IGNORED

True Grit

headhunter

This is a recording of last night's Live Forever Bristol City Podcast:

https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/true-grit-1616048562/ 

City did well to earn a point at Ewood Park with a gritty performance against Tony Mowbray's Blackburn.

It was a first drawn game in 24 and they had to start it without Dan Bentley who cried off sick in the afternoon. In Max O'Leary it shows they have a ready made replacement should Bentley move on in the summer.

Another plus point was the continuing improved form of HNM who gave another high energy performance.

A lacklustre display from Fam suggests that next game should see changes up front with a view to having next season in mind

City were under the cosh for the first half but had chances to win in the 2nd although Blackburn too went close.

Well done Ian who hosted tonight's pod for the first time after tech difficulties prevented Birthday Boy Headhunter for joining him, DaveFevs & Mark

Did I hear Ian (either on the podcast or RB beforehand) say if Pearson is appointed he could see ST sales of 16-17k?

Can't see anything like that myself. Pearson's permanent appointment could significantly reduce the numbers not renewing, which would have been very substantial imo if someone less inspiring was in charge, but really can't see a near 50% increase on last season's reported 12k. 

I can see a boost with lapsed STH's and perhaps 13.5k sold if he is appointed, whereas I think that number would have dropped like a stone to more like 7.5k without the installation of such an inspiring and experienced figure, and with it the promise of real change from the tedious  rubbish we've endured at AG for most of the past 3 seasons.

27 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Did I hear Ian (either on the podcast or RB beforehand) say if Pearson is appointed he could see ST sales of 16-17k?

Can't see anything like that myself. Pearson's permanent appointment could significantly reduce the numbers not renewing, which would have been very substantial imo if someone less inspiring was in charge, but really can't see a near 50% increase on last season's reported 12k. 

I can see a boost with lapsed STH's and perhaps 13.5k sold if he is appointed, whereas I think that number would have dropped like a stone to more like 7.5k without the installation of such an inspiring and experienced figure, and with it the promise of real change from the tedious  rubbish we've endured at AG for most of the past 3 seasons.

That was Ian on BBCRB who said that, not the pod.  He might’ve even said 17/18k.

I don’t think we will get anything like that (current is around 13/14k I think).  Post-Covid there will be a lot of apathy, and also people won’t have the money.

So, unless you slash prices to get bums on seats I think we will do well to get the same levels as recent years.

45 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I think we'd be looking at roughly the same to be honest.  Pearson signing would be a boost to the renewal, as would the prospect of being able to finally get down there and watch some live football.  However there will be many I'm sure who will be understandably hesitant of going to crowded places in what is still not yet a post-covid world and will possibly look to see how it goes before committing possibly to a half season ticket.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That was Ian on BBCRB who said that, not the pod.  He might’ve even said 17/18k.

I don’t think we will get anything like that (current is around 13/14k I think).  Post-Covid there will be a lot of apathy, and also people won’t have the money.

So, unless you slash prices to get bums on seats I think we will do well to get the same levels as recent years.

'Almost 12k' was the last figure I saw on the official site.

Many fans, including me, had already decided not to renew with the prospect of more LJ.

I think lots of people (not all, of course) will actually have saved money during the pandemic - a continuing reluctance to mix with crowds will be more of a problem when it comes to fans buying ST's imo.

I can't see anything other than a significant drop in attendances across the board to be honest, due to all of the reasons already mentioned in this thread.

There's still too much uncertainty over what the future holds regards covid. 

The club should reduce ticket prices to entice people back. Attending football is a habit and some people just won't return to watching live football unless they are encouraged to do so. 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I can't see anything other than a significant drop in attendances across the board to be honest, due to all of the reasons already mentioned in this thread.

The club should reduce ticket prices to entice people back. Attending football is a habit and some people just won't return to watching live football unless they are encouraged to do so. 

People are seriously underestimating the effect Covid is likely to have on attendances across the board.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Reduction in ticket prices would be welcome, but how much would they need to come down by to tempt people?

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Reduction in ticket prices would be welcome, but how much would they need to come down by to tempt people?

This is all about the elasticity of demand. Is it better to have 10000 [max number I think we'll get post-Covid] season ticket holders paying £250 rather than, say, £18000 paying £170. In pure cash terms that's £2.5M VS £3.1M.

Now, you've no guarantee that 8000 more would buy at the reduced price when you've got that 10000 guaranteed that will pay the full amount. 

No Pearson confirmed I think even the 10k is optimistic!

26 minutes ago, headhunter said:

This is all about the elasticity of demand. Is it better to have 10000 [max number I think we'll get post-Covid] season ticket holders paying £250 rather than, say, £18000 paying £170. In pure cash terms that's £2.5M VS £3.1M.

Now, you've no guarantee that 8000 more would buy at the reduced price when you've got that 10000 guaranteed that will pay the full amount. 

No Pearson confirmed I think even the 10k is optimistic!

If the model is correct, the more bums on seats should mean more people in the concourse, and I suspect that is where the profit margins may lie???

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If the model is correct, the more bums on seats should mean more people in the concourse, and I suspect that is where the profit margins may lie???

Indeed. And if the extra 8000 fans each buy (say) a coffee and a Mars bar at each match that's about £80 more revenue (£4 x 20) which equates to the higher ticket price (£250 minus £170).

25 minutes ago, Nongazeuse said:

Indeed. And if the extra 8000 fans each buy (say) a coffee and a Mars bar at each match that's about £80 more revenue (£4 x 20) which equates to the higher ticket price (£250 minus £170).

Totally agree with what you and DaveFevs are saying but I'm not convinced the powers that be at Ashton Gate will see it that way even though in Germany the low cost of admission and very high attendances would suggest that they do.

Anything less than a Pearson appointment and I suggest POTD numbers will increase as people take a view on whether the commitment shown in past years will resume - there are health issues for some and others may just not have the money

Archived