IGNORED

Ashton Gate - Pre War

The Red Planet

3 hours ago, SuperDziek said:

I can see SuperDziek HQ on there which was built in the early 20’s from memory. 

I think the houses on Smyth, for example were built early 30’s so that narrows the timeframe a bit - can you confirm @CyderInACan?

Yup - Smyth etc 1930's. Colliter crescent very prominent in that pic! 

4 hours ago, The Red Planet said:

A friend of mine who is a dedicated City fan and a regular visitor to otib but never posts (to my knowledge) sent me this image to post here.

He says the photo dates back to somewhere between WW1 and WW2. I have no idea where he found it. 

What a difference ! Anyone care to date it, or at least hazard a guess as to in which decade it was taken ? Judging by the housing in the photo, I would say 1930's or early 1940's.

There was a covered stand on the "East End" when City moved to Ashton Gate from St Johns Lane in 1904 - the pic below is from the opening First Division game of season 1906/07.

City had been promoted as Second Division champions the year before (co-incidentally, Man Utd went up with us as runners up).

We finished the 1906/07 First Division season in second place, just 3 points shy of being Champions of England, so you're looking at our greatest ever side or, rather, 4 of them:

Bristol City v Manchester United 1906-1907 | Leslie Millman | Flickr

The roof was damaged by gales in 1916 and the stand demolished completely in 1917.

As already noted by other posters, a new stand was put up in 1928. This was paid for by the sale of 2 players - Keating and Bourton. The stand was unofficially known as the Keating Stand for a while as he was an established player for us at the time. Bourton had played just 4 games but was a striker of immense promise who went on to score tons of goals for Blackburn and Coventry (possibly Coventry's all time top goalscorer, I think). He returned to City in 1938, WW2 bringing an end to his playing career, but he worked for the club in one capacity or another for many years after. 

A long-winded way of saying - your photo is dated some time between 1917 and 1928. 

5 hours ago, The Red Planet said:

A friend of mine who is a dedicated City fan and a regular visitor to otib but never posts (to my knowledge) sent me this image to post here.

He says the photo dates back to somewhere between WW1 and WW2. I have no idea where he found it. 

What a difference ! 

Anyone care to date it, or at least hazard a guess as to in which decade it was taken ?

Judging by the housing in the photo, I would say 1930's or early 1940's.

Ashton Gate - Pre War.jpg

Wow imagine what SL could develop with that much space

1 hour ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

I wonder what the capacity was in those pre Health & Safety days

The official record attendance is 43,335 in 1935, which must have been quite a squeeze seeing as the stands along the sides of the pitch look quite small. I’ve also read that there was another game around that time with a slightly smaller official attendance, but that many fans broke through the gates and there were estimates of up to 50,000 people in the ground. I’ve seen pics of that game with fans sitting on the EE roof. 

12 minutes ago, Offside said:

The official record attendance is 43,335 in 1935, which must have been quite a squeeze seeing as the stands along the sides of the pitch look quite small. I’ve also read that there was another game around that time with a slightly smaller official attendance, but that many fans broke through the gates and there were estimates of up to 50,000 people in the ground. I’ve seen pics of that game with fans sitting on the EE roof. 

Yes, I think I am right in saying that was a cup game and my father told me that it was the following game after we knocked Preston out that you are describing.

I have seen pictures of the fans on the roof and he was roughly able to point himself out in them. He would have been 14 at the time.

6 minutes ago, Offside said:

Here’s that pic I mentioned in my previous post. 

607FB6DA-ED3B-4266-8C78-5484A0C482ED.jpeg

My dad said he was in that group sat on the very top of the stand to the left. I think he said the chap stood up to the right of that group was a copper trying to get them down, but he realised he was more likely to make someone fall (including himself) so disappeared again. :)

They couldn't see the goal this end for most of the game.

13 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes, I think I am right in saying that was a cup game and my father told me that it was the following game after we knocked Preston out that you are describing.

I have seen pictures of the fans on the roof and he was roughly able to point himself out in them. He would have been 14 at the time.

Having looked this up, it doesn't look like the teo games were related. We drew 0-0 with PNE and then lost 5-0 in the replay. :(

But I still think the picture that @Offside has posted was against Bolton, possibly just after the war?

50 minutes ago, Offside said:

Here’s that pic I mentioned in my previous post. 

607FB6DA-ED3B-4266-8C78-5484A0C482ED.jpeg

This game is the FA Cup Fourth Round tie against Portsmouth in January 1935. 

We were a rubbish Third Division side, Portsmouth were a First Division side and had got to the Cup Final the year before. We drew 0-0 at Fratton Park, then won the replay above 2-0, attendance 42,000.

We played First Division Preston in the Fifth Round, drawing 0-0 at The Gate with our record attendance of 43,000 - so more than the above picture! The replay was a one sided defeat. 

Bill Shankly was playing for Preston. His brother Bob turned out for City twice a few years later during WW2.  

32 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

This game is the FA Cup Fourth Round tie against Portsmouth in January 1935. 

We were a rubbish Third Division side, Portsmouth were a First Division side and had got to the Cup Final the year before. We drew 0-0 at Fratton Park, then won the replay above 2-0, attendance 42,000.

We played First Division Preston in the Fifth Round, drawing 0-0 at The Gate with our record attendance of 43,000 - so more than the above picture! The replay was a one sided defeat. 

Bill Shankly was playing for Preston. His brother Bob turned out for City twice a few years later during WW2.  

Thank you, so the two games were related I just got them the wrong way around. :) 

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

There was a covered stand on the "East End" when City moved to Ashton Gate from St Johns Lane in 1904 - the pic below is from the opening First Division game of season 1906/07.

City had been promoted as Second Division champions the year before (co-incidentally, Man Utd went up with us as runners up).

We finished the 1906/07 First Division season in second place, just 3 points shy of being Champions of England, so you're looking at our greatest ever side or, rather, 4 of them:

Bristol City v Manchester United 1906-1907 | Leslie Millman | Flickr

The roof was damaged by gales in 1916 and the stand demolished completely in 1917.

As already noted by other posters, a new stand was put up in 1928. This was paid for by the sale of 2 players - Keating and Bourton. The stand was unofficially known as the Keating Stand for a while as he was an established player for us at the time. Bourton had played just 4 games but was a striker of immense promise who went on to score tons of goals for Blackburn and Coventry (possibly Coventry's all time top goalscorer, I think). He returned to City in 1938, WW2 bringing an end to his playing career, but he worked for the club in one capacity or another for many years after. 

A long-winded way of saying - your photo is dated some time between 1917 and 1928. 

That's a fantastic photo...thanks for sharing. ??

I only found out recently that Bristol had a race course for many years. If anyone is interested... http://www.greyhoundderby.com/Bristol Racecourse.html

6 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

So weird to think my grandad was going down The Gate at that time!

My parents owned a house in Ashton Road, a couple of houses before what is now the entrance to the Dolman Stand. the houses first came on the market in 1919, so they photo is very likely between then and 1928.

5 minutes ago, Red Moseley said:

My parents owned a house in Ashton Road, a couple of houses before what is now the entrance to the Dolman Stand. the houses first came on the market in 1919, so they photo is very likely between then and 1928.

I know he went down there when he got married, circa 1923 but probably went down before that. He was born 1900 I think, lived in Little Paradise. My mum was born in 1928.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I only found out recently that Bristol had a race course for many years. If anyone is interested... http://www.greyhoundderby.com/Bristol Racecourse.html

Not for many years only operating for about 5 during the 1870's, situated on what is now Redcatch Park along side the original Knowle golf course 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I only found out recently that Bristol had a race course for many years

Yes, it's not a well-known local fact these days. The Knowle venue was from the cricket club back down to about the Wellgarth Road junction. It largely floundered when the owners didn't charge punters unless they went into the grandstand. Bath attracted the big crowds.

As an aside, Bristol also had three greyhound tracks in the past: one at the Knowle stadium along with the speedway, a certain place in the Eastville area and the short-lived Magnet along South Liberty Lane (it was shaped like a horseshoe).

11 hours ago, Galway Red said:

Not for many years only operating for about 5 during the 1870's, situated on what is now Redcatch Park along side the original Knowle golf course 

11 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Yes, it's not a well-known local fact these days. The Knowle venue was from the cricket club back down to about the Wellgarth Road junction. It largely floundered when the owners didn't charge punters unless they went into the grandstand. Bath attracted the big crowds.

As an aside, Bristol also had three greyhound tracks in the past: one at the Knowle stadium along with the speedway, a certain place in the Eastville area and the short-lived Magnet along South Liberty Lane (it was shaped like a horseshoe).

It mentions in the link Bristol and Clifton as well from the early 1800's. 

14 hours ago, spudski said:

Similarly I only recently found out about Knowle Stadium too. Quite unusual to have a stadium like that around with no associated football or rugby team I'd imagine.

1 minute ago, nebristolred said:

Similarly I only recently found out about Knowle Stadium too. Quite unusual to have a stadium like that around with no associated football or rugby team I'd imagine.

Greyhound racing and Speedway were massive pre 80s. Still so much to learn about our City that's gone forever. 

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

Greyhound racing and Speedway were massive pre 80s. Still so much to learn about our City that's gone forever. 

Yep, in the 80's we had a newsagents in Bedminster, off St Johns Lane. On alternate saturdays, we went to Eastville to watch the dogs. Used to have a meal in the Main Stand and put on our bets from the luxury of our tables. Very enjoyable. Also used to go down and watch Bristol Bulldogs Speedway. 

Archived