IGNORED

Clean Air Zone & Parking impact next season...

spudski

4 hours ago, spudski said:

Last train back for me on a midweek is 9.30 pm. So no chance of seeing 2nd half. Then you've got to get from Station to ground often in the rain. Then get home from Station the other end.

And let's be honest...public transport is hell. Last time I got on a bus, bloke next to me was eating a whole rotisserie chicken with his hands...and last time I used the train, bloke puked everywhere in the carriage.

Sorry but the chicken was nice and i was hungry!

1 hour ago, Dollymarie said:

So can I just check, if the DVLA link says my car reg doesn’t have to pay for either Bath or Birmingham, I shouldn’t have to pay in Bristol when that scheme comes in? 

Yes. Birmingham is the one you need to watch: Bristol will have the same rules. I guess that could change in time.

2 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

So can I just check, if the DVLA link says my car reg doesn’t have to pay for either Bath or Birmingham, I shouldn’t have to pay in Bristol when that scheme comes in? 

What does the website say about people who have just upgraded their Merc and put a very special plate on it?

Asking for a friend.

@CyderInACan

On the plus side to our City's terrible public transport, it's probably one of the reasons we have got off relatively lightly with Covid compared to all the other major cities where people actually do have and do use decent public transport. As we haven't been able to use tube trains, trams or properly routed frequent buses our covid infection rate has been well down! 

21 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

In all seriousness, something is needed in Bristol. Every time I go back, the traffic gets worse.

The traffic is worse because of the amount of traffic lights and pedestrian crossings. It's at a standstill. Add that to less lanes because if bus lanes and cycle paths.

Getting rid of subways and footbridges has caused mayhem.

The public shouldn't have to stop traffic to cross roads. A footbridge or subway stops all that. 

12 minutes ago, spudski said:

The traffic is worse because of the amount of traffic lights and pedestrian crossings. It's at a standstill. Add that to less lanes because if bus lanes and cycle paths.

The public shouldn't have to stop traffic to cross roads. A footbridge or subway stops all that. 

urban planning and transport has moved on there is no way allocating more road space to cars is happening, or that subways and footbridges are making a comeback. CAZ as currently proposed is only the start.

48 minutes ago, spudski said:

That's a very outdated and incorrect view of traffic management. Roads are not just for cars. And the comment about bus and cycle lanes is just plain wrong. You can fit far more people in far less space using public transport or cycling.

I feel it will make people withdraw from the city area.  It becomes hassle and expensive and people will vote with their pockets.  Too expensive to park in town too.  Easier to go to Clifton village, Whiteladies road, Gloucester road.

They said at the beginning of the pandemic that families in flats, 20 floors up were so cooped up as they had no outside balcony/space, yet BCC is allowing new developments which doesn't support every flat having a balcony.....................crazy!

In some ways, Bristol will get more packed and the things that became appealing about Bristol will disappear and make Bristol less attractive as a place to live because people will get priced out.  Bristol is just starting its long-term journey to become mini London.  Absurd with more people now able to work from home. I'm sure that future council leaders will deplore the over development in Bristol and the ruin of the city.

1 hour ago, Wolf Island said:

urban planning and transport has moved on there is no way allocating more road space to cars is happening, or that subways and footbridges are making a comeback. CAZ as currently proposed is only the start.

I know...for the worse. 

It's all very well trying to stop people using cars...but you have to introduce a reliable affordable alternative. And we are absolutely crap at doing so.

It's easier if you live within the city. 

But for anyone coming in from outside, it's a complete lottery and needs planning like an expidetion to the North Pole.

Imo...inner Cities will die. 

41 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

That's a very outdated and incorrect view of traffic management. Roads are not just for cars. And the comment about bus and cycle lanes is just plain wrong. You can fit far more people in far less space using public transport or cycling.

Of course you can...if people use bikes and public transport. 

Fine if you live in the City.

But for the many people that commute into the City it's too much hassle.

Look at the buses and bike lanes...they are pretty much empty apart from rush hour.

The idea is fine...but you have to offer reliable affordable alternatives.

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

I know...for the worse. 

It's all very well trying to stop people using cars...but you have to introduce a reliable affordable alternative. And we are absolutely crap at doing so.

It's easier if you live within the city. 

But for anyone coming in from outside, it's a complete lottery and needs planning like an expidetion to the North Pole.

Imo...inner Cities will die. 

There do need to be alternatives, which seems to be the missing part of the jigsaw here. 

I’m not shedding any tears though about limiting motorised traffic which literally crushes people under its wheels and blackens children’s lungs.

We’re in a bad place and something has to change.

3 minutes ago, Wolf Island said:

Really disappointing. 

As you can tell from my user name I'm from pill and live 50 yards (metres) from the old station they have been saying the line will  reopen since about 2006 the date keeps moving forward, originally it was going to cost £39 million the last estimate I saw was £175 million so I'm not sure in the current economic climate it will ever actually go ahead though I recently had a leaflet pushed through my door warning of impending works so you never know, the latest date for completion is Feb 2024 though I'm not holding my breath.

2 hours ago, SecretSam said:

In all seriousness, something is needed in Bristol. Every time I go back, the traffic gets worse.

You are right , but we should have done it some time back in my opinion.

10 minutes ago, Wolf Island said:

There do need to be alternatives, which seems to be the missing part of the jigsaw here. 

I’m not shedding any tears though about limiting motorised traffic which literally crushes people under its wheels and blackens children’s lungs.

We’re in a bad place and something has to change.

Thing is...they've been talking about it for years. And whatever they decide doesn't work. The system is broke.

Trains are rammed, old, expensive and unreliable.

Buses limited...and either rammed at rush hour or empty.  And ironically rip up the roads terribly.

Leave a bike anywhere and it's likely to be nicked. And didn't I read recently that Temple meads is getting rid of the bike sheds?

The one thing that would help is limiting how many people are allowed to enter this country and live.

We are an Island, with limited space, and an old infrastructure and many old buildings. It's not rocket science to see we have limited space.

Electric cars and plenty of power points would be a step in the right direction.

Archived