IGNORED

Messi

RoystonFoote'snephew

There are hardly any superlatives left in talking about Lionel Messi but tonight he equalled Xavi's appearance record for Barcelona of 767 games, which he will surely break against Sociedad this weekend. Inevitably he scored twice bringing his total to 661 goals in those 767 matches, a goal every 1.16 games. That equates to a goal around every 104 minutes although it could be better than that as he won't have played for 90 minutes in each game. 

Saw him play at the Camp Nou about 5 or 6 years ago against Espanyol. My plan was to watch him closely to see why he’s such a brilliant player but in was impossible. I lost track of him but suddenly he was thru on goal....he scored a hat trick that day with two very dodgy penalties one which he won himself ..............:cool2:

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Saw him play at the Camp Neu about 5 or 6 years ago against Espanyol. My plan was to watch him closely to see why he’s such a brilliant player but in was impossible. I lost track of him but suddenly he was thru on goal....he scored a hat trick that day with two very dodgy penalties one which he won himself ..............:cool2:

Would you rather we signed him or Barry Bannan?

1 hour ago, Bristolisredd said:

I don’t care what people say ... he is better than ronaldo .

ronaldo has had to work so hard to get to where he is and fair play to him but Messi just has raw natural ability which just comes to him 

It’s a tough call for me.  There’s something about Ronaldo (certainly up until the last year or so) that made me think if I had to pick one in my City team, I’d go Ronaldo, because he’s more versatile.  Ronaldo done it at several clubs too, as well as Internationally.  That’s always what I come back to as my very slight edge for him over Messi....but it’s so, so close.

Ultimately both are in the top 2, and as they are different types of player, you are always gonna get a good debate.  Their longevity is amazing really.

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

The guy is a genius, i got to see him a year or 2 ago, and whacked in a free kick, but wish i could have seen him 10 years ago, he is slowing down considerably now, but thats a lot of wear and tear on his body! The chip against betis last season is one of the best goals ive ever seen.

I saw him play almost exactly 10 years ago. We were all super excited to see an in form Messi, he had scored something like 20 goals in the previous 10 games. 

He was crap and barely got into the game, but Henry got a hattrick (as he did all 3 times I saw him play live). 

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s a tough call for me.  There’s something about Ronaldo (certainly up until the last year or so) that made me think if I had to pick one in my City team, I’d go Ronaldo, because he’s more versatile.  Ronaldo done it at several clubs too, as well as Internationally.  That’s always what I come back to as my very slight edge for him over Messi....but it’s so, so close.

Ultimately both are in the top 2, and as they are different types of player, you are always gonna get a good debate.  Their longevity is amazing really.

I actually find the debate about who's 'better' quite dull. I appreciate it's inevitable though. 

I think Messi is the more naturally talented, and he's achieved all that he has in spite of his small stature - although arguably that's helped his game. 

I think Ronaldo has more of an elite and ruthless winning mentality and has improved and adapted his game continuously over his entire career. I remember his debut with United when he was another tricky winger with little end product. To evolve into a world class powerful complete forward within 15 years is amazing really. 

I think also that Ronaldo could do a good job in any position in the pitch, even defence. You wouldn't even think about playing Messi anywhere else aside from in an attacking midfield or forward role. 

It'll be really interesting to see whether the next generation get anywhere near those two. The obvious two are Mbappe and Haaland and the media are trying their best to make that a rivalry !

2 hours ago, Bristolisredd said:

I don’t care what people say ... he is better than ronaldo .

ronaldo has had to work so hard to get to where he is and fair play to him but Messi just has raw natural ability which just comes to him 

And backed up by sports scientists, hormone injections, a superhuman training regime from infancy and being transported across the globe to be coached at one of the worlds best academies .. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I'm not sure I'd class Ronaldo's international achievements as any better than Messi's. Maybe by a small margin.

On a separate note, Messi's first goal last night was immense.

24 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Ronaldo is the better athlete and goalscorer.

Messi is the better overall player.

Messi's passing is often overlooked but is up there with the best in the world over the last 10 years.

At the end of their careers Messi will have scored a substantial amount more than ronaldo 

Messi is a genius with a football. He still does the business on a weekly basis, just witness his two special goals in the last week. I watch him play every game.  ( £6.99 a month is a steal for la Liga tv).

Football will be a very sad place when he retires, he’s given 20 years of sheer entertainment. No one else can do what he can, no one.

25 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I was at that game as well, with my son. I too lost track of him, as i was about 5 miles up in the clouds. Should have been less tight when buying the tickets!

We were a bit closer - in the middle section. The pitch still looked miles away but oddly enough it was easy enough to see individual players.

Barca won 4-1 iirc.

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I actually find the debate about who's 'better' quite dull. I appreciate it's inevitable though. 

I think Messi is the more naturally talented, and he's achieved all that he has in spite of his small stature - although arguably that's helped his game. 

I think Ronaldo has more of an elite and ruthless winning mentality and has improved and adapted his game continuously over his entire career. I remember his debut with United when he was another tricky winger with little end product. To evolve into a world class powerful complete forward within 15 years is amazing really. 

I think also that Ronaldo could do a good job in any position in the pitch, even defence. You wouldn't even think about playing Messi anywhere else aside from in an attacking midfield or forward role. 

It'll be really interesting to see whether the next generation get anywhere near those two. The obvious two are Mbappe and Haaland and the media are trying their best to make that a rivalry !

You make a good point in that Ronaldo a few years back could have been asked to fill in at Right Back and would still have looked one of the best players on the pitch.

2 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

I'm not sure I'd class Ronaldo's international achievements as any better than Messi's. Maybe by a small margin.

On a separate note, Messi's first goal last night was immense.

Ronaldo international honours

Uefa European Championship titles: 1 (2016)

Uefa Nations League titles: 1 (2019) 

Messi international honours

Fifa Under-20 World Cup: 1 (2005) 

Olympic Gold Medal: 1 (2008)

That’s my view anyway.

Doesn't Messi have more assists and goals per minutes on pitch too? I would fully expect Messi to go beyond Ronaldo by some distance in all stats.

Neither have done anything incredible at International level - not helped by the players they have had around them to a certain extent - although I think Ronaldo values it higher. Let's be honest, although Portugal won the Euros in 2016 they were fortunate to say the least. They didn't actually win a game in 90 minutes in the whole tournament except against Wales, came third in their group and only progressed because it was harder to go out at the group stage than progress. 

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think Messi just for me, hence my OP, but I agree that it's, almost too close to call. Being around at the same time, and especially playing for the major rival clubs in the best league in the world, has I am sure spurred each of them on. Different players yes but their skill levels pretty much unmatched elsewhere (Neymar and Mbappe don't come close). 

Archived