IGNORED

JPT Final [Warning: Probable mention of former City staff]

Unan

19 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

And City women are about to mount a famous 2nd half comeback in their cup final

Couple of minutes into second half and City maintaining their 4 goal disadvantage.

Can they make it 5 ?

Edit - yes they can, and again.

I know this will be annoy or bemused most of OTIB, but I really want to see LJ succeed. He was a good honest pro for City as a player and a manager and his dad got us to a play off final, so I've got to wish him well. Hope he gets his hands on his first trophy.

7 minutes ago, mozo said:

I know this will be annoy or bemused most of OTIB, but I really want to see LJ succeed. He was a good honest pro for City as a player and a manager and his dad got us to a play off final, so I've got to wish him well. Hope he gets his hands on his first trophy.

Just because his time was up here at City, I wish him well.

No reason not to IMHO.

2 hours ago, Banned User said:

Sunderland look poor, being outplayed by League Two Tranmere.

Well, I don’t know about that. 
Under LJ, Sunderland’s 18 league games would have them on course for a 92 point season. He took them from 9th place and 8 points off a promotion spot, to 4th place and games in hand that could see them go top. 
They’ve won 14 of 23 games, won a trophy, and look pretty good for a promotion. 
Could all go wrong for him yet, but LJ has done a bloody good job there so far. 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Under LJ, Sunderland’s 18 league games would have them on course for a 92 point season. He took them from 9th place and 8 points off a promotion spot, to 4th place and games in hand that could see them go top. 

It's almost as if he has a track record as a manager of improving the teams he manages...

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Not disagreeing with that, talking about the first 45 minutes of the final. Sunderland fans agreed https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/???-sunderland-v-tranmere-cup-final-match-thread-???.1544905/unread

7 minutes ago, Banned User said:

Not disagreeing with that, talking about the first 45 minutes of the final. Sunderland fans agreed https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/???-sunderland-v-tranmere-cup-final-match-thread-???.1544905/unread

The history books won't be full of reports on the first 45 minutes though*.

*granted, very few history books will have anything remotely connected with this years Papa John Paint Pot Leyland DAF trophy, but there will be a quiz question about Salford only getting 24 hours with it.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

For me your reasons are not enough. His Dad got us to a play of final - so what?

To feel the need to wish LJ well, and 'really want him to succeed' you have to have formed an emotional attachment to him.

I haven't.

I didn't particularly dislike, or like, LJ as a player. He was the epitome of mediocre, but he tried hard enough and did a job.

I didn't like him being appointed City manager - no one will ever persuade me he merited getting the job, the football his team served up at AG was far too often unwatchable and, indeed unsuccessful, and in my opinion he should have been sacked a very long time before he eventually was.

Having no emotional attachment to LJ I don't feel any obligation to 'really want him to succeed' just because he played for, and managed, City - likewise I don't actively look for him to fail.

I really don't care what he does - I'm just relieved I will no longer have to suffer his (mostly) soul destroying football at Ashton Gate and his increasingly irksome interviews afterwards.

I didn’t like him as a player particularly but I did like him as manager. He did a good job to keep us in his first few months and then really improved us up until the wolves game. The last 2 seasons the football was poor but there was an improvement in league position in every season before the last so he deserved the chance in that final season. Obviously didn’t work out in the end - overall he did OK. Nothing more nothing less and I wish him good luck.

3 hours ago, mozo said:

Agree 100%, he did a more than decent job here and whilst it was time for him to move on I am rooting for him.

Only hypothetical i know but imagine he came in to the club now having been elsewhere for the last 5 years and moved us forward to the same level as he did during his actual tenure.

10 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Agree 100%, he did a more than decent job here and whilst it was time for him to move on I am rooting for him.

Only hypothetical i know but imagine he came in to the club now having been elsewhere for the last 5 years and moved us forward to the same level as he did during his actual tenure.

Based on league position improvements year on year, 5 year from now we'd finish 7th! ?

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

For me your reasons are not enough. His Dad got us to a play of final - so what?

To feel the need to wish LJ well, and 'really want him to succeed' you have to have formed an emotional attachment to him.

I haven't.

I didn't particularly dislike, or like, LJ as a player. He was the epitome of mediocre, but he tried hard enough and did a job.

I didn't like him being appointed City manager - no one will ever persuade me he merited getting the job, the football his team served up at AG was far too often unwatchable and, indeed unsuccessful, and in my opinion he should have been sacked a very long time before he eventually was.

Having no emotional attachment to LJ I don't feel any obligation to 'really want him to succeed' just because he played for, and managed, City - likewise I don't actively look for him to fail.

I really don't care what he does - I'm just relieved I will no longer have to suffer his (mostly) soul destroying football at Ashton Gate and his increasingly irksome interviews afterwards.

This sums up my view perfectly. 

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I haven't.

Nearly 200 appearances as a player, promotion from league 1 and a playoff final.

Over 200 games as a head coach, 38% win rate, loads of notable games.

He masterminded a win over Man Utd to reach a cup semi final, one of my top 3 favourite games ever, not to mention running Man City close over 2 legs. We saw players such as Ibrahimovic, Pogba, Aguero and DeBruyne down Ashton Gate, not to mention Pep and Jose.

Did he had to win the Champions League to earn our respect and well wishes?!!

As a manager he has finally won a trophy! What is often called, even by City fans, a Mickey Mouse Cup.

And Sunderland AFC fans, who consider that their club should be a permanent fixture in the Premier League, can hardly get too excited about winning it. It doesn't bring EUROPA Cup next season.

Unlike Bristol City who are a team that spends a lot of time in the third tier, where any trip to a cup final is a miracle to he enjoyed by their millions of fans.

Archived