IGNORED

Interesting, re managers

Find it interesting that three clubs who appointed new managers last summer, are three clubs who have sacked their managers this season.

Us with Holden, Bournemouth with Tindall and seeming Birmingham with Karanka.

Does that say anything at all or just coincidence?

Are the three clubs basket cases? Or was the standard of candidate actually available in the summer very low?

Or is appointing a manager just a crapshoot? ?

7 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Find it interesting that three clubs who appointed new managers last summer, are three clubs who have sacked their managers this season.

Are the three clubs basket cases? Or was the standard of candidate actually available in the summer very low?

They were all bad appointments, that’s all.  Two had no experience and one has never really done much in this league or a while now. 

7 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

They were all bad appointments, that’s all.  Two had no experience and one has never really done much in this league or a while now. 

It confirms that what all of us should know - that is that any managerial appointments are a risky business, a gamble. Some pay off and others don’t.

That said a club reduces the likelihood of failing by appointing a manager with a proven CV and even then that doesn’t always pay off.

If there was a proven method of appointing the right guy every club would do it.

17 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Also appointing/promoting from within a failed management team (BCFC, Bournemouth), as opposed to appointing/promoting from within a successful one.

Speaking of this, anyone else surprised Sheff U have gone straight for Tindall (albeit only until the season ends). I suppose he had Bournemouth in a tidy position all season but it seems to me like he’s just there to captain the ship as it sinks to the championship without them expecting any real ‘response’.

1 hour ago, BCFCGav said:

Speaking of this, anyone else surprised Sheff U have gone straight for Tindall (albeit only until the season ends). I suppose he had Bournemouth in a tidy position all season but it seems to me like he’s just there to captain the ship as it sinks to the championship without them expecting any real ‘response’.

Has that been announced?  Wow!

8 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Our Board and Owner were a total combined basket case over a six week period last Summer - that's fact in my view, not even up for discussion.

Many people "suspected" that Dean Holden would be operating a number of rungs above his pay grade when appointed. Ashton and the Lansdown's should have bloody well KNOWN this would be the case. I will never blame Dean Holden for applying and subsequently being appointed - of course he would have thought he could make the step up...................there are only three people who acted the basket case last Summer.

It may well work out superbly in the end if Pearson stays and can implement things his way but even the most dyed in the wool supporter of the Owner has to admit that we are VERY FORTUNATE to have been able to get hold of NP as we have. Just think about the fact that had Holden obtained one or two more results or avoided one or two of the totally embarrassing performances like Watford and Barnsley he would still be doing this job and we as fans would have had a minimum of another season of absolute dirge on that pitch to look forward to................and Pearson would have been Nigel Who?

Season ticket sales would have been significantly down (by thousands in my view), no doubt about that, and club/supporter relations would have been at an all time low. I still think Covid will have an effect on sales but not as much as it might have done pre-Pearson. I would go as far to say that removing Holden, as likeable a chap as he is and as hard as he worked for the club, is the single best footballing decision that Steve Lansdown has ever made whilst owning this football club. His next best decision after that, potentially, will be the one that precedes the Presser where NP is announced as permanent Manager.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

According to the Sheffield Utd OS (which is the only reliable source, obvs). Heckingbotham is manager to end of season supported by Tindall and Alan Knill. 

Guess they’ve decided to accept relegation and rebuild in the summer. Feels like things could spiral badly for them though.

31 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

According to the Sheffield Utd OS (which is the only reliable source, obvs). Heckingbotham is manager to end of season supported by Tindall and Alan Knill. 

Read somewhere yesterday that the new owner & Tindall were childhood best mates and it was inevitable he'd be brought on board. Not sure how true this is mind. 

2 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Read somewhere yesterday that the new owner & Tindall were childhood best mates and it was inevitable he'd be brought on board. Not sure how true this is mind. 

Isn’t the owner a Saudi Prince? I’m not sure he and Tindall would have been childhood best friends on that basis

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

But only as assistant to Paul Heckingbottom, so in effect same role he had with Eddie Howe. I can see the long term plan would be to entice Eddie Howe for next season having his assistant already in place.

Just now, E.G.Red said:

But only as assistant to Paul Heckingbottom, so in effect same role he had with Eddie Howe. I can see the long term plan would be to entice Eddie Howe for next season having his assistant already in place.

Clever GIF by memecandy

I think you might be right.

56 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

I can see Sheff Utd struggling next season if they don't get someone in like Howe.

Aging squad, getting beaten pretty much every week can never be good in any league so would be surprised if they have a great start to next season in the Champ.

Overall think they've got a fairly average Championship squad.

3 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Our Board and Owner were a total combined basket case over a six week period last Summer - that's fact in my view, not even up for discussion.

Many people "suspected" that Dean Holden would be operating a number of rungs above his pay grade when appointed. Ashton and the Lansdown's should have bloody well KNOWN this would be the case. I will never blame Dean Holden for applying and subsequently being appointed - of course he would have thought he could make the step up...................there are only three people who acted the basket case last Summer.

It may well work out superbly in the end if Pearson stays and can implement things his way but even the most dyed in the wool supporter of the Owner has to admit that we are VERY FORTUNATE to have been able to get hold of NP as we have. Just think about the fact that had Holden obtained one or two more results or avoided one or two of the totally embarrassing performances like Watford and Barnsley he would still be doing this job and we as fans would have had a minimum of another season of absolute dirge on that pitch to look forward to................and Pearson would have been Nigel Who?

Season ticket sales would have been significantly down (by thousands in my view), no doubt about that, and club/supporter relations would have been at an all time low. I still think Covid will have an effect on sales but not as much as it might have done pre-Pearson. I would go as far to say that removing Holden, as likeable a chap as he is and as hard as he worked for the club, is the single best footballing decision that Steve Lansdown has ever made whilst owning this football club. His next best decision after that, potentially, will be the one that precedes the Presser where NP is announced as permanent Manager.

Can’t argue with any of that.

I agree with most of the comments here. They were bad appointments, my reasoning behind the post was about why these appointments were made.

Did Covid have a bigger effect than we thought? Were the top candidates actually unavailable- Pearson (ill), Cook (contractual timings), Bowyer (wanted to give Charlton a chance), Gerrard (pipedream)

9 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Clever GIF by memecandy

I think you might be right.

Why would they wait til summer for Howe? He’s available now? 

3 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Was he fave for any current Premiership jobs? I remember him being mentioned for us and Celtic. Maybe a clause saying he couldn’t go to a Prem club this season?

Well, not fave, but linked with various jobs. 

23 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

The Blades have sacked Wilder? Crazy, he's done a remarkable job

On 15/03/2021 at 09:14, Numero Uno said:

What a joke, not up for discussion, perhaps there was a bit more to it that you do not know about

43 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

What a joke, not up for discussion, perhaps there was a bit more to it that you do not know about

Perhaps our Board delivered to expectations in the Summer like they’ve done for years. There’s always an excuse for our Board and then funnily enough when the Owner realises the fan base have got the right hump, like properly pissed off, and season ticket sales WILL be massively dropping he’s able to go out and do something about it straight away. Fair play to him on that btw but give him a get out on appointing Holden.......not me.

Archived