IGNORED

Ashton Gate - Pre War

The Red Planet

21 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Which section of the picture is that Tom? 

Bottom right, where the flats/guided busway are.  It was quite bonkers what was built just for an exhibition:

1589866.jpg?r=1541605412627

17 hours ago, Mr X said:

Do you think they complained about the air being too cold coming out of the hand dryers?

Funny enough I was in there yesterday they're still freezing cold! Did mention a few F words under my tongue.

23 hours ago, Offside said:

Fascinating pictures. I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that when the ground was originally built the pitch was on the site of the bowling green. 

Do you mean this picture?
199879914_download(6).thumb.png.8fa979fce39940485f80a27bf6d07bf9.png

I'd love to find some pictures of when it was a cricket ground but I've been unable to find anything.

On 18/03/2021 at 12:36, Robin101 said:

Yes! Interesting to think that the city was built up around the ground, rather than the ground being built deliberately in the city. Wonder if this is the case for most old football grounds.

Not the case with AG but a lot of grounds were deliberately built close to railway stations which is why a lot were in town/city centres. I`m not that familiar with the rail network that existed back when AG was built so it might have worked for us too back then.

Archived