IGNORED

Famara Diedhiou

TomThumb84

Got beat up by a creaking 35 year old today.

The albeit brief Wells down the middle with Semenyo and O’Dowda set-up I would like produced our first shot on target after about 4 minutes of the change. Got really fractured after that.

Maybe the last we see of Fam today. That was pretty painful. I wish him all the best. Not his fault we have massively got this wrong by not either tying him down and getting him motivated, or selling him.

Worst of all scenarios for all concerned, and a shame.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Decent enough first half, but poor 2nd when in that amazing Diedhiou - Wells partnership in a 442 (sarcasm) 

Totally agree first sentence.  Second half we didn’t go 442, that was Tinman second guessing from the positions they took up at start of second half.  The only real change was KP dropping in deeper, which did enable him to get on the ball a couple of times early on and roll his man.  So more 451 if anything....not that it matters though.

Second half Fam was poor, thought he should’ve earned about 3 free-kicks though, as they went through the back of him.

Just now, Davefevs said:

Totally agree first sentence.  Second half we didn’t go 442, that was Tinman second guessing from the positions they took up at start of second half.  The only real change was KP dropping in deeper, which did enable him to get on the ball a couple of times early on and roll his man.  So more 451 if anything....not that it matters though.

Second half Fam was poor, thought he should’ve earned about 3 free-kicks though, as they went through the back of him.

I think the problem was he'd spent most of the 1st half looking for them to the point where the ref was having nothing of it. Spent more time on his arse than looking threatening in this game.

52 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

He’s absolutely dire and his body language says he’s gone. 
NP needs to leave him out and give the likes of Britton and Bell a chance as the season closes in. 
Nothing to lose 

Exactly, with interest in Britton, a shot in the first team might persuade him to sign a new deal

9 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

From the little I saw of him on video, I genuinely thought that was what we were getting - Kodjia mkII, albeit not as rapid.

Then, when he's here, he's played as some sort of "target man."

To me, he's a fish  out of water being asked to play with his back to goal.

I've heard that's how he was used in France, but I don't believe he's been told to play the way he's been doing  for us by 3 different managers.

Before his injury Benik Afobe played exactly I'd like my striker to play.  On the shoulder, finding spaces, with a telepathic connection with Kasey.  And you really believed he would score when bearing down on the keeper.  Benik wasn't told to continually drop deep to receive the ball or restrict to his role to being a target man, so why do some fans believe Fam has?

I just don't think he's very good.  Sam Bell showed more guile and ability to find space than we've seen from Fam most of the season. 

20 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Letting a record signing leave like this feels a bit embarrassing, anyone else think so? 

Not really, players rule the roost these days, the club could have tried to sell him but the player refuses, and in a Covid market an agent could easily come to a pre-contract agreement with a chunky signing on fee. If we were challenging for something then he might of hung around, but why stay when you could go to Turkey, China (perhaps not so much now) or another country with an attractive tax regime when you only have a couple more big contracts in you.

If Kalas is out for any period of time, we could play him at centre-half.

There appears to be a fashionable train of thought (Tinman included), that our record signing centre-forward, who is determined to leave us on a free, is worth a place in the side for the - and I quote - “10 goals that he heads away from defensive set-pieces every season”. The ones that may or may not have gone in, or, and heres a radical idea, the ones that we get our defenders to head away.

15 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

Got beat up by a creaking 35 year old today.

Your appraisal here is hardly indicating skilled for another role. 

14 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

If Kalas is out for any period of time, we could play him at centre-half.

Or not play the player concentrating on players who want to be at BCFC and are demonstrating that desire. 

23 minutes ago, Wolf Island said:

After missing out on Watkins and Toney in recent seasons I am just hoping NP can sort us a Vardy. 

Dieudhiou on balance provided value for money just about but our recent track record in buying strikers has been dire. 

I'd like to see Louis Britton given a chance. Scoring goals for fun in U23s . I thought he could have done a job for us yesterday.

35 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

This is one big area where we have a big imbalance in our possible team selections.

It's hard to pick a team that we look at and think, yep we will be okay at defending set pieces.

Pearson said post match that you don't pick a striker just to defend set pieces. That's just a bonus. I've said that numerous times when people have said about Fam being so good at defending set pieces. It should be completely irrelevant in him being in the team.

But the problem is we look a bit dodgy at defending them even with him on the pitch. Without him we look ridiculously bad at defending them. 

Massengo and others you don't want on huge Rotherham players, and Bentley who is looking really vulnerable with balls into the box recently so not taking the pressure off those marking.

Another thing is a lot of our most promising young players coming through are short and going to not be physically developed enough or used to defend set pieces well at this level.

So having a pathway for these quality young players to come into our team is great. Some real top young talent. But it's just like signing even more busy little players!

I'm hoping almost all signings in the summer bring the physicality needed that we are missing. Meaning we can pick numerous different teams and each one looks on paper capable of dealing with balls into our box.

It's okay having a bit of a height and physical disadvantage, like Leeds did under Bielsa over two great seasons at this level. We can have an advantage in other areas like speed, technical ability, work rate etc. 

But we have to be much much better in that area of our game. We are too vulnerable.

Stupid thing is that if Bentley stays on his line, like he did for the one before, he throws his cap on it.  He either made a poor decision, or he didn’t execute, or a bit of both.

Sometimes it’s just very difficult to defend a ball delivered into the right area with a bit of pace on it.  Fortunately most times a player hits the near post area and big Fam (or Martin head it away).

Yesterday if you go man for man you create congestion, and you accept what might happen.  If you go zonal you accept the weaknesses of that too.

I know it’s a stupid comment but Rotherham didn’t score it yesterday, we conceded it....if that makes sense.

As I was typing this, I was watching Quest.....Jack Hunt just lets M.Smith go. Jeez!  Although Bentley makes another bad decision.  In fact Wood’s header is going well wide until it hits Vyner.

Dont get me wrong we need to do better, but I think a lot is about organisation, concentration rather than height per se.

2 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

I'd like to see Louis Britton given a chance. Scoring goals for fun in U23s . I thought he could have done a job for us yesterday.

Couldn’t disagree - also Sam Bell looks much quicker than both Fam and Nakhi.  Give them both a chance in upcoming games!

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Dont get me wrong we need to do better, but I think a lot is about organisation, concentration rather than height per se.

Daffyd, why do you call the poster Percy when his name is Jon ?

2 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Literally couldn't do any worse..

At least the lad gives a shit...

If Fam does go away on international duty even with the ability to take a test to avoid a full 10 day quarantine, it is still 5 days.  Can’t see him being available for the Easter games.

On 21/03/2021 at 15:36, Davefevs said:

If Fam does go away on international duty even with the ability to take a test to avoid a full 10 day quarantine, it is still 5 days.  Can’t see him being available for the Easter games.

So it's not all bad news!

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

I see no use in starting with Fam , he is leaving, is miles off the type of player we need in the future. That he has played may indicate we don't think we have the correct player for that role available. Not sure I see much use for Wells either mind. Martin I have never seen play much for us, but also doubt he is suitable , though he did seem to hold the ball up well, though pace very slow. Be a good recruiting challenge this summer, but Fam is gone, so let's play someone else who wants to be here and will be here. 

I guess it depends if Pearson plans to recruit someone whose the same type of striker famara is so trying to replicate the game play

39 minutes ago, RedNachos said:

There are millions of people who would go out and leave everything on the line for this club if they got the chance, yet we persist to start with someone who couldn't give a flying ****, infuriating.

Now, I am not defending any player that does not give 100% however people need to remember Fam, in this example, is paid by BCFC But is not a fan - he did not grow up dreaming of playing at AG.

Its a job, and he is looking out for himself as he is soon to be out of contract.

Live with it, he is not going to bust a gut for us anymore.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

According to Gregor, Fam’s final game is being played in Senegal (not Eswatini), and they aren’t on quarantine list....but it’s still a tight turnaround that makes me fee, it’s unlikely he will start.

? I should be so lucky,? lucky, ?lucky? lucky?

2 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Yep, thats the bit we don't know , what player he sees in that role. Nige is normally thrown into a squad that has too many players, and having to use what he has. At Leicester he was able to build what he wanted. We have scope , which must be attractive to him. Vardy Mk 2 is fine by all of us. Only based on that, I would think he wants someone with pace who can create space as well as not lose the ball every time it arrives to him. Of course knowing what you want and finding/affording them is the real challenge. He is clearly looking at Palmer playing in front of the midfield, and that suggests he needs someone who can create space. Though Palmer needs to improve a lot too, and be faster at moving the ball on and not trying to beat a load of players. Antoine tends to do the same, though has moments when he moves the ball on very fast. Hey it's guessing, but certainly we will need better , or let's say different to Fam. 

Sounds exactly like Andi Weimann if he recovers who would definitely be affordable, also would able to cover the pressing part of a vardy type striker  

Archived