IGNORED

Ayling for England?

where's the joy

4 hours ago, KegCity said:

Really hope it's a 4-3-3 this summer. A back line of Pope, Shaw, Maguire, Stones and Walker is a solid enough defence to get us a decent way into the tournament. 

I just pray Southgate doesn't stick with 2 defensive midfielders. When everyone is fit, we have the best forward line in Europe - getting them playing in the same team should be the priority

If the answer is Luke Ayling for England at RB, then I dread to know what the question is.

Have always liked him as a player, and the Pee Gate incident was really unfortunate as he would probably have stayed for longer, and we did have problems in that area for a while after. Completely understand getting rid at the time though.

He's done tremendously well to become a regular in a Premiership team, but is still part of a defence that does concede it's fair share of goals - they've conceded more goals than Fulham. For me the offensive side of his game has always been better than the defensive side, and with that in mind there are better players ahead of him.

If he does get picked then fair play to him, but I would imagine it would be because we had an injury crisis in that position ahead of anything else.

Would I take him back here tomorrow? In a heartbeat. Good enough for England? No.

22 hours ago, Robbored said:

Local hacks? GcG no doubt...........:dunno:.

Ayling went to Leeds for bugger all because they offered him a contract and salary waaay beyond what City could match - according to LJ at the time.

And LJ didn’t rate him. Told him that he wouldn’t be the first choice RB and that his first team opportunities would be limited,

On 17/03/2021 at 10:21, where's the joy said:

Rumours are that he is line for a call up by Gareth Southgate. 

I always rated him and was very upset that the Cheltenham water works display signalled/coincided with his departure.

But hats off to Bielsa for making him a better player, and finding a captain inside him too.

As a selling club though we have to question the judgement around his value. Arguably he has performed even better than any of our exodus of multi million pound players to the premiership.

Who performs better than him now out of Webster, Bobby and Joe?

Still at least we have that wondrous season with him in our double winning team to remember 

Hope the rumours are true

Its Ayling. Its Cheltenham week. Its obviously taking the piss time.

On 17/03/2021 at 10:21, where's the joy said:

Rumours are that he is line for a call up by Gareth Southgate. 

I always rated him and was very upset that the Cheltenham water works display signalled/coincided with his departure.

But hats off to Bielsa for making him a better player, and finding a captain inside him too.

As a selling club though we have to question the judgement around his value. Arguably he has performed even better than any of our exodus of multi million pound players to the premiership.

Who performs better than him now out of Webster, Bobby and Joe?

Still at least we have that wondrous season with him in our double winning team to remember 

Hope the rumours are true

Surely too old? Mind you, would we have included a bonus clause in the deal with Leeds?

Just now, Coppello said:

This isn't a court of law though ?

Don't encourage him, the more people who ignore him the better, ideally something would be done about his constant obvious trolling and derailing of threads but seemingly not

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

Don't encourage him, the more people who ignore him the better, ideally something would be done about his constant obvious trolling and derailing of threads but seemingly not

So asking a perfectly reasonable question is trolling and derailing a thread?       :dunno:

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Hmmm......hearsay........wouldn’t stand up in a court of law.

Go and listen to OSIB - A cider with Alby....and draw your own conclusions.

Its not the only place it’s been mentioned either.

You could of course take comments from Luke Ayling himself....or is that hearsay because it’s not on the OS?  Or that it’s an interview with GMcG who you are keen to poo-poo at every opportunity.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/report-confirms-exact-transfer-fee-4242135

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Go and listen to OSIB - A cider with Alby....and draw your own conclusions.

Its not the only place it’s been mentioned either.

You could of course take comments from Luke Ayling himself....or is that hearsay because it’s not on the OS?  Or that it’s an interview with GMcG who you are keen to poo-poo at every opportunity.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/report-confirms-exact-transfer-fee-4242135

I don’t have much faith in sports journalism per se. Many of them aren’t at the games. The only exception would be the well respected Henry Winter.

Local hacks like GmG and Stockhausen before him have column inches to fill, usually to a deadline and consequently under pressure. That leads to poor quality reporting imo. I put very little credibility on what they write.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I don’t have much faith in sports journalism per se. Many of them aren’t at the games. The only exception would be the well respected Henry Winter.

Local hacks like GmG and Stockhausen before him have column inches to fill, usually to a deadline and consequently under pressure. That leads to poor quality reporting imo. I put very little credibility on what they write.

Even when they’re directly quoting a player / manager?

You need to apply different logic to the article type and source.  You are taking a blanket approach to the reporter, which is reflected in your inability to judge fact or fiction.

An article like this is very different to “City and QPR are scouting McPake from Rangers”

55 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Even when they’re directly quoting a player / manager?

You need to apply different logic to the article type and source.  You are taking a blanket approach to the reporter, which is reflected in your inability to judge fact or fiction.

An article like this is very different to “City and QPR are scouting McPake from Rangers”

I have nothing personal against GmG. I’ve met him and he’s a decent and likeable guy - it’s my cynicism of sports journalism per se based on decades of reading sensationalist articles in various national papers that’s transferred to local press. Stockhausen did nothing to allay my cynicism and (so far) GmG has nothing to change my view.

Archived