IGNORED

What difference a free week ..

davidoldfart

38 minutes ago, davidoldfart said:

A week giving players recovery time .Coaching time without having mid week games and we look revitalised .

More like our early season performances .

Add to that Pearsons input.

Onwards and upwards

Potentially, if Rotherham have their next two called off due to covid, we could have a fifteen day break between Blackburn on Wednesday and Stoke on the 2nd April. I don`t know if that`s a good thing or not now though with us wanting to get our returning injured players up to match fitness.

14 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Potentially, if Rotherham have their next two called off due to covid, we could have a fifteen day break between Blackburn on Wednesday and Stoke on the 2nd April. I don`t know if that`s a good thing or not now though with us wanting to get our returning injured players up to match fitness.

At what point do clubs should clubs have to  forfeit the points?

Who knew what appointing a bloke who has actual credentials could do to a workplace?! Previously at City it has been like asking a student fresh out of medical school to perform the job of seasoned brain surgeon...technically the same industry, technically the same job, but in reality...awful lot of potential for it to go belly up!!! 

1 hour ago, davidoldfart said:

A week giving players recovery time .Coaching time without having mid week games and we look revitalised .

Onwards and upwards

Your 'Oldfart, I'm pissed as one..

Can't wait for next season.

Another Malbec????..  

1 hour ago, Midred said:

At what point do clubs should clubs have to  forfeit the points?

55 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

No idea but the EFL will have to act soon if it keeps happening - they`re four games behind most sides already.

How many games have they had called off due to COVID then? 
I was going to say I didn't think they would have any comeback, but if they keep having outbreaks you'd think questions would be asked.

5 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

How many games have they had called off due to COVID then? 
I was going to say I didn't think they would have any comeback, but if they keep having outbreaks you'd think questions would be asked.

I think it`s three but they have had games called off more than once - Luton last week was a rearranged game. There was definitely a weather related one (snow) but the rest are covid I think.

Just now, Lanterne Rouge said:

I think it`s three but they have had games called off more than once - Luton last week was a rearranged game. There was definitely a weather related one (snow) but the rest are covid I think.

Ahh yes, remember frozen pitch or something. Thought it was unusual in the Championship.
I doubt the EFL will do anything unless it starts to look like they are running out of dates. Must be looking a bit congested already .

3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

What a difference poor opposition makes.

It certainly helped (and they were shite).

But we did look a lot more organised.

What was also a change was hearing NP shouting instruction/encouragement from the touchline - can't say I noticed that from previous incumbents.

21 minutes ago, extonsred said:

We've been that poor opposition most of the season! 

Absolutely. I said prior to today's game that we were finally coming up against a team as bad as us. I thought we might draw, but we got fortunate with Antoine's goal and they hit the woodwork, so today we came away with a deserved 3 points.

13 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

It certainly helped (and they were shite).

But we did look a lot more organised.

What was also a change was hearing NP shouting instruction/encouragement from the touchline - can't say I noticed that from previous incumbents.

Again, I acknowledge that we were improved today. I liked the 4231, Palmer, Semenyo, and Kalas all had very good days in the office. I'm able to see and recognise improvements. However, I'm not fully committing to the Pearson love-in bandwagon. He has, on the face of it, improved us. He's also got a sample size of 4 games and started from possibly the lowest base he could have. The fans were starving, and to a starving person even the most basic food will taste like Michelin star fare. I feel like in today's game we demonstrated basic competencies, but some of the reactions make it seem like people think we're about to piss the league.

We still didn't manage to hit double-figures for shots taken. We only made 166 complete passes. We had 60% pass success - below our own season average of 70%. Birmingham were so poor that those numbers were enough to beat them, a superior opponent may not (and over the past 15 games has not) see us get so lucky. There is still, to paraphrase our captain "so, so much work to do."

I don't want to detract from the result, but personally, I'll judge the extent to which Pearson has improved us after ten games, rather than one win against a piss-poor side.

Football is a funny game and there really isn't a lot between us, Birmingham, Swansea and Cardiff etc. It's about fine margins, motivation and confidence.

I sense the players believe in NP far more than they did Dean Holden and that extra 5% can make all the difference.

When i saw our midfield today, i actually feared the worst, but a bit of luck and some extra belief and we come away with a fantastic 3-0 win.

Who knows where Big Nige will take us, but i'm certainly far more positive with him in charge!

5 hours ago, davidoldfart said:

Onwards and upwards

I think a big part of todays performance was just how poor Birmingham were.

10 minutes ago, Chrisbc said:

I think a big part of todays performance was just how poor Birmingham were.

Yeah but..no but.....you can only beat what’s in front of you.

Brum did hit the post twice in the first half but faded in the second 45. That’s what cost them the game.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Yeah but..no but.....you can only beat what’s in front of you.

Brum did hit the post twice in the first half but faded in the second 45. That’s what cost them the game.

They were shit. That's what cost them the game. 

6 minutes ago, Chrisbc said:

They were shit. That's what cost them the game. 

Is that what Watford fans thought when they stuffed us? 

Brum were definitely not shit in the first half when they hit the post twice but they definitely were second half when Bentley barely touched the ball.

Like I said, they faded.

Just now, Robbored said:

Is that what Watford fans thought when they stuffed us? 

Brum were definitely not shit in the first half when they hit the post twice but they definitely were second half when Bentley barely touched the ball.

Like I said, they faded.

Not sure what Watford has got to do with anything, strange question.

They were shit first half and even shitter in the 2nd. 

50 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Absolutely. I said prior to today's game that we were finally coming up against a team as bad as us. I thought we might draw, but we got fortunate with Antoine's goal and they hit the woodwork, so today we came away with a deserved 3 points.

Again, I acknowledge that we were improved today. I liked the 4231, Palmer, Semenyo, and Kalas all had very good days in the office. I'm able to see and recognise improvements. However, I'm not fully committing to the Pearson love-in bandwagon. He has, on the face of it, improved us. He's also got a sample size of 4 games and started from possibly the lowest base he could have. The fans were starving, and to a starving person even the most basic food will taste like Michelin star fare. I feel like in today's game we demonstrated basic competencies, but some of the reactions make it seem like people think we're about to piss the league.

We still didn't manage to hit double-figures for shots taken. We only made 166 complete passes. We had 60% pass success - below our own season average of 70%. Birmingham were so poor that those numbers were enough to beat them, a superior opponent may not (and over the past 15 games has not) see us get so lucky. There is still, to paraphrase our captain "so, so much work to do."

I don't want to detract from the result, but personally, I'll judge the extent to which Pearson has improved us after ten games, rather than one win against a piss-poor side.

Interested in those numbers when Wyscout updates tomorrow.  166 completed passes seems awfully low.  Interested in Bentley’s distribution.  Think he went long all bar one kick.

Interested in loose ball recoveries from HNM and HL.

Interested in SS’s passing positions.  It won’t tell the true story, but Sanchez’s passing map will.  To me it looked like SS kept him deep.  He’s a good player too.

19 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Interested in those numbers when Wyscout updates tomorrow.  166 completed passes seems awfully low.  Interested in Bentley’s distribution.  Think he went long all bar one kick.

Interested in loose ball recoveries from HNM and HL.

Interested in SS’s passing positions.  It won’t tell the true story, but Sanchez’s passing map will.  To me it looked like SS kept him deep.  He’s a good player too.

Anything interesting?

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

See the various player threads....or if you’re on twitter.

one big long thread here.

No not on Twitter.

It's interesting, but I'm not sure your analysis helps to answer the question: were we good, or were we simply allowed to be good by Brum?

I'm also not sure we can truly answer that question right now. So that's why, whilst it was encouraging to see us exert a level of control, through the press, over a poor team, I'll reserve judgement for the moment. If we can repeat this against better opposition, such as Blackburn, then we can start to say "yes, this is a clear sign that Nige is improving us". 

16 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

No not on Twitter.

It's interesting, but I'm not sure your analysis helps to answer the question: were we good, or were we simply allowed to be good by Brum?

I'm also not sure we can truly answer that question right now. So that's why, whilst it was encouraging to see us exert a level of control, through the press, over a poor team, I'll reserve judgement for the moment. If we can repeat this against better opposition, such as Blackburn, then we can start to say "yes, this is a clear sign that Nige is improving us". 

I think we executed a “game-plan” well.  A game-plan that was well constructed too.  That’s a good start isn’t it?

When I look at games like Rotherham where our players were like rabbits in the headlights, looking like they were completely unprepared (naive that we would impose our game on them), then I’m not looking for pretty passing patterns.  I’m looking at players winning battles, and we did that yesterday.

Is it easier to win your battles and execute your game-plan against crap teams?  Absolutely.  But we’ve seen some dire stuff at times over the past 2 / 2.5 seasons to make me wonder whether there even was a game-plan or worse still, little acknowledgement of there being an opposition intent on stopping us.  Imho we’ve gone into game naively, not prepared to work hard to earn the right.

So, were we good?  Analysis based on non-analysis based - Yes.

Were we good because Birmingham were bad? Maybe

Were Birmingham bad because we were good? Maybe

So, when you say “can we truly answer that question right now” and “I’ll reserve judgment for now....I think you’re trying to ask and answer a different question, which might be....

Do I think NP is having an effect?  I think he is.  How much of an effect, might depend on his evaluation of the squad he has inherited, and it’s ability to execute the game-plan.

Archived