IGNORED

Ayling for England?

where's the joy

RB is England's best position on paper. Offensively - TAA, Walker, Trippier and even Lamptey (though he is injured) and defensively you can't look past Aaron Wan-Biassaka. If he's in he's done very well, and it'd be a nice treat seeing one of our double winners playing for England.

14 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Rumour then.

History is being rewritten 

I don’t recall all the ‘ ins and outs’ of the time but in the season following promotion to the Championship ‘ Bill ‘ wasn’t even a first team regular. 

I was very surprised that he went to such a big club and cannot blame the lad for wanting to join Leeds.

We probably had little power of negotiation when Bielsa came calling and got the deal done quickly for everybody’s sake. 

I haven’t seen him playing much at Leeds but I saw him , like Mark Little, as an athlete first and footballer second .

All credit to the lad for his career.

I think you're rewriting history Major, 33 games in the Championship for us in the first season, and he joined Leeds under Monk.

1 hour ago, Selred said:

From local journos.

Ayling went to Leeds because City didn't want him. It was £200k. Peanuts. 

I obviously don’t know the ins and outs here but I have always been really cynical about this quoted “fee”.

I know the rumour is that SL wanted him out after the Cheltenham business but it was reported we got double this amount from Blackburn around then for Derrick Williams, who was far less of a regular than Ayling at the time we sold him, plus it was to Leeds, not some poxy L1 club.

Not hard to find a reason to dislike Leeds fans more & I know say £750k wouldn’t make it that much better in light of the career he has had, but I really struggle to believe this story they regularly trot out.

8 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

RB is England's best position on paper. Offensively - TAA, Walker, Trippier and even Lamptey (though he is injured) and defensively you can't look past Aaron Wan-Biassaka. If he's in he's done very well, and it'd be a nice treat seeing one of our double winners playing for England.

Walker is one of the best full backs in world football at the minute, very underrated player. Trent struggles to get in the side at the moment, been a poor season for him and he never seems to turn up for England anyway.

I can see where Ayling fits in to this squad, just think there's other players with far more quality that should be ahead of him.

15 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

I'd go Max Aarons first as well

35 minutes ago, Selred said:

Surely he wouldn't be in at right back, but CB in a back 5?

We have SO many great right backs in England, it's our best position.

The Kyle Walker role under Southgate, RB who plays outside CB

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I obviously don’t know the ins and outs here but I have always been really cynical about this quoted “fee”.

I know the rumour is that SL wanted him out after the Cheltenham business but it was reported we got double this amount from Blackburn around then for Derrick Williams, who was far less of a regular than Ayling at the time we sold him, plus it was to Leeds, not some poxy L1 club.

Not hard to find a reason to dislike Leeds fans more & I know say £750k wouldn’t make it that much better in light of the career he has had, but I really struggle to believe this story they regularly trot out.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/report-confirms-exact-transfer-fee-4242135

Ayling nowhere near international standard in my opinion.  Useful player going forward but not  strong enough defensively ( much like the Leeds team).

Best defender for City for me is Caulker and he was capped although then went off the rails.  Webster similar style was also good.  

1 hour ago, steveybadger said:

It’s probably the most competitive area of the England squad, so if true he’s done well to get in.

Really I think it's one of our weakest areas at CB. Stones has been great this season but before that couldn't get a game. Maguire will always get in the team at the moment. After that we have a load of average CB and a few promising young lads coming through. 

Ayling is a very decent player. I preferred him on the right of a defensive three than in a back four but his versatility really suits the flexibility Leeds play with and he has gone to far greater heights than I imagined.

At the same time, I think this call-up is to do with injuries and a desire to try out options as much as anything. I'd be amazed if he made a final tournament 23 for England.

For those mentioning Adam Webster, he is out injured at the moment. There is a blog piece here linking his injury with Brighton's collapse in form:

http://www.wearebrighton.com/newsopinion/through-injury-brighton-now-know-just-how-good-adam-webster-is/

21 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Ayling is a very decent player. I preferred him on the right of a defensive three than in a back four but his versatility really suits the flexibility Leeds play with and he has gone to far greater heights than I imagined.

At the same time, I think this call-up is to do with injuries and a desire to try out options as much as anything. I'd be amazed if he made a final tournament 23 for England.

For those mentioning Adam Webster, he is out injured at the moment. There is a blog piece here linking his injury with Brighton's collapse in form:

http://www.wearebrighton.com/newsopinion/through-injury-brighton-now-know-just-how-good-adam-webster-is/

Brightons win in their last game where the first points they picked up since his injury

Everyone on this thread going on about how poor he has been defensively this season miss some VERY important points.

1) We have NEVER at ANY point this season had our preferred CB partnership, recently it’s a 20 year old straight from the academy with more PL appearances than Championship ones, he has admitted that he has TOLD the young CB that and I quote “if you are ever in trouble give it to me and I will deal with it” because HE would rather player the dodgy ball / make a mistake than let a 20 year old take the brunt of criticism.

2) Ayling at times has had to cover at CB because we’ve had 3 of our 4 injured at once, VERY often he was the best Leeds player on the pitch.

3) He’s still very much learning at this level, what we miss when he isn’t at right back is astounding!

4) You forget he isn’t asked to defend in a “usual” manner in our side so with our defensive frailties due to injuries he is covering others as well as lung busting runs in attack.

I guarantee you next season when we have Llorente and Koch fit, playing together at the back that Ayling will “appear” even better to those that don’t watch him often, the ones that do watch him often think he’s been a revelation.

6 months ago on the WACCOE forum I said he’d get called up, I would be absolutely over the moon for him, the nicest bloke you could ever wish to meet, does so much TV work even though at times he does still struggle with his speech, a courageous character and leader on and off the pitch that I am proud to call our Right Back.

One of my favourite Leeds players of all time (I’m 36).

15 minutes ago, SPAZZA said:

Everyone on this thread going on about how poor he has been defensively this season miss some VERY important points.

1) We have NEVER at ANY point this season had our preferred CB partnership, recently it’s a 20 year old straight from the academy with more PL appearances than Championship ones, he has admitted that he has TOLD the young CB that and I quote “if you are ever in trouble give it to me and I will deal with it” because HE would rather player the dodgy ball / make a mistake than let a 20 year old take the brunt of criticism.

2) Ayling at times has had to cover at CB because we’ve had 3 of our 4 injured at once, VERY often he was the best Leeds player on the pitch.

3) He’s still very much learning at this level, what we miss when he isn’t at right back is astounding!

4) You forget he isn’t asked to defend in a “usual” manner in our side so with our defensive frailties due to injuries he is covering others as well as lung busting runs in attack.

I guarantee you next season when we have Llorente and Koch fit, playing together at the back that Ayling will “appear” even better to those that don’t watch him often, the ones that do watch him often think he’s been a revelation.

6 months ago on the WACCOE forum I said he’d get called up, I would be absolutely over the moon for him, the nicest bloke you could ever wish to meet, does so much TV work even though at times he does still struggle with his speech, a courageous character and leader on and off the pitch that I am proud to call our Right Back.

Leeds' tactics aside, I think it's more that there are plenty better players than Ayling available. He's playing ok for a mid table side, Brighton's centre backs play well for a poor side, for example. Your case for Ayling seems to be along the lines of "he could be even better if it weren't for all these excuses", I don't doubt Ayling suits Leeds and is having a good season, just there's plenty other centre backs now finding form that get in ahead of him.

20 minutes ago, SPAZZA said:

To buck the trend, I thought he was a fine defender here....but if your team system demands that you have to be an attacking option as the RCB in a three, then you’ll lose the true perspective of how good a defender he is, because you’ll wrongly (imho) focus on goals conceded because he was out of position.  That’s a tactical deficiency more than an individual player weakness.

The amount of times he bailed Flint out by covering runners Flint failed to track was quite a lot.  And I’ve seen few better defending their back post aerially than Luke.

4 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Leeds' tactics aside, I think it's more that there are plenty better players than Ayling available. He's playing ok for a mid table side, Brighton's centre backs play well for a poor side, for example. Your case for Ayling seems to be along the lines of "he could be even better if it weren't for all these excuses", I don't doubt Ayling suits Leeds and is having a good season, just there's plenty other centre backs now finding form that get in ahead of him.

The acid test would be put Ayling in Brighton’s back 4 in their system, and vice versa, put Brighton’s CBs in Leeds back 4 in their system.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The acid test would be put Ayling in Brighton’s back 4 in their system, and vice versa, put Brighton’s CBs in Leeds back 4 in their system.

Yep two different systems, Ben White looked excellent for Leeds last season (albeit in the championship) and has had a good season so far and I would expect Ayling to be able to play as a wing-back, although be less dynamic than Lamptey, or play as a RCB. It's personal preference to an extent, we're discussing players who probably won't be starting for England in tournaments.

2 hours ago, Littlesh*t said:

Really I think it's one of our weakest areas at CB. Stones has been great this season but before that couldn't get a game. Maguire will always get in the team at the moment. After that we have a load of average CB and a few promising young lads coming through. 

I agree re CBs but I was classifying him as a RB

2 hours ago, Selred said:

I think you're rewriting history Major, 33 games in the Championship for us in the first season, and he joined Leeds under Monk.

Thank you. 
Who could resist Monk ?

Lists on plain paper please.

Leeds are a big pull for any footballer regardless of their coach or league standing. 

As I said I don’t recall the details but I am sure that he wasn’t considered a first choice starter when we went up, perhaps I am imagining it or can someone back me up.

Bill created havoc when he advanced with the ball because nobody , teammates or opponents, knew what he was going to do. 

There’s surely zero chance of this. Trippier, Trent, Walker and James will all be ahead of him, whether rightly or wrongly. I don’t take anything away from him, he’s been great this season. But he’s 30, inexperienced at the level and has 4 players guaranteed to be ahead of him, what’d be the point? Especially as, when fit, age supports the case for Lamptey and Justin to be ahead of him

3 minutes ago, Ostrich said:

There’s surely zero chance of this. Trippier, Trent, Walker and James will all be ahead of him, whether rightly or wrongly. I don’t take anything away from him, he’s been great this season. But he’s 30, inexperienced at the level and has 4 players guaranteed to be ahead of him, what’d be the point? Especially as, when fit, age supports the case for Lamptey and Justin to be ahead of him

I think he would be in line to play right of a centre back 3 rather than right back.

3 hours ago, Littlesh*t said:

Really hope it's a 4-3-3 this summer. A back line of Pope, Shaw, Maguire, Stones and Walker is a solid enough defence to get us a decent way into the tournament. 

6 hours ago, Nongazeuse said:

Ayling nowhere near international standard in my opinion.  Useful player going forward but not  strong enough defensively ( much like the Leeds team).

Best defender for City for me is Caulker and he was capped although then went off the rails.  Webster similar style was also good.  

International standard - COD is an international, Joe Morrell that's struggling to get into Luton team is international standard.

7 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

No disrespect to the lad but what is the point in having sleepless nights and worrying over who to pick out of Grealish, Maddison, Foden or Harvey Barnes if you have Luke Ayling behind them? Decent Premiership defender he is, international class he most certainly isn't in my view.

Well, with respect, many would have said he'd never be a decent Premier League defender. You only find out by trying?

A very classy player who we let go far too easily. I always thought he was better going forward (he was superb at carrying the ball) than defending, but that’s not to say his defending was weak - maybe just a lack of pace that could be exposed against fast wingers. I thought that the times he was caught out of position was mainly due to being given licence to get forward (Cotts employed gung-ho tactics at times, which is why that team was a pleasure to watch). 

I’d love it if he got in the England team. 

Archived