IGNORED

Slowly, surely....

TomThumb84

Nige is putting his stamp all over the club, the way he has gone about it speaks volumes.

Hugely impressive and a measure of the man that he has come in and not tried to make drastic massive change but clearly integrated himself into the club and started to move things towards his mindset and vision.

After 4 respectful (to the existing backroom staff) first team games, and an Under 23’s match driven by him, he took the opportunity to go to his favoured 4-2-3-1 today.

He has seen enough of HNM and Palmer to understand what they can bring and the difference is, we now have a manager who is the equal, or superior, of the players he is putting on the pitch, and can understand how to resonate with players and get the best from them. Goes for Fam too, who put in a very good target-man display today. That is the difference.

Wells had a frustrating afternoon, sulked about a bit and had one of his when his touch was poor, noticeably for me, Nige got hold of him after he was substituted and a couple of words later, there was a smile from Nahki. Man management and coaching the likes we have not seen for a while.

If that was a glimpse of what we can expect next year with a tweak of personnel then I would hope we are laying the foundations with him already for longer term.

Some other things:

• Bakinson got a little motivational kick up the back pass - looking forward to seeing him when he next gets a chance
  • Wells, had a frustrating afternoon, but he was actually smiling and grinning when he went to sit in the dugout
  • Pearson himself says he doesn’t have a preferred formation, but I liked the way he structured it today
  • We played long from Bentley today, I think virtually every time, the pitch was not one to pi$$ about trying to play out

I actually thought Wells worked really hard & although uncharacteristically his first touch let him down twice, he closed down & won a defensive header in our box.

He really isn’t suited to playing wide but is putting the effort in.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Some other things:

• Bakinson got a little motivational kick up the back pass - looking forward to seeing him when he next gets a chance
  • Wells, had a frustrating afternoon, but he was actually smiling and grinning when he went to sit in the dugout
  • Pearson himself says he doesn’t have a preferred formation, but I liked the way he structured it today
  • We played long from Bentley today, I think virtually every time, the pitch was not one to pi$$ about trying to play out

We just feel “in-control” a bit more and driving our game rather than being reactive.

I hated how we set-up so much near the end with Holden but we are noticeably so much more front-foot. 

Just now, GrahamC said:

I actually thought Wells worked really hard & although uncharacteristically his first touch let him down twice, he closed down & won a defensive header in our box.

I was disappointed that for a striker of his standard he wasn't busting a gut to get the right side of the defender when Semenyo went on that run in the first half. But I don't think anyone can fault his effort outside the box.

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Agreed, but he believes in what we are doing and understands why. It comes down to man-management at a high-level.

When we go forward now, there are subtle tactical changes like Sessegnon pushing high quickly allowing Wells to join Fam, things we weren’t doing before leaving him isolated.

Really subtle but we are honestly on a completely different level to 6 weeks ago. Players know this.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Not sure it's that much out of character . I've lost count of the number of times he over runs a ball or has a bad touch. 
I thought he did ok generally, worked rally hard forward and back, but I would like to see him down the middle. 

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

His touch is very poor outside of the box and I wouldn’t say he’s found it consistently in the box either yet. 

Now I believe we are safe, I’d like to see him given a run up top as our focal point, seen as Fam will be going. Louis Britton and Sam Bell as his support acts when required also. 

2 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

His touch is very poor outside of the box and I wouldn’t say he’s found it consistently in the box either yet. 

Now I believe we are safe, I’d like to see him given a run up top as our focal point, seen as Fam will be going. Louis Britton and Sam Bell as his support acts when required also. 

I agree with this.

If NP wants to go with 4-2-3-1 then a spine of Bentley, Kalas, Williams, Palmer, Wells is not bad at this level.

Wells was at his best at QPR when playing as a “1”.

Surely has to be a tipping point with Fam where once we are safe (which we are), we say thanks and all the best but we got a club to look after here, sit the season out now.

Archived