IGNORED

Blackburn - pre-match presser (NP)

Davefevs

Few things I quite liked in that.

"More gritty and find a point from a losing position, so it's basic stuff."

That is a baseline for high standards.

And

"It was a good performance and it's important we recognise that but setting higher standards means I will be expecting us to replicate that standard of performance."

I like that he didn't go overboard, but gave it some credit.

Point 2. Consistency is very important and consistency of this not least as a baseline will be very good to build on. Not least defending as a team, 100% from all- that should be the baseline and starting point. Provides a platform for momsome added technical football and more flair/expansiveness down the line?

NP on Spotify / Robins Nest:

• Tommy Rowe trained well today
  • Sees himself as part of a team trying to maximise “what we have”
  • Knew enough about KP before he took over, knew he had ability, but rules apply to him, no magic wand, get the framework right to allow players to bring their own qualities to the team.  Been impressed with his work rate and pleased to have players with different strengths and abilities.
  • All players need to work hard in / out of possession, strikers are first line of defence, gk and defenders are first line of attack.
  • Good to have Walsh available, an opportunity for him to show what he can do.  NP happy to work with all of the players.  Asked about contract.  “Contract updates are not for the public domain”.  When there’s news you’ll hear about it.
  • Never underestimate any side (Blackburn)
  • Really enjoying time here, but understands he has to earn the right to stay here....but good club and would be very pleased to stay.
  • doesn’t enjoy being a pundit really, too much punditry!

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

• Knew enough about KP before he took over, knew he had ability, but rules apply to him, no magic wand, get the framework right to allow players to bring their own qualities to the team.  Been impressed with his work rate and pleased to have players with different strengths and abilities.
  • All players need to work hard in / out of possession, strikers are first line of defence, gk and defenders are first line of attack.
  • Good to have Walsh available, an opportunity for him to show what he can do.  NP happy to work with all of the players.  Asked about contract.  “Contract updates are not for the public domain”.  When there’s news you’ll hear about it.
  • Really enjoying time here, but understands he has to earn the right to stay here....but good club and would be very pleased to stay.

My favourite comment by far was “it’s not about making friends”...

Pearson speaks with an authority of someone who knows his job inside out. It doesn't provide any guarantee whatsoever he will be a success in the job but compare and contrast what he is saying with what we have had to listen to over a number of years. He's not trying to impress or educate anyone by reciting paragraphs on end out of the 2021 FA Coaching Manual.....................I'm not hearing 10 solid minutes of talk about final third or box entries, POMO's, how effective we were in transition, which passing lanes we blocked off, which block or press we employed etc. etc. Nothing wrong at all with all that stuff and I know lots of people love that side of the game and do some great analysis of it on here but Pearson is impressing me by keeping things nice, simple and understandable to ANYONE listening.

A lot of what he says is simple yet effective logic and reasoning with no bullshit and bluster attached to it. If the players are receiving the same message that we are as fans then how can they not respond? Something as simple as "I thought you were good on Saturday so now you've increased my expectation levels" is sending a clear, simple and yet positively delivered message that reverting to type won't be tolerated in the long run. He's a breath of fresh air atm. 

56 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Pearson speaks with an authority of someone who knows his job inside out. It doesn't provide any guarantee whatsoever he will be a success in the job but compare and contrast what he is saying with what we have had to listen to over a number of years. He's not trying to impress or educate anyone by reciting paragraphs on end out of the 2021 FA Coaching Manual.....................I'm not hearing 10 solid minutes of talk about final third or box entries, POMO's, how effective we were in transition, which passing lanes we blocked off, which block or press we employed etc. etc. Nothing wrong at all with all that stuff and I know lots of people love that side of the game and do some great analysis of it on here but Pearson is impressing me by keeping things nice, simple and understandable to ANYONE listening.

A lot of what he says is simple yet effective logic and reasoning with no bullshit and bluster attached to it. If the players are receiving the same message that we are as fans then how can they not respond? Something as simple as "I thought you were good on Saturday so now you've increased my expectation levels" is sending a clear, simple and yet positively delivered message that reverting to type won't be tolerated in the long run. He's a breath of fresh air atm. 

Great innit?

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Great innit?

Simple answer.........yes it is great!! The guy is speaking a language every single one of us understands and doing it with an air of authority. There will be tougher times ahead, inevitably, if he's here any length of time but when you have someone like Pearson in charge it doesn't half make you think that as a club we have shifted the odds in our favour a little bit. He's convinced me already that if he stays AND HE IS PROPERLY BACKED then we will have something to look forward to.

I can understand why some haven't taken to his slow and sometimes laboured delivery in interviews, but for me his considered and relatively simple answers (although sometimes a bit of a ramble) are fine. He does have an air of gravitas about him which, lets face it, and no disrespect to those before him, is unusual for this club.

I also like his comment about players playing well and him saying thats the bar set - don't drop below it, its what is expected from now on. Hopefully, thats the end of the "comfy club." 

Its seems a given that he's here for the longer term if the club want to take the opportunity. We'll find out just how ambitious the club is in a few weeks.

I also enjoy the way he gently slaps journalists down -

Contract discussions are not for the public - It's about working with all the players (not just Liam Walsh) etc etc

His reference to being not well enough to work a few months ago was also interesting. Based on his demeanour and press conferences he is certainly a publically more reflective person than he was whilst at Leicester.  Probably a good thing in the long run.

6 minutes ago, Hxj said:

I also enjoy the way he gently slaps journalists down -

Contract discussions are not for the public - It's about working with all the players (not just Liam Walsh) etc etc

His reference to being not well enough to work a few months ago was also interesting. Based on his demeanour and press conferences he is certainly a publically more reflective person than he was whilst at Leicester.  Probably a good thing in the long run.

Our journos are gonna have to think of some different questions.  Yesterday was a different bloke (Gregor on a day off I assume), but the questions were very Gregor-like.

I’m not sure it’s a simple job coming up with questions that Nige will like.  I think that he’d prefer it if they were to ask - can you give us an update on injuries, rather than specific players, where the interviewer is making an assumption on the answer.

To me, NP has laid some ground rules.  He gives lovely long answers to good questions, but he’s been pretty clear on a few things and therefore it’s a bit pointless asking the same question at each interview.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

He reminds me slightly of O'Driscoll in some ways. He's not nearly as dour, but SO'D spoke in a similar way. It was unfortunate he joined and managed the club when we were in a pretty bad way  because I felt lots of his ideas were the right ones. It's been mentioned many times on here, but his legacy with transfers (especially considering the cost cutting we were doing) is one of the best in recent history.

@GrahamC I notice my post confused you!

Just to clarify, SO'D bought in:

Pack, Williams, Flint, JET and Fielding. All at a time when the club was cutting back. 4 of them went on to be consistent starters in the double winning side and JET a crucial squad player who also did his part.

I think, all things considered, that's a very impressive transfer legacy. I never particularly warmed to him, he's dour and grumpy, but he did speak sense. It would've sounded a lot better if the club was doing well. It wasn't very inspiring during a relegation. He probably made life very difficult for the board and said lots that they didn't want to hear. 

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Pack, Williams, Flint, JET and Fielding. All at a time when the club was cutting back. 4 of them went on to be consistent starters in the double winning side and JET a crucial squad player who also did his part.

I think, all things considered, that's a very impressive transfer legacy. I never particularly warmed to him, he's dour and grumpy, but he did speak sense. It would've sounded a lot better if the club was doing well. It wasn't very inspiring during a relegation. He probably made life very difficult for the board and said lots that they didn't want to hear. 

I think in the round (& I completely accept he operated at a time of greater financial restrictions) it was a really mixed bag with I acknowledge some gems, though both Flint & Fielding (especially the latter) have said he ruined their confidence.

Howard, Mahoney, Parish, O’Connor Harewood & Shorey were amongst more than a few that certainly couldn’t be classified as successes.

Though for balance Wagstaff was also a SOD signing & a good one.

13 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I think in the round (& I completely accept he operated at a time of greater financial restrictions) it was a really mixed bag with I acknowledge some gems, though both Flint & Fielding (especially the latter) have said he ruined their confidence.

Howard, Mahoney, Parish, O’Connor Harewood & Shorey were amongst more than a few that certainly couldn’t be classified as successes.

Though for balance Wagstaff was also a SOD signing & a good one.

I think in fairness to him he was fairly constrained with who he could bring in thanks to the financial situation he faced. We needed to strengthen the squad due to all the departures. I also think it's fairly rare for any manager to have a 100% hit rate, especially in the situation we were under. You could argue that Harewood helped bring experience and maturity to a young group, Parish was a reasonable backup keeper.

I remember Shorey being a disaster and Howard too. O'Connor I recall playing against Rovers but didn't he get injured soon after? Don't remember an awful lot about Mahoney. 

My point about his transfer legacy wasn't necessarily about how well he did *with* the players, but testament to his ability to identify talent. Future managers went on to benefit hugely from the likes of Fielding, Flint, Pack and Williams. 

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

In particular like the highlighted statement, makes me wonder how long he will tolerate Fammy for as in open play he offers no defence, i.e.  half hearted closing down. I accept Fammy is great at winning defensive headers in our own box (strangely not so good at winning them in the ops box). 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I hated the bloke, miserable from the moment he walked through the door. Least favourite manager in my time of watching City. 

Pack was suggested to the club for quite a while from the fans, he was the man who was in charge when he was finally signed, but I genuinely believe a lot of the reason we went for him is because the club were badgered by a few regarding him. - Could of course be a load of rubbish, just my opinion. 

Flint is another where many would question his complete involvement. Did he not make public comments regarding how much we paid & that he felt it was too much? 

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Is nobody else slightly concerned by these comments or am I reading too much into it?

11 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Is nobody else slightly concerned by these comments or am I reading too much into it?

Not concerned in the slightest - in fact I’m delighted to see/hear what Big Nige had to say.

He’s very candid and we’re becoming accustomed to him being so honest,

I really this guy already and it’s clear why the Foxes fans loved him so much.

Just now, Robbored said:

Not concerned in the slightest - in fact I’m delighted to see/hear what Big Nige had to say.

He’s very candid and we’re becoming accustomed to him being so honest,

I really this guy already and it’s clear why the Foxes fans loved him so much.

Thanks Robbored, good post. I totally agree but the highlighted doesn't sound to me like long term comments. That said, I'm desperate for Nige to stay so am most certainly reading too much! ?

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

I hated the bloke, miserable from the moment he walked through the door. Least favourite manager in my time of watching City. 

Pack was suggested to the club for quite a while from the fans, he was the man who was in charge when he was finally signed, but I genuinely believe a lot of the reason we went for him is because the club were badgered by a few regarding him. - Could of course be a load of rubbish, just my opinion. 

Flint is another where many would question his complete involvement. Did he not make public comments regarding how much we paid & that he felt it was too much? 

Yeah I didn't like him either as a personality, such a shame we had to waste a Bristol derby on him. I remember him scolding the fans who ran on the pitch too.

You're definitely right about Flint, I remember that too. Not sure about Pack - however as he signed them both he deserves credit imo as the buck stops with him. 

2 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Thanks Robbored, good post. I totally agree but the highlighted doesn't sound to me like long term comments. That said, I'm desperate for Nige to stay so am most certainly reading too much! ?

He has said that he'd be open to staying here longer term.

Depends on SL and terms of contract I spose.

I wouldn't break the bank personally, but I would try to keep him here if I were SL.

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

He has said that he'd be open to staying here longer term.

Depends on SL and terms of contract I spose.

I wouldn't break the bank personally, but I would try to keep him here if I were SL.

I do agree but there would be a lot of disgruntled supporters if we let big Nige slip away.

i really like big nigel gives the impression if you don't give %100 on the field be prepared to swap the grass to sit on your ass.to many players over the years have been picked when playing bad and left them in a comfort zone frame of mind. Comfort zone ended as soon as he walk through the door.

Archived