IGNORED

Clean Air Zone & Parking impact next season...

spudski

16 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

You mean those who can afford nice shiny newish cars don't have to pay, and those less well off with older cars do - that's fair then and being bought in by a Labour council!

11 minutes ago, pillred said:

Terrible policy, they say it's for the environment but we all know it's to raise revenue, when all cars are electric and produce no harmful emissions they will then call it a congestion charge or something, they don't fool anyone.

If it was to raise revenue then why do it so it almost entirely affects cars 15 years and older (under 20% of them) and will decrease with time?

Why not just do the congestion charge from the start?

3 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

When they proposed the same in Bath, public opinion forced them to backtrack, but aside from this thread not hearing about any complains about what Marvin Rees is planning to fleece the less well off in Bristol.

You're exempt if you earn under £24k / year so that doesn't make sense either.

8 minutes ago, cityfan said:

I have been in direct contact with BCC (CAZ) as I am thinking about changing my car.  

The charge for the CAZ is 24/7 and is £9 per day. It will not apply to euro 4/5/6 petrol cars and euro 6 diesel cars, IF IT GETS GOVT APPROVAL.

It has been submitted so we now wait to see.

I have a euro 5b diesel and pay £20 per year for a low C02 vehicle (N02 measure not available) and that grates with me.  Public transport infrastructure is poor in Bristol and where will BCC get the money to upgrade everything and how long will that take to implement?  The cost to upgrade the car (which is already a decent car) is very expensive for anyone.

Add to this that the pandemic has shown the safest place to be at the moment is in your own vehicle rather than a bus or similar, then it really becomes a joke.  People = transmission and the public authorities are already telling us there will be another pandemic.

CAZ = another tax to live here in Bristol. And for sure BCFC will be impacted.

I've got the same class of diesel as you - bought it as it was supposed to be eco friendly at the time - so hardly pay any tax. I wont be able to afford a new car, so will have to stack up £9 fines each time I head across the Cumberland basin. Where's the incentive to be able to afford a new even more eco-friendly car?

Just now, IAmNick said:

If it was to raise revenue then why do it so it almost entirely affects cars 15 years and older (under 20% of them)?

Believe me they will just wait, it's a slippery slope once they bring it in they will widen the net so more and more cars are drawn into it. 

50 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

it almost entirely affects cars 15 years and older (under 20% of them) and will decrease with time?

Does it? I have a 7 year old car that would be charged (if the scheme is the same as Birmingham's). 

I don't know if my position is representative of people who live outside the City at all, but for me this is just another reason for me not to visit Bristol and spend my money there. It's too hard to get there, too hard to park and this would be an additional cost. 

1 hour ago, IAmNick said:

If it was to raise revenue then why do it so it almost entirely affects cars 15 years and older (under 20% of them) and will decrease with time?

You do realise Nick that it's all about Marvin Rees and nothing to do with the environment/cars/climate/emissions etc, and if it was somebody else it would be all alright and go away.

2 hours ago, IAmNick said:

The second line says 71% of cars in Bristol wont have to pay...

You can check your reg here: https://vehiclecheck.drive-clean-air-zone.service.gov.uk/vehicle_checkers/enter_details to see if you have to pay.

"The charge does not apply to:

Euro 4, 5 and 6 petrol vehicles, roughly to vehicles made from 2006 onwards

Euro 6 diesel vehicles, roughly vehicles from 2015 onwards"

My van (For Joe) is tax-exempt and therefore will be ok.

My car 2015 diesel Euro 6 says it will be charged. ??‍♂️

1 hour ago, pillred said:
1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Terrible policy, they say it's for the environment but we all know it's to raise revenue,

Exactly. The same as George’s RPZ policy which was never in any manifesto. A regressive tax, basically. 

2 hours ago, IAmNick said:

did you mean earn or income?

1 hour ago, Betty Swallocks said:

The 22:46 to Gloucester stops at Yate.

I've got on those trains that go to Cheltenham and Gloucester. They've failed to stop 3 times. Had to share taxi back with other disgruntled passengers. And how often do trains get cancelled at that time of night...many from my experience. It's just not worth the hassle.

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

I've got on those trains that go to Cheltenham and Gloucester. They've failed to stop 3 times. Had to share taxi back with other disgruntled passengers. And how often do trains get cancelled at that time of night...many from my experience. It's just not worth the hassle.

Can’t say I share the same experiences, I’ve got that train back for every night match (plus occasionally for work) , bar Friday night games, for the past 4/5 years and never had any issues with it not running or stopping. 

Just now, Betty Swallocks said:

Can’t say I share the same experiences, I’ve got that train back for every night match (plus occasionally for work) , bar Friday night games, for the past 4/5 years and never had any issues with it not running or stopping. 

I've got it back on occasions outside of matches. Used to use the train a lot, but it got progressively worse, especially at night.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Nothing that stops at Yate.

Not true mate if you catch the 2220 from Parson street to Filton arr 2241 wait 15 minutes then catch the 2254 which gets you to Yate for 2309 so should be easy for you to get home after a mid week game

4 minutes ago, winsaw said:

Not true mate if you catch the 2220 from Parson street to Filton arr 2241 wait 15 minutes then catch the 2254 which gets you to Yate for 2309 so should be easy for you to get home after a mid week game

Never seen that one. What always worries me with these late trains, is if your at somewhere like Filton and it's cancelled, you're stranded. So many get cancelled.

1 hour ago, Dollymarie said:

So can I just check, if the DVLA link says my car reg doesn’t have to pay for either Bath or Birmingham, I shouldn’t have to pay in Bristol when that scheme comes in? 

That’s the assumption, but one to check when exact details are known.

If/when they introduce this for all vehicles then everyone from the Cribbs/Bradley Stoke area will go down the M5 and use the A369 to get to Ashton Gate to bypass the charging area. This will mean though that more people will be driving longer distances and will end up getting stuck in more traffic! 

30 minutes ago, spudski said:

Never seen that one. What always worries me with these late trains, is if your at somewhere like Filton and it's cancelled, you're stranded. So many get cancelled.

You will never get stranded mate as the rail company has to get u home if your last train is cancelled by law so if it did happen just use the contact button on the platform and they will get u a taxi it will cost you nothing, 

I would add that back in the olden days when we could go football I went to almost every midweek match at the gate for the 4 season before lockdown stopped things and never once had a train cancelled, I think you are worried to much about something that is unlikely to happen 

I get why people think first about the impact on themselves, but air pollution is a serious problem and the worst of it is caused by dirty vehicles. It causes permanent lung and heart damage in babies and young children and speeds the onset of heart and lung disease. Bristol suffers particularly badly with estimates that our low air quality causes more than 200 premature deaths per annum. Areas with the highest pollution levels are often more deprived (houses close to the busiest roads are rarely the most desirable) and car ownership in the worst affected areas is typically low. It IS difficult politically, because those driving the dirtiest vehicles are rarely wealthy themselves - but they're better off than those that suffer most. 

Local authorities up and down the country are at different stages of consulting on or introducing similar policies and I think it would be shameful if Bristol wasn't doing something about this. 

Although the transition to cleaner vehicles is painful and expensive, we'll look back in 20 years and wonder why we didn't act sooner. Just the same as with the clean air act of the 1950s which solved the smog problem in our biggest cities.

Archived