IGNORED

OOH Shaun Taylor

Sniper

My favourite centre back in my time of watching City. 

Kalas is a close second though. 

There is a huge nostalgia hit with this though. He played for us in league 1 and got injured our promotion season and missed almost all of the season in the championship. (modern equivalent) 

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

What a player.

Ironically when we bought him from Swindon at the age of 33 he was widely seen as over the hill and a waste of money.

How wrong everyone was.

Including, I confess, myself.

Just has a look and he's not listed in Torquay's staff so Ralph is correct. 

I thought exactly the same!  What a player he turned out to be for us...

I think we have a bit of rose tinted glasses regarding Taylor just because he was a hard player. He was a good lower league player but never a top flight player.  He was good at “getting stuck in” but lacking in real skill  compared to David Rogers (yes he had skill), Louis Carey, Gary Collier, Rob Newman, Geoff Merrick, Liam Fontaine, Aiden Flint (yes he had skill as well) , Karleigh Osborne, Luke Ayling, Magnússon etc.

4 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

What a player.

Ironically when we bought him from Swindon at the age of 33 he was widely seen as over the hill and a waste of money.

How wrong everyone was.

Including, I confess, myself.

Just has a look and he's not listed in Torquay's staff so Ralph is correct. 

Waste of money? He only cost us £50k didn’t he? 

15 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

Waste of money? He only cost us £50k didn’t he? 

Story - as told to me by Scott Davidson...

He said to Joe Jordan, 'do you want Shaun Taylor?' 

To which Jordan said, 'Absolutely, but Swindon will never sell him'.

Turns out Swindon were enjoying one of those frequent periods of financial embarrassment and had been touting him around as being available.

50k later and the deal was done.

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I think we have a bit of rose tinted glasses regarding Taylor just because he was a hard player. He was a good lower league player but never a top flight player.  He was good at “getting stuck in” but lacking in real skill  compared to David Rogers (yes he had skill), Louis Carey, Gary Collier, Rob Newman, Geoff Merrick, Liam Fontaine, Aiden Flint (yes he had skill as well) , Karleigh Osborne, Luke Ayling, Magnússon etc.

The game was different back then though, not many centre half's were as technically gifted as they are nowadays, didn't he get injured during the promotion season in 98 and we never properly replaced him (Julian Watts didn't count ?) hence the subsequent relegation the following year. I agree that he probably would have been found wanting nowadays but at the time he would have been fine in the Championship or Division One as it was

Karleigh Osbourne haha. Good wind up post, but I think you do Shaun a disservice. Was a key part of a very good Swindon team before he came to us. Underrated because of his style, better than most you list here comfortably. 

Crikey ! I know it's opinions but I'd have Taylor ahead if nearly all of them. 

I've never known a player for City that could find a team mate with a pass or header with such consistency as him. 

Even in a 50/50 challenge he would always knock it down in the direction of a team mate. 

He was pretty much the reason we got relegated from the championship after missing most of the season with injury and Dyche wasn't anywhere near his quality

Add k. Curle and s. Caulker.... 

Taylor was a legend. I still think had he not got injured clattering into the post on Easter Monday at home to Watford, we’d have gone on to win the league and have had a better chance of staying up in 98/99. Instead he was replaced by Watts, who was a joke. 

8 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Karleigh Osbourne haha. Good wind up post, but I think you do Shaun a disservice. Was a key part of a very good Swindon team before he came to us. Underrated because of his style, better than most you list here comfortably. 

You may laugh at Karleigh Osbourne but he was a regular in the team, and ahead of Flint, until he had a terrible injury on the pre-season tour of Africa. By the time he had recovered the City defence had become settled and he couldn’t get back into the team. He was a skilful player 

It’s all about opinions, but if Taylor was , “better than most you list here comfortably”, which of the list were worse than him? (Rogers, Carey, Collier, Newman, Merrick and Ayling all played in the top division in England and Magnússon was an Iceland international and played for CSK Moscow. Even Fontaine played approx 250 games for City and he was going to sign for Southampton (?) until he failed a medical.  It was only at the end of his time at City did his form suddenly go) 

ST was a terrific signing for us given his age but the Championship at 34 may have been a step too far. My memory of that season was Carey, who had been just as good asTaylor in League 1, being found out a bit at the higher level (Lee Hughes being a particular opponent he couldn’t deal with). I thought it was lack of pace at the time but under GJ when we went up he was excellent, so it may just have been that particular disaster of a season.

3 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

ST was a terrific signing for us given his age but the Championship at 34 may have been a step too far. My memory of that season was Carey, who had been just as good asTaylor in League 1, being found out a bit at the higher level (Lee Hughes being a particular opponent he couldn’t deal with). I thought it was lack of pace at the time but under GJ when we went up he was excellent, so it may just have been that particular disaster of a season.

One thing we can credit Shaun Taylor with is bringing Carey on and teaching him so much. A young CB couldn`t wish for a better teacher.

I remember when we signed ST from Swindle and i honestly thought "what the **** are we doing"

I always thought he looked very odd on the pitch with his gumshield and headband (sometimes).

How wrong i was! I instantly understood why he'd been such a hero at The County Ground. 

Oooh Shaun Taylor....

5 hours ago, pongo88 said:

You may laugh at Karleigh Osbourne but he was a regular in the team, and ahead of Flint, until he had a terrible injury on the pre-season tour of Africa. By the time he had recovered the City defence had become settled and he couldn’t get back into the team. He was a skilful player 

It’s all about opinions, but if Taylor was , “better than most you list here comfortably”, which of the list were worse than him? (Rogers, Carey, Collier, Newman, Merrick and Ayling all played in the top division in England and Magnússon was an Iceland international and played for CSK Moscow. Even Fontaine played approx 250 games for City and he was going to sign for Southampton (?) until he failed a medical.  It was only at the end of his time at City did his form suddenly go) 

Taylor did play in the top flight. 

Magnússon and Osborne not fit to lace his boots. Different era nowadays, less physical contact with strikers so much easier to be a ball playing defender in this era.

He was a defender of his time and in that era football was very much 442 in England and play off the Number 9 and Taylor was brilliant at our level at that role. 

Next you will say David Luiz is better than Tony Adams

6 hours ago, 2015 said:

Taylor did play in the top flight. 

Magnússon and Osborne not fit to lace his boots. Different era nowadays, less physical contact with strikers so much easier to be a ball playing defender in this era.

He was a defender of his time and in that era football was very much 442 in England and play off the Number 9 and Taylor was brilliant at our level at that role. 

Next you will say David Luiz is better than Tony Adams

David Luiz is better than Tony Adams

Joke!

Archived