IGNORED

Ayling for England?

where's the joy

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I have nothing personal against GmG. I’ve met him and he’s a decent and likeable guy - it’s my cynicism of sports journalism per se based on decades of reading sensationalist articles in various national papers that’s transferred to local press. Stockhausen did nothing to allay my cynicism and (so far) GmG has nothing to change my view.

I do look at some of his headlines...I mean click bait lines..and think darn got me again. 

Todays is “Pearson gives update on Bentley”...actually all he said was they’ll see how he is on Friday.

57 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't know why people keep saying he was sold because his mates pissed in a glass. 

LJ came in and was playing Little and we were doing quite well. LJ then brought in Matthews on loan, who was very impressive. And LJ brought in Matthews again the next season.

So it was probably sell Ayling or Little with Matthews coming in the summer for a season loan.

Leeds wanted Ayling and he only had a year left on his contract. So we sold him cheap. 

What we will never know is whether there was pressure on LJ to move him on.

Whatever it was, whether like me who thought it was a bad decision at the time, or whether you were okay with it...when you look back in hindsight and pure footballing and financial reasons....it was a bad decision.

The fact that we are sat here almost 3.5 years later and have not improved RB says a lot doesn’t it?

15 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think Bielsa helped improve him loads. I just don't think LJ rated him that highly.

I don't think Ayling played right back much for us. Only the odd game under Pemberton and then LJ.

I thought he was a good CB too....plus had played DM for Yeovil..

Makes we wonder why LJ didn’t rate him....perhaps not a great judge of a player (not necessarily saying he’s a bad judge, just not a good one).

15 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I dunno I thought LJ did get a lot right too. Some wrong though of course.

I wonder would Ayling have become this player had it not been for Bielsa. Whenever I saw Leeds in the championship under Bielsa they would constantly attack down the right, a lot more than the left.

He kind of seemed like a Trent playmaker role for them. I doubt he'd be in such a set up under LJ for us. 

But we knew of his ability in controlling the ball and linking with others. A high possession side really benefitted him. But he also improved a lot defensively since leaving us.

Under Monk I thought he looked dodgy on goals I'd see on TV. But it seems like he's improved a lot since then.

I actually thought he was dodgy at centre back for us in the championship. Baker and Flint as a pair really helped save our season going to a flat back 4.

As a right back I remember one really good motm performance at home by Ayling. But I did prefer Matthews on that first loan. I actually thought Matthews looked superb. Was so excited by him returning next season. Obviously that was a disaster in the end.

As I’ve said before, I think a lot of people’s views on his defensive abilities are skewed because of his dynamic / reckless (you decide) runs forward.  He was a fine defender....bailed Flint out so many times.

That season I was sat in the front row of the new South Stand, midway from goal to corner of the Dolman.  I spent a lot of the game just watching Ayling as he was in my quarter, watching his positioning, his anticipation, his covering, his aerial defending of the back post, etc.  

I can see why Leeds wanted him.  To me it was obvious he’d been well coached at Arsenal in his formative years.

Agree, back 4 with Baker (the junior in years) guiding Flint through (who looked lost at times) was very much needed....but I don’t think that is a reason to think Ayling wasn’t a fine defender.

Archived