IGNORED

Run in predictor

Silvio Dante

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-nigel-pearson-blackburn-5176502

These are always more fun when it looks like we might make the playoffs, but at the above link (12:10), the Evening Post have the run in for the last ten games to allow you to predict the league table at the end of the season.

I ended up with an unchanged top 2/6, and Birmingham joining Weds and Wycombe in relegation. Had us finishing on 69 points, so very good run in form, but still 10 outside the playoffs.

30 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I may have been a bit generous to Norwich and may be a little too much on the Barnsley hype train, only gave QPR 5 more points and Wycombe 2 ?

Screenshot 2021-03-15 at 17.30.45.png

I thought the objective of these things were to show City just squeezing into the play-offs.  You’ve made a mistake. ???

Our run in is very favourable but we are just too far off to make the playoffs imo. Looking like mid 70s for the last couple of spots and we’d just reach that if we won our next 9 and lost to Brentford. Shame we didn’t axe holden sooner and get NP in say a month earlier

I am normally optimistic when the usual predictions are made for the last 10 games, but even i realise we have zero chance of making the playoffs

Reading and Barnsley who are currently 5th and 6th have both currently got 61 points from 36 games  =  1.69 points per game  x 46 = 78 points,

So  if they both continue  at the same rate = 78 points. We are currently on 48 points with 10 games left so we would have to win all 10 games just

to draw level and then we would miss out on goal difference.

Roll on next seaspn.

Early 60s and a position above 12th would be about what I expected of this season. If Nige stays, and the summer recruitment goes well, I'll raise my expectations. Again.

10 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Doing a prediction for league 1 is far more interesting (and amusing).....

Did you get the Sags finishing 25th, too?

16 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Our run in is very favourable but we are just too far off to make the playoffs imo. Looking like mid 70s for the last couple of spots and we’d just reach that if we won our next 9 and lost to Brentford. Shame we didn’t axe holden sooner and get NP in say a month earlier

In the long run the timing could have been perfect.  There's every chance that NP wouldn't have been quite ready to return to management a month earlier following his health problems last year.  It may be that waiting the extra month has allowed us to finally get the guy who will take us to the next level. At the end of the day we'll never know I suppose.

On 16/03/2021 at 08:09, City1984 said:

Any hope we will finish above the blue Taffs  is hope enough for me to keep hoping. 

Interesting that they were, what, 5th(?) a couple of weeks ago, a very little 'stutter' as their winning running ended and suddenly they're 9th and a win tonight for us and we are 4 points behind them. 

Finishing above them would be a very nice target. 

Only a few short weeks ago I strongly suspect that a majority of fans were genuinely worried that we'd be sucked into the relegation battle by the end of the season. 

Fortunately Pearson's appointment has put those concerns to bed. From now on in I don't think where we finish is important - it's how we finish that is. 

If we see improving and more consistent performances, even if we lose a few, and end the season with good momentum, we will have a lot of positivity to carry into next season and, perhaps most importantly, enable us to secure NP long term. 

On 16/03/2021 at 08:09, City1984 said:

Any hope we will finish above the blue Taffs  is hope enough for me to keep hoping. 

I just had a little look through the old Championship/First Division tables as I couldn't remember the last time we finished above Cardiff. Embarrassingly, we've only finished higher in the table than them once since 2003 which was the Championship Play-off Final season.

3 hours ago, Coppello said:

I just had a little look through the old Championship/First Division tables as I couldn't remember the last time we finished above Cardiff. Embarrassingly, we've only finished higher in the table than them once since 2003 which was the Championship Play-off Final season.

I pulled together a dashboard last week for clubs who got promoted to the Champ around the same time as us who have similar(ish) budgets.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/fevsfootballanalytics#!/vizhome/LeaguePosn/LeaguePositionssince2013-14

It compares League positions since 13/14.  If you click on the link above you can filter whichever of the 9 teams you want.

50DB4771-B2D4-4533-A1D7-100897C4DB17.thumb.jpeg.6d867e864a744e05761b8b6a4f7e292e.jpeg

This is City measured against PNE.  This season is up to last weekend’s fixtures.

4 hours ago, downendcity said:

Only a few short weeks ago I strongly suspect that a majority of fans were genuinely worried that we'd be sucked into the relegation battle by the end of the season. 

Fortunately Pearson's appointment has put those concerns to bed. From now on in I don't think where we finish is important - it's how we finish that is. 

If we see improving and more consistent performances, even if we lose a few, and end the season with good momentum, we will have a lot of positivity to carry into next season and, perhaps most importantly, enable us to secure NP long term. 

Spot on!   

I've highlighted the critical word as well.  How often have we seen teams in the football league do quite well with the momentum of their last season behind them. It lifts morale in existing players and makes it easier to recruit decent additions. 

Assuming Nige stays, the summer is when the real work starts. We have obvious weaknesses in our available players. The squad has been allowed to evolve in a not very logical fashion. A few key signings and we'll be in a decent place for 21/22.

Archived