IGNORED

Cheltenham Festival

Mark barton

Cheltenham festival is now becoming a chav fest. 

Getting worse every year... especially today, Gold Cup day. Never seen so many people using coke and out of their heads. 

It's comical...peaky blinders meets Gok Wan finest in suits that don't fit, no socks, fights breaking out...pissed up, coked up...etc etc. Christ knows what Best Mates is like...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, spudski said:

Getting worse every year... especially today, Gold Cup day. Never seen so many people using coke and out of their heads. 

It's comical...peaky blinders meets Gok Wan finest in suits that don't fit, no socks, fights breaking out...pissed up, coked up...etc etc. Christ knows what Best Mates is like...

Agree with that. Worst sporting event I've ever attended. I get reinvited into hospitality every year and turn it down. 

Another three horses destroyed at the festival this year. Bemuses me that horse racing doesn't get pulled up on the safety record more. Over 5k horses killed in racing in this country in the past 20 or so years. 

Piss poor. Then again the links between Conservative party donors and horse racing are well know, I suppose. 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I won’t be going back anytime soon.  Ascot, Chester and Galway for me any day for various reasons.  Aintree is normally okay as well but also has its moments. 

12 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Agree with that. Worst sporting event I've ever attended. I get reinvited into hospitality every year and turn it down. 

Another three horses destroyed at the festival this year. Bemuses me that horse racing doesn't get pulled up on the safety record more. Over 5k horses killed in racing in this country in the past 20 or so years. 

Piss poor. Then again the links between Conservative party donors and horse racing are well know, I suppose. 

It's a shame because it used to be a great week. 

As for the ' politics and ethics'...I guess you can find a reason to change or stop many sports. We talk about heading a ball in football...yet boxing and other type of sports...

I don't think you can blame a Political party for horse racing. It's followed and run by people from all walks of life. You may as well ban fishing and blame that on the Labour party with that thought process. 

I've got a very small share in a horse at Paul Nichols yard. The lads and lasses that work at these yards and really love and care for the horse's is impeccable. And they are in the majority ' normal working class people'. As are the jockey's. 

6 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Totally agree. I have to live through it. It has changed dramatically these last years. It used to be an Irish invasion, with many loveable , slightly drunk but fun people from the emerald isle. now, a chav fest . It has become like a stag weekend, and is far far far away from the classy fun event it used to be. Male dominated, and more like a football crowd today. It has totally lost any semblance of a fine sporting event . I recall people moaning about the price of beer at the Gate. well even in normal pubs, this week they have been charging close to £7 for a pint of Guinness. 

The best races at Cheltenham are New Years day and the November meeting. 

Totally agree. £8.50 a pint at the course. Over 300,000 consumed. Massive profits. 

You are right about it feeling more like a 'lads' stag weekend. It doesn't help when the like of ITV live reporters are whipping them up into a frenzy.

I'm all for making all sporting events inclusive...but at least keep some standards. 

People moan about certain sports being made more accommodating and welcoming the ' common' man...now look at Cheltenham, Golf and Cricket. More akin to drunk stag party's. 

I can't get my head around why so many were taking Coke...for what purpose at a Race meeting?

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

Totally agree. £8.50 a pint at the course. Over 300,000 consumed. Massive profits. 

You are right about it feeling more like a 'lads' stag weekend. It doesn't help when the like of ITV live reporters are whipping them up into a frenzy.

I'm all for making all sporting events inclusive...but at least keep some standards. 

People moan about certain sports being made more accommodating and welcoming the ' common' man...now look at Cheltenham, Golf and Cricket. More akin to drunk stag party's. 

I can't get my head around why so many were taking Coke...for what purpose at a Race meeting?

Sniff the Coke to carry on drinking. Ending in the scenes you witness. Vicious circle 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

Coke consumption in the under 30s is massive.  Taken by a lot on every night out and even whilst watching TV so they wouldn’t even consider not taking it to Cheltenham 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, spudski said:

Sorry, but it wasn’t £8.50 a pint on the course, it was £7

i go every year on the Tuesday, as said this year was busiest I had ever seen it and it did resemble a Friday crowd, I refuse to attend the Friday now and have done for the last few festival weeks 

Edited by Club and Country
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, spudski said:

Yes, is it any wonder they have to apologize after some drunken Paddy shouts out ..".A Plus Tard will **** up " when being asked who will win !

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Club and Country said:

Sorry, but it wasn’t £8.50 a pint on the course, it was £7

i go every year on the Tuesday, as said this year was busiest I had ever seen it and it did resemble a Friday crowd, I refuse to attend the Friday now and have done for the last few festival weeks 

You are quite correct. Misread my receipts. Wine was £8.50 not the Guinness. Either way...way too much. Thankfully was up for the week.