IGNORED

Ayling for England?

where's the joy

Rumours are that he is line for a call up by Gareth Southgate. 

I always rated him and was very upset that the Cheltenham water works display signalled/coincided with his departure.

But hats off to Bielsa for making him a better player, and finding a captain inside him too.

As a selling club though we have to question the judgement around his value. Arguably he has performed even better than any of our exodus of multi million pound players to the premiership.

Who performs better than him now out of Webster, Bobby and Joe?

Still at least we have that wondrous season with him in our double winning team to remember 

Hope the rumours are true

There is no doubt he has improved (greatly in fact) but England?! I've seen him a fair bit lately and he offers a bit going forward but isn't the best defensively and Leeds have been dreadful defending set pieces etc. I'd be worried for England if he was playing put it that way! I'd have at least 4 or 5 ahead of him. Patrick Bamford probably worth a call up at the moment though.

I'd say Webster has been the most consistent and should be probably be closer to England but probably still not good enough despite a lack of CB's.

Blimey. Not knocking him of course but it just goes to show that sometimes you just don't really know a player.

He was very decent for us, but who would have really predicted that Ayling would/could play for England, Danny Rose would get nearly 30 caps, Bolasie would be a £25m player.... it's a funny old game. 

19 minutes ago, where's the joy said:

Rumours are that he is line for a call up by Gareth Southgate. 

I always rated him and was very upset that the Cheltenham water works display signalled/coincided with his departure.

But hats off to Bielsa for making him a better player, and finding a captain inside him too.

Who performs better than him now out of Webster, Bobby and Joe?

Rumour from where -  Social media?.............:cool2:

To me Webster is more likely to get an international call up. The guy a class CB and the best I’ve ever seen in a City shirt.

Ayling went to Leeds because he was offered a deal that City just couldn’t match. 

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

To me Webster is more likely to get an international call up. The guy a class CB and the best I’ve ever seen in a City shirt.

Ayling went to Leeds because he was offered a deal that City just couldn’t match. 

From local journos.

Ayling went to Leeds because City didn't want him. It was £200k. Peanuts. 

Don't think he's good enough for England. Think any of the Brighton CBs should be in contention, would imagine one will get themselves a big money move soon.

Brownhill should also be in contention, although is behind Henderson, Rice and Bellingham for a spot. Really looking forward to the Euros as there is no obvious "strongest" lineup so we're a very unpredictable side.

15 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

No way is Ayling good enough for England. 

Webster though definitely. And it's incredible he hasn't made a squad yet. Better than Mings imo.

Tyone Mings is a donkey, don't know how there's so much hype around him.

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/mar/16/jude-bellingham-told-he-cannot-travel-to-join-up-with-england-squad

In the Guardian

8 minutes ago, Selred said:

From local journos.

Ayling went to Leeds because City didn't want him. It was £200k. Peanuts. 

Local hacks? GcG no doubt...........:dunno:.

Ayling went to Leeds for bugger all because they offered him a contract and salary waaay beyond what City could match - according to LJ at the time.

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Gary Collier? 

Norman Hunter? 

16 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Best you've ever seen?  Come off it.  He was good for us, but he was no Glenn Humphries!

Just now, Steve Watts said:

Ayling being called up to play for England I would say says more about Englands chances at any major tournament coming up in the next 2 years than it does about his progression.

No disrespect to the lad but what is the point in having sleepless nights and worrying over who to pick out of Grealish, Maddison, Foden or Harvey Barnes if you have Luke Ayling behind them? Decent Premiership defender he is, international class he most certainly isn't in my view.

5 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

That's terrible, really gutted for Jude. For me should be pushing for a starting spot in this England, regular MOTM for Dortmund both domestically and in Europe. Was the best player on the pitch vs Sevilla after Haaland.

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Ayling went to Leeds for bugger all because they offered him a contract and salary waaay beyond what City could match - according to LJ at the time.

They could only offer a contract once we allowed them too. We agreed the fee as we wanted him gone, if we didn't we'd of got a lot higher fee.

3 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

No disrespect to Ayling himself but if that's the current standard of our national right back selection then we aren't winning anything for the foreseeable! 

Surely he wouldn't be in at right back, but CB in a back 5?

We have SO many great right backs in England, it's our best position.

1 minute ago, Selred said:

That's what it'll be about as much as anything else, Southgate seems to like 3 CBs and Ayling's position is on the right of the 3. We've got plenty of excellent RBs but, of all of them, I think only Walker has played as part of the back 3.

3 minutes ago, Selred said:

Exactly, can't see him being anywhere near the conversation.

Nor at CB with Maguire, Gomez, Stones, Coady, Dier, Mings, Keane, Tomori, Konza, Holgate, Webster, Tarkowski, Smalling, Holding all surely being ahead of him.

18 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Shipped out of City on the hurry up on Steve Lansdown's orders, I believe. 

Rumour then.

History is being rewritten 

I don’t recall all the ‘ ins and outs’ of the time but in the season following promotion to the Championship ‘ Bill ‘ wasn’t even a first team regular. 

I was very surprised that he went to such a big club and cannot blame the lad for wanting to join Leeds.

We probably had little power of negotiation when Bielsa came calling and got the deal done quickly for everybody’s sake. 

I haven’t seen him playing much at Leeds but I saw him , like Mark Little, as an athlete first and footballer second .

All credit to the lad for his career.

Archived