IGNORED

Ashton Gate - Pre War

The Red Planet

A friend of mine who is a dedicated City fan and a regular visitor to otib but never posts (to my knowledge) sent me this image to post here.

He says the photo dates back to somewhere between WW1 and WW2. I have no idea where he found it. 

What a difference ! 

Anyone care to date it, or at least hazard a guess as to in which decade it was taken ?

Judging by the housing in the photo, I would say 1930's or early 1940's.

Ashton Gate - Pre War.jpg

17 minutes ago, The Red Planet said:

A friend of mine who is a dedicated City fan and a regular visitor to otib but never posts (to my knowledge) sent me this image to post here.

He says the photo dates back to somewhere between WW1 and WW2. I have no idea where he found it. 

What a difference ! 

Anyone care to date it, or at least hazard a guess as to in which decade it was taken ?

So weird to think my grandad was going down The Gate at that time!

22 minutes ago, The Red Planet said:

What a difference ! 

Would be 1920s or earlier. No East End cover which went up around 1928.

I think the second Eastend roof went up in 1928, so this must pre date that.

If you could make out the pitch markings, the penalty arc would be missing as it wasn't introduced until 1937. If you zoom in you can see some training goal posts behind the old main stand. Not much room for that now! 

Also you can see the old swimming pool in the park.

18 minutes ago, miser said:

Would be 1920s or earlier. No East End cover which went up around 1928.

Can also see the remains of the Bristol International Exhibition (White City) - which had mostly been demo'd by 1919. 

19 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

OTIB in the 1930's:

"That's an out of town ground with no atmosphere and a tin shed, just like all modern grounds these days"

Yes! Interesting to think that the city was built up around the ground, rather than the ground being built deliberately in the city. Wonder if this is the case for most old football grounds.

24 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

I think the second Eastend roof went up in 1928, so this must pre date that.

If you could make out the pitch markings, the penalty arc would be missing as it wasn't introduced until 1937. If you zoom in you can see some training goal posts behind the old main stand. Not much room for that now! 

Also you can see the old swimming pool in the park.

I never knew that..... I zoomed in as far as possible and couldn’t see any pitch markings

52 minutes ago, The Red Planet said:

What a difference ! 

That’s a beauty. 

I love these kinds of photos. 

if there was ever a time of moving the pitch away from the houses, it was then ?

14 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

This pic has been on here before.

With all that space behind the E.E., WHY was the ground built so close to those houses at what is now the Atyeo end ?? ?

Because Steve Lansdown hadn't been born yet.

1 hour ago, The Red Planet said:

What a difference ! 

Those buildings to the right look wierd how they stop at the boundry.

Thanks for posting it. Seen a few similar old pictures before. The one below is a very close match, but taken from a different angle. It may even come from the same fly over as yours. It's dated to 1927. The second is from the early 30s I think, where you can see the EE has its roof.

ashtongate_1927.thumb.jpg.03f162e8da4a2b5fd6222efb137e9266.jpg2037311522_ashtongate1930s.thumb.jpg.406e5dd360ed9ad775ee0e2cf28ca5ca.jpg

36 minutes ago, SuperDziek said:

I can see SuperDziek HQ on there which was built in the early 20’s from memory. 

I think the houses on Smyth, for example were built early 30’s so that narrows the timeframe a bit - can you confirm @CyderInACan?

and ex @oldstandrobin house on Winterstoke

1 hour ago, Reigate Red said:

OTIB in the 1930's:

"That's an out of town ground with no atmosphere and a tin shed, just like all modern grounds these days"

Also from OTIB in the 30s.

" can't see why the club hang on to the row of houses they own behind the Park End. They'll never be any use to us so might as well sell them fir a few bob that can be used to improve the team!" 

Archived