Jump to content
IGNORED

Will Pearson be here after his current contract?


Recommended Posts

I’m presuming a resounding “yes” to be the majority answer but more for the reason why he would.

Personally I feel Nige see’s the ‘potential’ this club has and will extend his stay. 

What are the pros and the cons of taking the Bristol City managers job long term and does it outweigh the negatives of been at this club as a manager at this current time?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think one huge positive we have is the amount of players out of contract, I'm sure @Davefevs can clarify how many. It gives any manager/head coach about as close as a clean slate as you can get with a new team. He's essentially been given an extended pre-season to know the players currently here, and enough time & money to get in whomever he sees fit. Excluding parachute payments and an already overpowered team, there's not much you would look for in a Championship team that we don't currently have.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, CiderHeadDan said:

I’m presuming a resounding “yes” to be the majority answer but more for the reason why he would.

Personally I feel Nige see’s the ‘potential’ this club has and will extend his stay. 

What are the pros and the cons of taking the Bristol City managers job long term and does it outweigh the negatives of been at this club as a manager at this current time?

I think people are getting far too caught up on the 'will he stay on' idea.

It's more of a safeguard for us. Pearson won't be cheap for a manager. At the time of his appointment, there was a slight but genuine possibility of a relegation battle. We probably wouldn't want a manager on big wages if we'd been relegated as the club would need financial restructuring. Perhaps also he has no intention of managing at League 1 level.

I imagine that his contract going forward is agreed in principle and will be confirmed once our survival is mathematically assured. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, CiderHeadDan said:

I’m presuming a resounding “yes” to be the majority answer but more for the reason why he would.

Personally I feel Nige see’s the ‘potential’ this club has and will extend his stay. 

What are the pros and the cons of taking the Bristol City managers job long term and does it outweigh the negatives of been at this club as a manager at this current time?

Put yourself in his shoes? What's not to like, a sane owner with a few quid, Bristol, new training ground and a club that is poised to challenge for the Prem with someone like him at the helm. Not since Dicks have we all been united as to the future, he is of an age that this seemingly fits well with him, loving his post match interviews, clearly he is relishing it here, very exciting, what a difference a few weeks make?

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

When his currant contract expires, it stands to raisin they'll give him a new one.

They probably already have a date in mind and when he signs long term he can start to  prune the squad where necessary. 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I said in another thread last week, that I thought the only reason it was a short term deal was down to the speed it was done and the potential relegation scrap.  SL doesn’t jump into decisions normally, abd it gave each party a chance to try each other out.

SL will’ve known what calibre of manager he was getting.

NP will’ve known what type of club he was entering.

But it was done quickly, so just both sides showing caution.

After this opening weeks, I fully expect the extension to be signed during the break.

NP is already talking about planning for next season, contracts, etc.  In his mind he’s here next season.

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You would like to think that assurances will be given to NP around transfer budgets and who he wants to keep or not 

When you have the overwhelming support of an owner, fan base and players buying into your ethos then it would be a massive surprise if he didn’t want to stick around 

When you look around the English leagues, there aren’t many clubs who are as blessed as us with our facilities, financial stability and ambition especially in what will be the post Covid world 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I said in another thread last week, that I thought the only reason it was a short term deal was down to the speed it was done and the potential relegation scrap.  SL doesn’t jump into decisions normally, abd it gave each party a chance to try each other out.

SL will’ve known what calibre of manager he was getting.

NP will’ve known what type of club he was entering.

But it was done quickly, so just both sides showing caution.

After this opening weeks, I fully expect the extension to be signed during the break.

NP is already talking about planning for next season, contracts, etc.  In his mind he’s here next season.

Exactly. People like to fuss about worst case scenarios. I think some get a kick out of the idea of Pearson leaving at the end of the season and replacing him with another Holden type. It clearly isn't going to happen like that, but whilst it's a remote possibility people will speculate about it. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Exactly. People like to fuss about worst case scenarios. I think some get a kick out of the idea of Pearson leaving at the end of the season and replacing him with another Holden type. It clearly isn't going to happen like that, but whilst it's a remote possibility people will speculate about it. 

I wouldn’t say people get a kick out of it, quite a strange suggestion. I think there is an air of caution as we’ve been sold short consistently by the board over a number of years. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

I wouldn’t say people get a kick out of it, quite a strange suggestion. I think there is an air of caution as we’ve been sold short consistently by the board over a number of years. 

They definitely do. It's the same school of thought as those people who like to say "enjoy him whilst he's here" the minute a player hits consistent good form. It's a bit of self preservation I think. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ll be so much happier once he’s signed a long term deal. Get rid of any nagging doubts about him being lured away in the summer, or even us going for someone else we’ve wanted all along and were waiting for. We had so much stability under LJ and obviously have been without that for a while now, Pearson is the answer 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just hope he falls off the radar of the Prem clubs because if they come calling, it will be difficult for him to ignore. Just worried he may get an offer he can’t refuse as he is far too good for us IMO.
Enjoy it whilst it lasts until a firmer deal is struck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

I’ll be so much happier once he’s signed a long term deal. Get rid of any nagging doubts about him being lured away in the summer, or even us going for someone else we’ve wanted all along and were waiting for. We had so much stability under LJ and obviously have been without that for a while now, Pearson is the answer 👍

It makes little difference if he’s signed a contract or not. If he is head hunted by a bigger, wealthier club at a higher level then it could tempt him and that club would pay compensation and we’d be looking for another coach/manager.

The key is to find out what makes Pearson tick and, if the club want him, give him what he wants. 
 

Personally I believe that money is not the issue and we have an interesting and stimulating project which will ensure that NP sticks around for the foreseeable future. 
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I said in another thread last week, that I thought the only reason it was a short term deal was down to the speed it was done and the potential relegation scrap.  SL doesn’t jump into decisions normally, abd it gave each party a chance to try each other out.

SL will’ve known what calibre of manager he was getting.

NP will’ve known what type of club he was entering.

But it was done quickly, so just both sides showing caution.

After this opening weeks, I fully expect the extension to be signed during the break.

NP is already talking about planning for next season, contracts, etc.  In his mind he’s here next season.

I think there may have been an air of caution by NP more than many think.

He would have seen the injuries, the results and media surrounding MA at the time.

I'm sure he would have seen the loyalty by SL...but imo, he would have wanted to suss out how the club worked and whether he could succeed within it.

The relationship with MA for one...and whether he will have say in recruitment etc and whether funds to build will be available.

He'll want to suss staff out. If he were to sign up longer...will he want to bring people in? Perhaps he wanted to see whether he could work with our staff. Maybe City want to keep the assistants...maybe he wants his own. 

So many possible scenarios.

However...my gut feeling is that NP is more cautious about City,than we of him. And he's sussing us out more...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think there may have been an air of caution by NP more than many think.

He would have seen the injuries, the results and media surrounding MA at the time.

I'm sure he would have seen the loyalty by SL...but imo, he would have wanted to suss out how the club worked and whether he could succeed within it.

The relationship with MA for one...and whether he will have say in recruitment etc and whether funds to build will be available.

He'll want to suss staff out. If he were to sign up longer...will he want to bring people in? Perhaps he wanted to see whether he could work with our staff. Maybe City want to keep the assistants...maybe he wants his own. 

So many possible scenarios.

However...my gut feeling is that NP is more cautious about City,than we of him. And he's sussing us out more...

I think this is probably correct.

And that may give Lansdown a massive headache if obstacles arise, as it is evident that the fanbase will be more disillusioned than ever before if Pearson leaves in the summer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think there may have been an air of caution by NP more than many think.

He would have seen the injuries, the results and media surrounding MA at the time.

I'm sure he would have seen the loyalty by SL...but imo, he would have wanted to suss out how the club worked and whether he could succeed within it.

The relationship with MA for one...and whether he will have say in recruitment etc and whether funds to build will be available.

He'll want to suss staff out. If he were to sign up longer...will he want to bring people in? Perhaps he wanted to see whether he could work with our staff. Maybe City want to keep the assistants...maybe he wants his own. 

So many possible scenarios.

However...my gut feeling is that NP is more cautious about City,than we of him. And he's sussing us out more...

Pearson himself said the caution was on SL’s part, but I don’t doubt he might have had a few concerns.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I genuinely think the initial short term appointment was based solely on the unknown of which division we were going to be in next season. We were in free fall at the time & it suited both parties not to commit long term at that stage.

Things have now moved on & I would be gobsmacked if Nige wasn’t here next season. I just sense we are exactly the type of project he is interested in & he will realise he could achieve legendary status here like he has at Leicester. He’s not going to get that type of status from keeping a bottom 6 club in the Prem for another season.

Bristol City & NP look like the perfect match to me at this point in time. Fingers crossed fate has been very kind to us.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Superjack said:

I think this is probably correct.

And that may give Lansdown a massive headache if obstacles arise, as it is evident that the fanbase will be more disillusioned than ever before if Pearson leaves in the summer.

 

57 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Pearson himself said the caution was on SL’s part, but I don’t doubt he might have had a few concerns.

It'll be interesting to see how things develop and whether any changes in method or staff are made.

I can't see why SL would be cautious... especially as it was him who contacted NP.

If any caution...perhaps it was after speaking and NP saying he'd want to work a certain way.

If it came down to money...then I'd be surprised.

 

What sort of wage do you think he'll want?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...