IGNORED

Clean Air Zone & Parking impact next season...

spudski

... apologies if this has been spoken about before, but I couldn't find a thread.

What are people's thoughts on the impact the CAZ and parking issues will have on the Club in future?

Anyone North of the river is really going to be impeded.

Basically adding another £9 per visit to the Gate. Plus limited parking availability.

Absolute pathetic public transport availability if you live outside of Bristol.

I can really see it being an issue.

I feel for anyone South who heads to the Cumberland basin and turns left down the Portray heading to the M5 for work everyday. They've included that little stretch, so you'll have to pay £9 every day.

All that will do will send everyone up past Leigh Woods to get to the motorway. 

I notice the Bath Clean Air Zone isn't charging cars...just commercial vehicles.

Basically anyone North of the river is looking at £120+ to attend games next season...just to get there, if you drive a car.

Thoughts....

I think this comes from two places:

- The people in power wilfully ignoring the climate issue (not only right now, but for a long time) until it has become a crisis

- The people in power criminally mismanaging / underfunding public services, like bus/rail etc. so they're barely fit for purpose

I agree it seems a very poor solution to simply fine people for using their car when you don't provide a decent alternative to me. Not sure punishment is a great incentive for these things, and instead just breeds resentment!

What happened with the talk of that small station opposite AG that rears its head every few years?

15 minutes ago, spudski said:

... apologies if this has been spoken about before, but I couldn't find a thread.

What are people's thoughts on the impact the CAZ and parking issues will have on the Club in future?

Basically adding another £9 per visit to the Gate. Plus limited parking availability.

I feel for anyone South who heads to the Cumberland basin and turns left down the Portray heading to the M5 for work everyday. They've included that little stretch, so you'll have to pay £9 every day.

I notice the Bath Clean Air Zone isn't charging cars...just commercial vehicles.

Basically anyone North of the river is looking at £120+ to attend games next season...just to get there, if you drive a car.

Thoughts....

Maybe I have this wrong but I thought that the CAZ plans were aimed at only diesel vehicles?

Just now, Robbored said:

Maybe I have this wrong but I thought that the CAZ plans aerie aimed at only diesel vehicles?

I checked online where you can check for the Bath and Birmingham zones and my 2011 petrol car doesn't have a charge

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Maybe I have this wrong but I thought that the CAZ plans aerie aimed at only diesel vehicles?

Just now, spudski said:

Link for details here... https://www.bristol.gov.uk/streets-travel/bristol-caz/charges-and-checker 

All vehicles charged except Disabled etc.

Pretty much every fan North of river home and away fans will be hit in some form or another.

The second line says 71% of cars in Bristol wont have to pay...

You can check your reg here: https://vehiclecheck.drive-clean-air-zone.service.gov.uk/vehicle_checkers/enter_details to see if you have to pay.

"The charge does not apply to:

Euro 4, 5 and 6 petrol vehicles, roughly to vehicles made from 2006 onwards

Euro 6 diesel vehicles, roughly vehicles from 2015 onwards"

2 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

71% of cars in Bristol wont have to pay.

You can check your reg here: https://vehiclecheck.drive-clean-air-zone.service.gov.uk/vehicle_checkers/enter_details to see if you have to pay.

"

The charge does not apply to:

Euro 4, 5 and 6 petrol vehicles, roughly to vehicles made from 2006 onwards

Euro 6 diesel vehicles, roughly vehicles from 2015 onwards"

Are you sure that's for Bristol mate...how I read the link, it covered all cars petrol and diesel in the Bristol CAZ. Apologies if I've misread it

Just now, spudski said:

I've had a mare here lads...delete the thread... haven't a clue how I've misread the link...nightmare... apologies ?????

I'm glad you posted it. Up til just now I'd got the impression it was all cars - pretty sure that's how Points West reported it the other night.

So its been reassuring to find out about it!

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

I'm glad you posted it. Up til just now I'd got the impression it was all cars - pretty sure that's how Points West reported it the other night.

So its been reassuring to find out about it!

Well I guess I'm glad also...because I was under the impression it was all cars too. I was seriously considering not bothering next season because of it. 

It's just becoming so hard and prohibitive to get to a game these days in a relaxed manner.

Public transport for many is awful. 

Parking times and charges ridiculous.

Congestion.

If you walk from public transport you often get soaking wet if raining. Can't take an umbrella. 

Everything is just a ball ache these days...I was seriously thinking of giving up and going to watch my local non league instead. Just haven't got the patience these days.

5 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Living in north Bristol, its a ball ache driving down to south Bristol anyway. Can’t remember the last time I drove to football, let the train take the strain and have a beer. 

Last train back for me on a midweek is 9.30 pm. So no chance of seeing 2nd half. Then you've got to get from Station to ground often in the rain. Then get home from Station the other end.

And let's be honest...public transport is hell. Last time I got on a bus, bloke next to me was eating a whole rotisserie chicken with his hands...and last time I used the train, bloke puked everywhere in the carriage.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Last train back for me on a midweek is 9.30 pm. So no chance of seeing 2nd half. Then you've got to get from Station to ground often in the rain. Then get home from Station the other end.

And let's be honest...public transport is hell. Last time I got on a bus, bloke next to me was eating a whole rotisserie chicken with his hands...and last time I used the train, bloke puked everywhere in the carriage.

Did he offer you a leg of said chicken ?

13 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Living in north Bristol, its a ball ache driving down to south Bristol anyway. Can’t remember the last time I drove to football, let the train take the strain and have a beer. 

Always get the bus,well two to be exact,since the 71 stopped running on a weekend,no problem,5 of us get a group ticket for about a tenner ?,that ain’t bad.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Thoughts....

My understanding is this will only affect people with the most polluting cars the majority of people will pay nothing at all.

Just now, pillred said:

My understanding is this will only affect people with the most polluting cars the majority of people will pay nothing at all.

You mean those who can afford nice shiny newish cars don't have to pay, and those less well off with older cars do - that's fair then and being bought in by a Labour council!

Also those of us with older cars not offered any scrappage scheme to help finance an upgrade.

1 minute ago, old_eastender said:

You mean those who can afford nice shiny newish cars don't have to pay, and those less well off with older cars do - that's fair then and being bought in by a Labour council!

Also those of us with older cars not offered any scrappage scheme to help finance an upgrade.

Terrible policy, they say it's for the environment but we all know it's to raise revenue, when all cars are electric and produce no harmful emissions they will then call it a congestion charge or something, they don't fool anyone.

1 minute ago, old_eastender said:

I have been in direct contact with BCC (CAZ) as I am thinking about changing my car.  

The charge for the CAZ is 24/7 and is £9 per day. It will not apply to euro 4/5/6 petrol cars and euro 6 diesel cars, IF IT GETS GOVT APPROVAL.

It has been submitted so we now wait to see.

I have a euro 5b diesel and pay £20 per year for a low C02 vehicle (N02 measure not available) and that grates with me.  Public transport infrastructure is poor in Bristol and where will BCC get the money to upgrade everything and how long will that take to implement?  The cost to upgrade the car (which is already a decent car) is very expensive for anyone.

Add to this that the pandemic has shown the safest place to be at the moment is in your own vehicle rather than a bus or similar, then it really becomes a joke.  People = transmission and the public authorities are already telling us there will be another pandemic.

CAZ = another tax to live here in Bristol. And for sure BCFC will be impacted.

26 minutes ago, spudski said:

Walk back to Temple Meads and there’s 2/3 trains back up to north Bristol after 10:30pm on a week night. 

8 minutes ago, pillred said:

Terrible policy, they say it's for the environment but we all know it's to raise revenue, when all cars are electric and produce no harmful emissions they will then call it a congestion charge or something, they don't fool anyone.

When they proposed the same in Bath, public opinion forced them to backtrack, but aside from this thread not hearing about any complains about what Marvin Rees is planning to fleece the less well off in Bristol.

Archived