IGNORED

Blackburn (A) - Weds 17th March 19:45 - Matchday Thread

"Stick your neck out" predictions  

210 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Good point on the road. Feel like this is one of those games that under Holden or LJ we would have lost - grinding out results is part and parcel of succeeding in the Championship so feel this is Pearson making an impact already. Not to mention a clean sheet for Max and our still frankly makeshift defence (no Mawson, Sess playing LB). No easy matches at this level. Happy with that.

Not the performance of Birmingham but solid nonetheless with O'leary hardly troubled. Mariappa and Vyner forming a good defensive partnership. Could of made more of our opportunities but it wasn't to be tonight. Massengo Mom for me, the lad seems to be everywhere. I lost count of how many times he managed to get goal side to put out potential fires. 

Defensively okay, shape was good but just the odd occasion where Kalas gets caught with a cross in the box. Need to tidy up that.

Offensively though, really poor. So sloppy in possession, Hunt and Lansbury especially...

I can’t wait to ship out Fam and Wells either. 

Just now, Northern Red said:

We'd have lost that a few weeks ago and it would have been even less entertaining.

... and we'd have had no shots or corners.

1 minute ago, dREDful said:

Can we give someone else a go at right back? Like a steward or summat. 

I’ll get my old boots and the dubbin pot out then!

12 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Too young to remember Terry Bush, I imagine!

Don't think that is fair. 45 goals in 162 league matches, many of which were in wing half, including 16 goals in 37 games in 64/5 promotion season. Possessed one of the hardest shots in football to boot (sorry about the pun). Once saw him hit the bar from 40 yards and keeper hadn't  moved.

Just now, marcofisher said:

Hope we give Mariappa another year 

Now we’re playing him in his proper position I’d agree that he is worth holding on to. You never hear the name of good centre halves in commentary, they just get on and do. Although can get caught sleeping sometimes, the QPR goal being the prime example.

9 minutes ago, M.D said:

Also, Max is a championship goalkeeper, he looks very good..

Mmm, thought he dealt with the easy stuff well. When under pressure looked uncomfortable. Worse distribution than I've seen from him today.

I'm not sure what the very good was today? He didn't get to show his main shot stopping skill, and wasn't really put under pressure enough.

2 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Hope we give Mariappa another year 

Yeah, funny how much he's changed since playing centre half, been a revelation since he's been moved to his natural position. You can see him talking, organising and barking out orders, ex premier quality.

10 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Best thing about that was the clean sheet. Slightly worried about how easily Holtby was running off Walsh a far bit & not tracking him. Kalas bollocked him a few times.

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah that was concerning. Things like that is why LJ wouldn't play him in a 2, as LJ used to say he can't do it.

Agreed 

At the start of the season I had a midfield 3 of Williams, Morrell & Walsh. With Walsh the more advanced one. 
He’s a talent on the ball but he is susceptible when deeper. 

First game I've watched since the Shambolic performance at Reading, my observations, defensively much better but must stop lumping it anywhere, still woeful up front (opposition centre halves must love playing against Fam) Didn't realise Lansbury was playing, plusses were Palmer who looked like the only player that might make something happen and Massenho was excellent and by far our best player, we're in desperate need of at the very least 2 new strikers in the summer 

8 minutes ago, Desso said:

I'm talking about tonight not in the past.

Well maybe closer...but I'd still give you

a) Bas does very little for 85 mins, has a run at goal, falls over his own feet

b) Fam does very little for 85 mins, has a run at goal and unleashes a powerful shot that the keeper tips onto the post.

Archived