IGNORED

Clean Air Zone & Parking impact next season...

spudski

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Of course you can...if people use bikes and public transport. 

Fine if you live in the City.

But for the many people that commute into the City it's too much hassle.

Look at the buses and bike lanes...they are pretty much empty apart from rush hour.

The idea is fine...but you have to offer reliable affordable alternatives.

Chicken and Egg innit?

When I was working in the City Centre, I would’ve happily got a bus from Downend (and return), but the service was not good enough....price was borderline.  Getting into work was probably ok, it was the inflexibility of getting home that was worse.

6 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Does anyone ever cycle to games? Genuine question. I used to regularly back in the '80s.

Not City, but I used to go and watch Tranmere when I was at uni in Liverpool.

Me and my friend arrived on our bikes, looked around for a while for racks, and eventually asked two stewards if there was somewhere to lock up. They looked at us as if we were absolutely insane, and told us they didn’t think anyone had ever cycled to the ground before. Ended up being stored in the ticket office. This was 2016!

Anyway, not much of a point to this anecdote. Apart from I suppose ‘alternative transport’ has an awful long way to go in some places!

36 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Chicken and Egg innit?

When I was working in the City Centre, I would’ve happily got a bus from Downend (and return), but the service was not good enough....price was borderline.  Getting into work was probably ok, it was the inflexibility of getting home that was worse.

Exactly that...the inflexibility is a major factor. 

It's fine if you've got all day to mooch about. But working with time scales...or even getting to and from a game these days is so frustrating. 

Instead...they decide to spend a million on the Colston Hall or whatever it's called these days.?

20 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Not City, but I used to go and watch Tranmere when I was at uni in Liverpool.

Me and my friend arrived on our bikes, looked around for a while for racks, and eventually asked two stewards if there was somewhere to lock up. They looked at us as if we were absolutely insane, and told us they didn’t think anyone had ever cycled to the ground before. Ended up being stored in the ticket office. This was 2016!

Anyway, not much of a point to this anecdote. Apart from I suppose ‘alternative transport’ has an awful long way to go in some places!

How times have changed...my old man an avid City fan, used to cycle from St John's lane to Eastville to watch Rovers when City weren't at home. Everyone used to just park their bikes up outside, no locks, always be there when you came back. 

Apparently this was the norm back in the 50s and 60s...to watch both Bristol Clubs, but support one.

7 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Does anyone ever cycle to games? Genuine question. I used to regularly back in the '80s.

Yes, I do sometimes. It’s very easy and quick from where I live in Brislington. 

It must be a nightmare getting the ground from further afield, though. 

• Admin

Bristol is going to be difficult to get people using public transport, I live South East Bristol and if I go into the office it’s about 12 miles the other side of town, It can take from 30 minutes to 90 minutes to get there, same to get home depending on the time of day.  I looked at the buses, would have to change and then have at least a 20 minute walk from the bus to work, making it approx 3-31/2 hours each way.  Who is going to do that!

Archived