IGNORED

JPT Final [Warning: Probable mention of former City staff]

Unan

5 minutes ago, Banned User said:

Jamie Paterson and Andi Wiemann are two of Johnsons favourite players in English football. Both out of contract at the end of the season..

That's a bloody good point. If Sunderland go up, and let's face it they're gonna be top 4, then those two signings are very much plausible.

How's about a bit of Baker and Watkins too??

NP might fancy a bit of Weimann though. The work ethic and attitude is right up his street.

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

That's a bloody good point. If Sunderland go up, and let's face it they're gonna be top 4, then those two signings are very much plausible.

NP might fancy a bit of Weimann though. The work ethic and attitude is right up his street.

I hope Weimanns injury doesn't reoccur as those type of injuries do. Great player for us IMO but NP and MA might not want to renew. I am sure his agent will try and get an improved contract as well even at weimanns age? 

1 hour ago, BanburyRed said:

I thought the final of this competition was supposed to pit North vs South....don't see anything remotely southern about Tranmere....

Think that format changed when the PL reserves entered, group stages are regionalised, after that it's not, didnt the Gas play Sunderland in a semi final a couple of years back ? 

Really pleased for him and really wish him all the best. He did a good job for us, he’s stabilised us and achieved steady progression which has allowed us to become an established championship club. He managed this whilst selling our best players, it’s a great achievement which he probably doesn’t get enough credit for.

In the end, he took us as far as he could.

I’ll always remember him as a manager that did a decent job and gave us that unforgettable cup run. He ultimately left us in a much stronger position than when he joined.

15 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

For me your reasons are not enough. His Dad got us to a play of final - so what?

To feel the need to wish LJ well, and 'really want him to succeed' you have to have formed an emotional attachment to him.

I haven't.

I didn't particularly dislike, or like, LJ as a player. He was the epitome of mediocre, but he tried hard enough and did a job.

I didn't like him being appointed City manager - no one will ever persuade me he merited getting the job, the football his team served up at AG was far too often unwatchable and, indeed unsuccessful, and in my opinion he should have been sacked a very long time before he eventually was.

Having no emotional attachment to LJ I don't feel any obligation to 'really want him to succeed' just because he played for, and managed, City - likewise I don't actively look for him to fail.

I really don't care what he does - I'm just relieved I will no longer have to suffer his (mostly) soul destroying football at Ashton Gate and his increasingly irksome interviews afterwards.

I'm not sure someone playing at the second highest level in their country can be called mediocre. Could argue he wasn't good enough for Championship but he could never be accused of not trying.

He gave me some of the best performances I've ever seen from this club. We still talk about Liverpool away, and we'll still talk about United at home for years to come. We didn't just scrape a result, we went toe to toe with a team littered with proper talent and ability. Likewise, we went to the Etihad and delivered the best away day of my life. Just a shame Aguero had to ruin the result but that half time being 1-0 up against arguably the best club in the world at the time will live long in the memory.

So for many of us, it's fair to say there is an emotional attachment, if not to him specifically to the team and performances he delivered on occasion.

It obviously wasn't all sunshine and rainbows, but he worked his bollocks off for this club. No reason not to want him to do well

I admit that I kept an eye on this game and wanted Sunderland to win because of the LJ links. 

It didn't work out in the end for him at BS3, which is a shame - and it was right that he went when he did, but he was far from being the worst manager we've had and he put everything he had into our club. I'm glad he's got some silverware now and wish him all the best - except when we play against Sunderland next season of course!

The level of dislike towards LJ in some quarters is weird. You'd think he'd got us relegated. He spent a fair bit of money, but also brought a lot into the club.

He didn't get us to the top six, but he did have most of his best players picked off, and deserves credit for getting them to a point where bigger clubs than ours wanted them.

He does talk like David Brent, but that and the hangover from his playing days are the only things I can think of to have a serious gripe towards him. The football went stale towards the end but that happens to most managers who end up getting sacked, including when GJ was here?

LJ was never the most inspiring appointment and did come up with some strange team selections and shapes, but equally as others have said he built us into a top-half Championship club and financially, we at worst were punching at our own weight if not above.

14 minutes ago, RonWalker said:

The level of dislike towards LJ in some quarters is weird. You'd think he'd got us relegated. He spent a fair bit of money, but also brought a lot into the club.

He didn't get us to the top six, but he did have most of his best players picked off, and deserves credit for getting them to a point where bigger clubs than ours wanted them.

He does talk like David Brent, but that and the hangover from his playing days are the only things I can think of to have a serious gripe towards him. The football went stale towards the end but that happens to most managers who end up getting sacked, including when GJ was here?

LJ was never the most inspiring appointment and did come up with some strange team selections and shapes, but equally as others have said he built us into a top-half Championship club and financially, we at worst were punching at our own weight if not above.

That's always been my view too. The dislike comes off as personal, so far beyond what's reasonable for a football fan towards a manager. He never tried to sabotage the club, just did his best. I've never known anything like it in all my time supporting us. 

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's always been my view too. The dislike comes off as personal, so far beyond what's reasonable for a football fan towards a manager. He never tried to sabotage the club, just did his best. I've never known anything like it in all my time supporting us. 

Not personal from my point of view.

Did good things for us, did some not so good things too.  A mixed bag imho.

I liked much of the tactical / technical info he gave in pre-match pressers.  I didn’t like the way he conducted post-match interviews in terms of a calling out players and self-praise.

I don’t dislike him, but I’m generally glad he’s no longer here.  

I’m not really bothered how he does at Sunderland, but it’s a great opportunity for him.  He’s got his first trophy, congrats.

I feel more interested in how Cotts is doing than LJ.  Just how it is for me.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not personal from my point of view.

Did good things for us, did some not so good things too.  A mixed bag imho.

I liked much of the tactical / technical info he gave in pre-match pressers.  I didn’t like the way he conducted post-match interviews in terms of a calling out players and self-praise.

I don’t dislike him, but I’m generally glad he’s no longer here.  

I’m not really bothered how he does at Sunderland, but it’s a great opportunity for him.  He’s got his first trophy, congrats.

I feel more interested in how Cotts is doing than LJ.  Just how it is for me.

But you're a rational poster Dave and I can't imagine it ever being personal for you. I can understand people having a preference (Cotterill or Johnson) but I can't understand why you'd want either to fail.

Maybe it's just me - but I like to show a passing interest in how former managers (and to an extent players) get on. Only ones that are here for a significant time or make an impact though. I've followed GJ's career since leaving us, not that closely but kept an eye on how he's getting on. Same for Cotterill and Johnson.

I think almost everyone felt like his time was up - but there's a clear personal undercurrent in some of the stick he (still) gets on here.

16 hours ago, mozo said:

That's assuming Weimann would want to leave, want to go to Sunderland, and want to work under Lee again. Would expect him to have better offers if we don't trigger the contract extension.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

But you're a rational poster Dave and I can't imagine it ever being personal for you. I can understand people having a preference (Cotterill or Johnson) but I can't understand why you'd want either to fail.

Maybe it's just me - but I like to show a passing interest in how former managers (and to an extent players) get on. Only ones that are here for a significant time or make an impact though. I've followed GJ's career since leaving us, not that closely but kept an eye on how he's getting on. Same for Cotterill and Johnson.

I think almost everyone felt like his time was up - but there's a clear personal undercurrent in some of the stick he (still) gets on here.

Cotterill and Johnson both did a lot of good for the club, I'll keep an eye out for both of them. Both ended sourly but their achievements can't be written off.

Pleased for LJ, but the Sky commentator yesterday said several times "they're a club that has suffered more than most" which is an extremely odd thing to say about a team that spent about 15 of the past 20 years in the Premier League.

I know it makes a good storyline, but feeling sorry for clubs that enjoy years in the spotlight and showered in money, only to then manage to screw up their gold-plated parachute payments so badly, is not really high on my sympathy list. 

Bury, perhaps even Wigan, yes - but struggle to see how Sunderland having 5 years outside the Prem is such an ordeal.

20 minutes ago, KegCity said:

That's assuming Weimann would want to leave, want to go to Sunderland, and want to work under Lee again. Would expect him to have better offers if we don't trigger the contract extension.

What calibre of club do you think would take him, bearing in mind his recent injury (and 30 years old, albeit a fit one)?

12 minutes ago, mozo said:

What calibre of club do you think would take him, bearing in mind his recent injury (and 30 years old, albeit a fit one)?

I would imagine every club mid table and below? Clearly a top end player when fully fit and in form, would be surprised if he's not at the club next season (barring his injury being worse than expected).

1 hour ago, KegCity said:

I would imagine every club mid table and below? Clearly a top end player when fully fit and in form, would be surprised if he's not at the club next season (barring his injury being worse than expected).

Yeah so if Sunderland went up there wouldn't be many bigger clubs than them in the bottom half, plus they've got the new owner and he might have a good relationship with LJ.

Archived