and Palmer are ignited .  He’s also got his eye on Masengo and Antoine . He can see something . 
 If he gets the backing and freedom to bring in the missing pieces he will have us in the Prem in 2 years. 

So refreshing to have someone who knows what they’re doing .

We’ve focussed a lot of attention on the OOC players and potentially Bentley going, but you wonder if the  likes of Kalas might’ve been open to interest in the summer?

Hoping Pearson shows some players they could be part of something here.

I have to agree with everything here those four worked their socks off. I believe Lansbury experience shows and his precision in passing is great. Unfortunately agree about Fam and it’s actually irritating me. He walks while others run and usually ends up on his behind. They say he holds the ball up, fine he does occasionally but he’s not consistent in that. He rarely wins a tackle in a one on one and his first shot at goal today didn’t even go in the direction of the goal!! Never feel that confident when he’s given the ball. That miss of his in last weeks game in front of our goal giving QPR their second goal was woeful. 

Archived