IGNORED

Marriappa and Lansbury

On the same basis as the Pearson thread, would you renew both these contracts at the end of the season?

Marriappa does fill a hole if needed and has worked with Pearson before. Can see him staying for another year. 

Lansbury, with Williams and Walsh back. Bakinson, HNM, Palmer, Pato, COD. Can’t see him being needed. However, did control the midfield very well and if he does have minutes up until the end of the season and continues to do that there would be an argument to keep him around as an experienced head in case we have injuries 

I think Lansbury won't be good value for money longer term (Wages/contract length wise) and will go. 

Mapps has done a good job - especially since he moved into the middle. He is however 'limited' on the ball, as is Kalas to a certain extent, in comparison to say a Webster or Mawson.

I'd personally like one of the two CB's to be more comfortable on the ball. (Could that be Vyner longer term, or is centre mid is position going forward?)

So for that reason i'd be looking elsewhere at CB to partner Kalas - however...if it was a choice of renewing one of Mapp's or Baker's contract for another year, I think i'd take Mapps. 

Mariappa deserves another 12 months, useful experienced head in defence, even if it’s just as a squad member, also reduces the urgency to recruit another CB on top of what we may already be looking at. 

Lansbury, jury out would probably need to put together a string of very impressive performances from here until the end of the season to have a chance. Tyreeq may get the Liam Walsh ‘go get 40+ games in league one and come back a better player’ loan 

The squad is badly bloated with similar quality players. We  need to improve the quality if we want to push on towards the play offs next season. In my view that means releasing approx 7 players and bringing in 3/4 of better quality, starting with a reliable partner for Kalas and 2 full backs. So yes I would let them go, together with Pato, Watkins, Fam, Sesseignon and Hunt.

1 minute ago, Sir Geoff said:

The squad is badly bloated with similar quality players. We  need to improve the quality if we want to push on towards the play offs next season. In my view that means releasing approx 7 players and bringing in 3/4 of better quality, starting with a reliable partner for Kalas and 2 full backs. So yes I would let them go, together with Pato, Watkins, Fam, Sesseignon and Hunt.

Not disagreeing with the 3 or 4 in and 7 out, but I'd like to keep on Watkins and Hunt.

We need two full backs assuming we don't have any quite ready from the academy but we don't want to chuck the baby out with the bath water. Hunt and Dasilva are fine but need backup/competition. I rate Watkins and would like to see a bit more of him. 

I think it comes down to who we think we can get instead. I'd be fine if Mariappa stayed. Lansbury is hard to judge. I do wonder if his early struggles here are connected to the lack of football he has played for the last three years.

Ideally I'd want a manager to see how he did in pre-season and assess things then but that is obviously not really possible so it comes down to what he does between now and the end of the season. I think there is a good player there but it comes down to whether he can recapture his form in the long term. 

1 hour ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

On the same basis as the Pearson thread, would you renew both these contracts at the end of the season?

Marriappa does fill a hole if needed and has worked with Pearson before. Can see him staying for another year. 

Lansbury, with Williams and Walsh back. Bakinson, HNM, Palmer, Pato, COD. Can’t see him being needed. However, did control the midfield very well and if he does have minutes up until the end of the season and continues to do that there would be an argument to keep him around as an experienced head in case we have injuries 

No...not good enough if we really want to progress

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

if it was a choice of renewing one of Mapp's or Baker's contract for another year, I think i'd take Mapps. 

Baker is a good defender when available but offers nothing going forward. 

He is not a first team regular for an aspirational top six club .

Mapps has the advantage of having played under NP and this may well be enough to ensure he gets offered another year. 

58 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Not disagreeing with the 3 or 4 in and 7 out, but I'd like to keep on Watkins and Hunt.

We need two full backs assuming we don't have any quite ready from the academy but we don't want to chuck the baby out with the bath water. Hunt and Dasilva are fine but need backup/competition. I rate Watkins and would like to see a bit more of him. 

I don't disagree, particularly with Watkins but we need better quality which means some players like Watkins will need to be sacrificed. Unfortunately we can't rely on Dasilva so it wont hurt to have 2 quality left backs (be interesting to see if Pring is top half of Championship quality).

Archived