IGNORED

Messi

RoystonFoote'snephew

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Ronaldo international honours

Uefa European Championship titles: 1 (2016)

Uefa Nations League titles: 1 (2019) 

Messi international honours

Fifa Under-20 World Cup: 1 (2005) 

Olympic Gold Medal: 1 (2008)

That’s my view anyway.

Wow, was Portugal's Euros win really five years ago?

But anyway... I personally don't think either of them have set the world alight on the international stage. They've both had their moments, but that's about it. Saying that, I don't think it matters as I think their other achievements more than make up for it

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It’s a tough call for me.  There’s something about Ronaldo (certainly up until the last year or so) that made me think if I had to pick one in my City team, I’d go Ronaldo, because he’s more versatile.  Ronaldo done it at several clubs too, as well as Internationally.  That’s always what I come back to as my very slight edge for him over Messi....but it’s so, so close.

Ultimately both are in the top 2, and as they are different types of player, you are always gonna get a good debate.  Their longevity is amazing really.

Try the "playground" test, Fevs:

You're one of two captains in the playground, you've got first dibs, before you stand a throng from whom to choose, including Messi and Ronaldo. 

Pick Ronaldo and you know you'll be against Messi; pick Messi and you're against Ronaldo.

Which is it?

We’ve been lucky to witness 2 of football’s all time greats performing at their best and at the same time. That both did so for Spain’s top 2 teams made it all the more enthralling.

Messi probably the more naturally talented while I think that Ronaldo has probably worked the harder in order to maximise his talents. 

10 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

You're one of two captains in the playground, you've got first dibs, before you stand a throng from whom to choose, including Messi and Ronaldo. 

Pick Ronaldo and you know you'll be against Messi; pick Messi and you're against Ronaldo.

Which is it?

Chris Brunt obviously!

2 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Doesn't Messi have more assists and goals per minutes on pitch too?

Yes.

I would fully expect Messi to go beyond Ronaldo by some distance in all stats.

Messi in regards to distances covered in games falls behind most players. He is not exceptionally in a physical sense.  In athletic tests Ronaldo physical attributes are of the exceptional jumping ability on par and above NBA stars, sprinting ability bordering on Olympian allied to endurance and recovery. He could play any role on the pitch with his attributes. 

Doesn't Messi have more assists and goals per minutes on pitch too? I would fully expect Messi to go beyond Ronaldo by some distance in all stats.

Neither have done anything incredible at International level - not helped by the players they have had around them to a certain extent - 

Ronaldo does elevate a ordinary Portugal. 

Let's be honest, although Portugal won the Euros in 2016 they were fortunate to say the least. They didn't actually win a game in 90 minutes in the whole tournament except against Wales, came third in their group and only progressed because it was harder to go out at the group stage than progress. 

Without Ronaldo ... Ronaldo drives them on.  

2 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Yes.

Messi in regards to distances covered in games falls behind most players. He is not exceptionally in a physical sense.  In athletic tests Ronaldo physical attributes are of the exceptional jumping ability on par and above NBA stars, sprinting ability bordering on Olympian allied to endurance and recovery. He could play any role on the pitch with his attributes. 

Ronaldo does elevate a ordinary Portugal. 

Without Ronaldo ... Ronaldo drives them on.  

He definitely does drive them as you say. Both outstanding but messi for me.

10 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

He definitely does drive them as you say. Both outstanding but messi for me.

In a team like Barcelona yes. He has not chosen to do otherwise.

Ronaldo has proven he has the the technical, physical and mental ability to adapt to the challenges of differing leagues. I would choose that proven flexibility allied to that constant challenging mindset. 

15 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Messi over Ronaldo for me all day.

In regard to Messi’s stats - they are obviously amazing but in Spain there are 3/4 decent teams. The rest are way below. Would love to have seen Messi at his peak in the PL

I would like to have seen Messi in the PL at his pomp too.

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

In a team like Barcelona yes. He has not chosen to do otherwise.

Ronaldo has proven he has the the technical, physical and mental ability to adapt to the challenges of differing leagues. I would choose that proven flexibility allied to that constant challenging mindset. 

If rumours are to be believed, (although denied by their chief exec) but the Juventus hierarchy want him out the door. Too much money, he was bought to win the champions league and they've done worse with him in. They were dominant domestically already yet this year, they're off the pace in comparison to previous years. Obviously it's not his fault but it was a massive transfer fee and I imagine his wages are stratospheric in comparison to the other players. They'll want to recoup some cash with this pandemic too. 

But how much would he go for and who would put out all that cash? 

19 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Messi over Ronaldo for me all day.

In regard to Messi’s stats - they are obviously amazing but in Spain there are 3/4 decent teams. The rest are way below. Would love to have seen Messi at his peak in the PL

Every top league in Europe only has 3-4 teams that dominate on a regular basis. 

For me the fact ( up until the last few years) Spanish teams have dominated the european competitions, just proves that Messi has done it consistently against the best.

La Liga is going through a slight downturn atm, but the quality of the football is still a pleasure to watch.

20 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Which is it?

You pick Messi and then tell the other captain that the new kid who’s just joined school today is amazing and persuade him to pick David Batty, and you’re then left with Ronaldo too. 

I personally think Messi is the better player but their are limitations to his game caused by his height. Ronaldo is the perfect athlete and undeniably one of the greatest of all time but I think in the future, Messi will be remembered more vividly than Ronaldo. Some of the individual goals Messi has scored over his career have been outrageous. Obviously Ronaldo has scored some fantastic goals too but in terms of natural talent, I think Messi is way ahead.

6 hours ago, Three Lions said:

Messi stayed at one huge club in a uncompetitive league.

Ronaldo with slowing legs still getting 20+ goals in Italys defensive league. Proved himself everywhere in different cultures and football.

Uncompetitive? This is a league that recently dominated Europe for years. Barca, the two Madrid’ teams Seville, Valencia, Espanyol and Bilbao, have all been in European cup finals in the last 15 years. Some on a regular basis. You obviously don’t watch La Liga! 

As for Messi not leaving Barcelona, why uproot your wife and children when you are playing for ( possibly) the biggest club in the World, in a great city with a great climate. He has nothing to prove. 

Archived