IGNORED

Is horse racing barbaric?

Kid in the Riot

7 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

How many cows in that time for us to eat?

straw man is a form of argument and an informal fallacy of having the impression of refuting an argument, whereas the proper idea of the argument under discussion was not addressed or properly refuted. One who engages in this fallacy is said to be "attacking a straw man".

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

For all the relevance your question had, you may as well have asked me how many planets there are in the solar system... 

As yes because questioning about the numbers of another similar farm animal which are also killed in the name of human consumption/entertainment has the same relevance as a question on Space.

Are you okay?

4 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

As yes because questioning about the numbers of another similar farm animal which are also killed in the name of human consumption/entertainment has the same relevance as a question on Space.

Are you okay?

Oh my god, you actually think you're being really clever ??

Horses aren't used on farms in this country anymore btw, it's not the 1860s ??

Now, if you've got something remotely interesting to say, the floor is yours, if not, please stop replying to me!

13 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Oh my god, you actually think you're being really clever ??

Horses aren't used on farms in this country anymore btw, it's not the 1860s ??

Now, if you've got something remotely interesting to say, the floor is yours, if not, please stop replying to me!

As opposed to you, who's making himself look like a prize knob ?

Ah thanks for that, when I drive up the farm track later on to go home then and I look to the field on the left and see 5 animals looking remarkably like horses in there, I'll say to them 'sorry pals you can't be horses anymore because @Kid in the Riot on OTIB says horses aren't used on farms in this country anymore!' ?  

That's the great thing about internet forums. You don't know who the other person is so you can quite easily make yourself look like an idiot on a subject you know nothing about as you have here! ?  

Many thanks for the entertainment on a boring Wednesday!?

4 hours ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

As opposed to you, who's making himself look like a prize knob ?

Ah thanks for that, when I drive up the farm track later on to go home then and I look to the field on the left and see 5 animals looking remarkably like horses in there, I'll say to them 'sorry pals you can't be horses anymore because @Kid in the Riot on OTIB says horses aren't used on farms in this country anymore!' ?  

That's the great thing about internet forums. You don't know who the other person is so you can quite easily make yourself look like an idiot on a subject you know nothing about as you have here! ?  

Many thanks for the entertainment on a boring Wednesday!?

And what agricultural process are those horses used for, sweetie?

This is so embarrassing for you pal - even my four year old can successfully identify what a farm animal is! ?

Absolute joker - again, please stop replying to me ? 

13 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

This is so embarrassing for you pal - even my four year old can successfully identify what a farm animal is! ?

Absolute joker - again, please stop replying to me ? 

You wouldn’t understand even if I explained that to you, you’ve made that clear ?

If you don’t want me to keep showing you up then just stop replying, can you not work that out?

Also the horses are very sad at the fact you said they can’t live on the farm anymore ?

What a whopper you are ?

Maybe the horses are there more as pets or for leisure/riding?Seems unlikely that they would be used for pulling ploughs or farm machinery?I don't believe any animals should be harmed for human entertainment,though there are some creatures I am not particularly fond of.

I do eat meat ,so maybe it makes me a bit of a hypocrite.In answer to the original question,I am not a fan of horse racing due to the damage done to horses.There are many other ways to get your betting fix. It seems to be a very big economy though so I can't see any change coming soon.

19 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I have a distant family member with a smallholding up North. He has a Tractor, but still uses Horses for Harrowing small areas and also hoeing between vegetable rows etc. If you are referring to large Industrial scale farms, then of course Horses are no longer used but for smaller holdings, and for specific tasks then he tells me its still not that unusual. Mind you, he is a bit weird

2 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I have a distant family member with a smallholding up North. He has a Tractor, but still uses Horses for Harrowing small areas and also hoeing between vegetable rows etc. If you are referring to large Industrial scale farms, then of course Horses are no longer used but for smaller holdings, and for specific tasks then he tells me its still not that unusual. Mind you, he is a bit weird

And the winner of today's "fact of the day" goes to...

@TonyTonyTony Brilliantly put, too.

I think horses jumping over fences is the problem. The consequences of horses getting injured and subsequently euthanised is a heavy price and the question is - are high (and therefore dangerous) fences really necessary? 

Surely hurdles are much safer and of course flat racing is the sport of kings

Is it cruel to horses? I guess it is just as the whip is cruel. Do we see animal rights protesters kicking off about it tho? 

12 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Yes. 

Not a helpful contribution to the thread.........:dunno:

What you say that these top horses get treated like royalty, live a rich and healthy life and when they retire get to go to stud and have a great time? 

Not exactly cruel or barbaric is it? 

No. Try getting a horse to run if it doesn't want too. Horses enjoy it. 

On 16/03/2021 at 20:03, Kid in the Riot said:

67 horses killed/destroyed at Cheltenham since 2000. I hope the entertainment is worth it, because that seems a heavy price to pay to me. 

Less than 1% of total runners though. 

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I think horses jumping over fences is the problem. The consequences of horses getting injured and subsequently euthanised is a heavy price and the question is - are high (and therefore dangerous) fences really necessary? 

I agree 100%

46 minutes ago, One man went.... said:

I know logistics, procedures and costs are prohibitive. But I've never really understood why a horse would be euthanised for damaging a leg. Surely in this day and age, there must be a a way to save the horses life So it could live a happy retirement in the fields.. 

It’s the decision of the on course vet I imagine but to put a cynical spin on it.....horses are expensive to maintain and then to treat injured injured horses and rehabilitate them is an added cost - all the while not racing and potentially earning prize money........these considerations may well influence the decision to euthanise.............:dunno: 

It's 100% barbaric, but as ever when it comes to the treatment of animals, people naturally (and to be fair understandably in most cases) prefer to keep themselves ignorant of the uncomfortable facts of it. Horse racing is fun, the bad side is shielded, and people will carry on as normal rather than facing an uncomfortable truth.

12 hours ago, Robbored said:

It’s the decision of the on course vet I imagine but to put a cynical spin on it.....horses are expensive to maintain and then to treat injured injured horses and rehabilitate them is an added cost - all the while not racing and potentially earning prize money........these considerations may well influence the decision to euthanise.............:dunno: 

They should do the same with the Jockeys

Archived