IGNORED

Famara Diedhiou

TomThumb84

Ok, so, I have always liked him, but in this strangest of seasons, I am beginning to be irked by this situation.

I appreciate that contract discussions are now not for public consumption as per NP’s crystal clear statement in Tuesdays press conference, however:-

Fam started the season as second choice to Chris Martin in that No.9 position, before playing himself back in to the side with some very good performances. Still no contract signed.

We then had the farcical and embarrassing situation of Gary Weaver of Sky Television revealing more than we had ever known before during the first half of the Norwich game after a “coffee chat” with Mark Ashton, when we learnt that we were happy to run his contract down, he would not be sold, and we would “get his value from him on the pitch”. Still no contract signed.

Since then he has been undroppable and has played virtually every minute, albeit with some good moments, but also some very indifferent ones. As we prepare for next season, I am concerned that we are persisting with someone who will not be here next season to the detriment of players who will be. I am also surprised that NP is not thinking about this too. Still no contract signed.

Am I reading too much into it? Or could it be that we are confident of him signing, or giving him enough game time to convince him to sign under NP? Or as stated in that bizarre Norwich episode, we will play him come what may until he disappears off into the sunset?

Thoughts welcomed as I am perplexed!!

1 minute ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

We don't have anyone else I think is the short answer. 

Wells? Played up top on his own and showed enough form and goals for us to part with £5m quid for him.

Semenyo/Watkins/O’Dowda down the sides and Palmer in behind.

Makes sense does it not?

2 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Wells? Played up top on his own and showed enough form and goals for us to part with £5m quid for him.

Semenyo/Watkins/O’Dowda down the sides and Palmer in behind.

Makes sense does it not?

Think he means we don't have a like for like replacement NO.9. Martin would be the man but he cant play two games week in week out. 

Our record signing leaving on a free is embarrassing for the club.

The fact he appears to have partially downed tools is embarrassing for both us, but also him as a professional.

I've been a big fan, but at this point he's really starting to annoy me. From now on I'd be playing what we know will be here next season - and that isn't Fam. Get Wells and Semenyo up top - either together, or Wells central with Semenyo on the side from now on.

1 minute ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Think he means we don't have a like for like replacement NO.9 Martin would be the man but he cant play two games week in week out. 

Appreciate that but not sure we need a “No.9” target man type so maybe do not need a like-for-like.

NP has always liked to play with one up top, a target man, we only have one and thats Fam unfortunately, you can see this in taking Wells off tonight and not giving him the chance in the central roll.

5 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Sorry dude you lost me at Watkins 

I’m not a great fan of Watkins but he ran farther and faster than Fam, in the 5-10 minutes on the pitch against Birmingham, than Fam did in the entire match. 

Be very interesting to see what the team selections are when we are mathematically safe.

At present (& I am a big fan of Diedhiou) I think NP is picking him for team balance but he hasn’t been great for a while now & as there appears minimal likelihood he will be here next season it becomes less sensible to play him then.

Watkins certainly attracts a lot of criticism but occupies defenders & closes them down in a way Famara does not.

I'd like us to assess what we have for next season. So at least trying Wells up front with Palmer in behind is a must at some point.

I know the club until mathematically safe should play what it thinks is the best team to get points of course.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Was a poor performance, but what a strike to nearly win it.

I don't really think the players wide and in behind had the best of games when we had the ball, which never helps.

Maybe Pearson does not like Wells in lone striker role with Palmer in behind. 

Interesting to see with what he goes with on Saturday.

I may be wrong but got an inkling NP took a point there on a night when it was not quite happening and withdrew Wells and Palmer with Saturday in mind.

Sneaky feeling we could see a change in our personnel on Saturday.

Just now, Dodgy_Giefer said:

Fam’s “performances” have been criminal for a too long. It’s insulting to be honest. Look at Massengo and Palmer tonight with their pressing. He doesn’t deserve the shirt.

Agreed. He'll play well for a couple of months a season then go back to being someone who doesn't press and the ball just bouncing off him. 

2 minutes ago, Magger1 said:

Look he’s going get used to it his family have already gone home that tells you something, we’ve had better and we’ll get better so let’s start playing youngsters up there and give em some experience 

It is obvious he is going and has been for some time, I agree. So why are we still playing him?!

We do have other options.

Should have sold him when we established he was not committed, rather than that pie-in-the-sky word-play we got relayed during the Norwich game.

We needed him to press and be a bit more dynamic. Which, sadly, isn't a part of his game. This was painfully evident tonight as they were able to move the ball out of defence with relative ease. I am not sure NP will like that as he has stated that defending starts with the forward players.

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I’m not a great fan of Watkins but he ran farther and faster than Fam, in the 5-10 minutes on the pitch against Birmingham, than Fam did in the entire match. 

We had johnson's busy bees for 4 seasons and to be honest I'm sick of it. Watkins has very little quality apart from the ability to run around a bit, CoD is the same, his delivery tonight was shocking on several occasions. 

Famara may have moved 2 meters in the whole game but he came the closest to scoring tonight, he's our most dangerous player. 

I'm of the opinion we are a very boring mid table championship team and these are the sort of players we need to be moving away from if we want to be successful. 

3 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

Appreciate that but not sure we need a “No.9” target man type so maybe do not need a like-for-like.

I really hope we don’t try to sign “the same type”.  Pearson has said he likes power and pace.  Fam might be a big bloke but he doesn’t really provide either.

The infatuation with needing a target man if you play 4231 bugs me.  I’ve seen plenty of sides play 4231 with a smaller, more nimble guy up top....jeez that’s what Wells was most of the time at QPR.  That’s what Maguire is at Preston.  That’s what Pukki is at Norwich.  Movement is key.  

2 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

I may be wrong but got an inkling NP took a point there on a night when it was not quite happening and withdrew Wells and Palmer with Saturday in mind.

Sneaky feeling we could see a change in our personnel on Saturday.

That’s how I saw it.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

The thing is we could well have won it at the end. But yeah possibly. 

Palmer in behind Wells. I think the only worry would then be defending set pieces. Maybe a bit of a bigger side to compensate for that.

Play Vyner, get him to attack the near post area.  Chris Martin at 5’10” did a more than adequate Fam impression earlier this season.

I get it’s Rotherham on Saturday, but I honestly woukd never select a striker because of defending set pieces.  Coach your players better, drill your defensive set pieces.

NP has probably realised that Fam only plays 1 good game in about 5. Most people seem to love him cus he's a likable guy but he has let the club down by not signing a new contract. I know its his decision he has probably been told by his agents he can earn 10 times more elsewhere but that doesn't help us and i wouldn't be playing him he just doesnt look interested half the time.

23 minutes ago, westonred said:

NP has probably realised that Fam only plays 1 good game in about 5. Most people seem to love him cus he's a likable guy but he has let the club down by not signing a new contract. I know its his decision he has probably been told by his agents he can earn 10 times more elsewhere but that doesn't help us and i wouldn't be playing him he just doesnt look interested half the time.

10 times more ? he would not be earning 150k elsewhere 

Archived