IGNORED

the Norman Wisdom connection with Blackburn Rovers

10 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

what is it?

Oooh oooh

Its one of 2 things:

1) Norman Wisdom is really Alan Shearer

or

2) They have found an old NW film and Blackburn are lending a film society a projector so they can watch it.

Personally I think its No 1.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Was he fated everywhere he went because his were the only films that Blackburn With Darwen Council would allow to be played?

Oops, getting them mixed up with Albania. :)

I was in Albania watching England play when he did a lap around the pitch.

As I think Blackburn will be in the same division as us next season,I'll hopefully bump this one back to the top when we play them away,hoping ?

Away fans sit in the Darwen end of the ground,

Darwen the last large town coming from the South before we get to Blackburn Rover ground

The railway line pass's behind the ground,strange their use to be a railway station for the ground but not any more

Darwen was used as a film location for "their was a crooked man" film with Norman and Susanah York(ask your grand parents)

The film was never released until TWENTY SEVEN TEEN on DVD     57 years later

Although their was a perfect copy on you tube in Russian.

Rumour circulates that the USA asked for the film not to released because the release date was around the time of the big of pigs situation

As the USA thought it would a great propaganda for the Russians to show an American soldier blowing up a British Town

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

Albania v England I have got the match on DVD,Normans picture was also at Brightons ground in the away end.

Not sure why, unless it was to do with one of his films that showed him on a train heading for Brighton.

Norman Wisdom did not have many films with train/stations in them.

I don't know of the Blackburn connection but I feel sure I read somewhere that he was on the board of Brighton.

As alluded to by NTTDS Norman Wisdom was big in Albania and not a lot of people can say that, In 2001,  with the England team playing Albania in Tirana, Wisdom's appearance at the training ground overshadowed that of David Beckham.

He appeared on the pitch before the start of the Albania v England match wearing a half-Albanian and half-English football shirt.

He was well received by the crowd, especially when he performed one of his trademark trips on his way out to the centre circle. In 1995 Wisdom was made an honorary citizen of Tirana.

(Not a fan myself but one does what one can to inform and educate the great and the good of OTIB  during a slow news week)

image.jpeg.ebfc032375e3f6160ed4f479d935f757.jpeg

On 26/03/2021 at 08:18, Abraham Romanovich said:

As alluded to by NTTDS Norman Wisdom was big in Albania and not a lot of people can say that, In 2001,  with the England team playing Albania in Tirana, Wisdom's appearance at the training ground overshadowed that of David Beckham.

He appeared on the pitch before the start of the Albania v England match wearing a half-Albanian and half-English football shirt.

He was well received by the crowd, especially when he performed one of his trademark trips on his way out to the centre circle. In 1995 Wisdom was made an honorary citizen of Tirana.

(Not a fan myself but one does what one can to inform and educate the great and the good of OTIB  during a slow news week)

image.jpeg.ebfc032375e3f6160ed4f479d935f757.jpeg

He was big in Albania because his films were the only non communist films allowed to shown at the time.

1 hour ago, reddoh said:

He was big in Albania because his films were the only non communist films allowed to shown at the time.

True - they were the only western films allowed under Enver Hoxha. It was mainly to do with them normally showing the victory of the little man over the capitalist boss who was exploiting him.

2 hours ago, reddoh said:

I have a book Map Addict by Mike Parker and in one chapter he describes his travel in the former Soviet bloc countries. The most feared border crossing his group expected to encounter was from Montenegro into what was called Europe's last Stalinist state, Albania. Their taxi beat a hasty retreat after dropping them off at the border checkpoint and they warily approached the border hut. A short surly looking guard emerged and gave them a beady looking over and their hearts sank a little. On taking their passports and seeing  United Kingdom and Great Britain and Northern Ireland on the cover he broke into a huge smile and exclaimed " ah Anglia, Meester Bean, Norman Wisdom, Tony Blair. The author commented "fancy coming from a country known only for these three clowns". He did a poor Wisdom impression which had the guard in fits of laughter who then called his mate who was even more amused. They went on their way and apparently had more laughs in Albania than in any other of the Balkan states.

Follow a Star: Sir Norman Wisdom

“If it ever got to me, all I’d have to do is think back to the days when I was an errand boy at Lipton’s riding around on my bike, and that would put me straight. I know what a lucky little devil I’ve been.”

Sir Norman Wisdom, My Turn: An Autobiography, 2002

We’re celebrating the comedy career of the late, great Sir Norman Wisdom with our latest exhibition, Follow A Star – Sir Norman Wisdom. The exhibition has been created by Sir Norman’s son, Nick Wisdom, and this is the first time it has been shown on the island.

Norman’s 1977 summer season at the Gaiety Theatre was the catalyst for a 30 year love affair with the Isle of Man. The tranquility and sweeping countryside convinced him that he wanted to spend the rest of his life on this picturesque island.

Norman was a great ambassador for the island and was a constant attraction at opening events whether in Douglas town centre or at a school sports day.

His legacy lives on at Sir Norman’s Bar on Douglas sea front. Outside the bar, there is a bronze statue of Sir Norman where fans pose for a customary photograph and remember ’the island’s most famous resident’.

-

Lifted the above from the Isle of Man imuseum. We moved over here (Isle of Man) back in 1997 and would occasionally see Sir Norman out and about, and the residents here are really proud that he chose to live here. By the way, it's dead cheap to fly here from Bristol at about £60.0 return and is fantastic place for a holiday. You go back 50 years in time, have good old pubs,breathtaking scenery,a gentile pace of life and almost zero crime. We love it and moving here was the best thing we've ever done. No wonder Sir Norman stayed.

Archived