IGNORED

Eleven years ago today

CyderInACan

Without exception, every City fan i travelled to games with was relieved when he got the boot. One great (albeit fortunate) season but he was leading us downhill fast, his style of management no longer suited to better players.

We'll always remeber the P.Os which were fantastic like we will remember the winning runs and Cup runs when managed by his son.

Let's hope we soon get something from NP we will remember as fondly.  I wouldnt bet against it and rate NP as the most exciting appointment at the club since Coppell..... - Oh well!

By every metric GJ was our most successful manager since Alan Dicks.

By this time he had run his course but he transformed us from a bit of a mess post the short Tinnion era to a side that finished 4th, 10th & 10th in his three full Championship seasons.

I believe we have only bettered his WORST finish once, (in 18/19) since then & prior to that you have to go all the way back to 1990/91..

Also worth pointing out we were still operating in the old Ashton Gate, which for all the nostalgia was looking years past it’s best & didn’t raise anything like the revenue that the pre Covid era rebuild did.

By a mile SL’s best managerial appointment, though obviously optimism is high with NP..

• Admin
18 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Gary Johnson let by mutual consent 11 long years ago. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/b/bristol_city/8573494.stm

We were 15th in the Championship. Today we're 13th. Progress, eh. . . 

Surely one of the weirdest moments in football having a joint press conference to announce a Manager leaving

I think many in here view the GJ era through rose-tinted goggles.

Most fans were calling for him to go. After initial success, and a play-off campaign built on belief, we started to rot from within.

Rotten squad, lousy football, bizarre signings and zero youth development.

Took years to recover.

3 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Without exception, every City fan i travelled to games with was relieved when he got the boot. One great (albeit fortunate) season but he was leading us downhill fast, his style of management no longer suited to better players.

We'll always remeber the P.Os which were fantastic like we will remember the winning runs and Cup runs when managed by his son.

Let's hope we soon get something from NP we will remember as fondly.  I wouldnt bet against it and rate NP as the most exciting appointment at the club since Coppell..... - Oh well!

He dragged us from 22nd in division 3 to finish 9th through a crazy points haul, got promoted the next season and then took us to the play off final the next (the highest placing in over 30 years) with some of the best feel good football and crazy gang spirit I can remember - that's atleast 2 and half great seasons out of those he spent here. Think you're being a bit harsh there my friend! 

Agree with the Hope's for NP

28 minutes ago, phantom said:

Surely one of the weirdest moments in football having a joint press conference to announce a Manager leaving

The club not wanting to portray themselves negatively - hence the ‘mutual consent’ smokescreen. Most of us know why he was sacked - something along the lines of gross misconduct but it was over a decade ago so doesn’t really matter now.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

By this time he had run his course but he transformed us from a bit of a mess post the short Tinnion era to a side that finished 4th, 10th & 10th in his three full Championship seasons.

I believe we have only bettered his WORST finish once, (in 18/19) since then & prior to that you have to go all the way back to 1990/91..

Also worth pointing out we were still operating in the old Ashton Gate, which for all the nostalgia was looking years past it’s best & didn’t raise anything like the revenue that the pre Covid era rebuild did.

By a mile SL’s best managerial appointment, though obviously optimism is high with NP..

Sorry Graham, OTIB cannot deal with facts.

Loads wanted him out, some were saying be careful what you wish for

Promotion

Play off final 

10th

10th

Brilliant manager for us. Comparing even to Cotts who I like, Promotion then 22nd in the Champ and the guy is some kind of hero but Johnson's legacy gets absolutely battered on here.

1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

I think many in here view the GJ era through rose-tinted goggles.

Most fans were calling for him to go. After initial success, and a play-off campaign built on belief, we started to rot from within.

Rotten squad, lousy football, bizarre signings and zero youth development.

Took years to recover.

A victim of his own success in many ways.

The fact we took years to recover after he left is far from his fault, it was a serious of poor managerial appointments and in general the club being a complete shambles behind the scenes. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

The club not wanting to portray themselves negatively - hence the ‘mutual consent’ smokescreen. Most of us know why he was sacked - something along the lines of gross misconduct but it was over a decade ago so doesn’t really matter now.

I thought that he gave you a wedgie, and made you cry?

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

What you say about the developed Ashton Gate is true, but then wages and transfer fees were a lot lower then as well.

What did GJ pay for Magic Daps? Wasn't it something like a million quid and a rumoured 9k a week.

That wouldn't even get you a Marley Watkins today.

4 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

You didn’t happen to travel in a minibus full of rovers fans did you?

9 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Some rotten eggs in that squad alright - they should have been got rid of rather than GJ.

Yes. I have sympathy with that view. GJ was a no nonsense manager that is a fact. However it seemed yet another player revolt undermined him, even though some of it he brought on himself. Basso and the contract thing, Ivan Sproule and what ever the hell went on, Carey going to SL, Maynard and Hartley could not go quick enough etc etc. 

I have always thought LJ was in a way to make amends for not backing GJ by SL. 

We ground out results in a way that Pearson wants now in the PO season and we were screwed on the day by McComb being ill. 

We have been relegated since and had to rebuild yet again as our expectations were increased after the 2008 season. There we are. We are Bristol City. A club with a storied history of drunks, smokers, hangers on, local celebs, whiners and “footballers” 

25 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

What you say about the developed Ashton Gate is true, but then wages and transfer fees were a lot lower then as well.

What did GJ pay for Magic Daps? Wasn't it something like a million quid and a rumoured 9k a week.

About three Tillsons.

45 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Facts? Left a legacy of a rotten squad and under-developed youth system. Still recovering today.

Still recovering today? I know Danny Haynes wasn't great but it seems harsh to blame him for the last 11 years.

He was great for us and probably my fondest memories of properly following the team as I haven't been the last few years. It ran its course definitely and it's often the case that managers can't fully transition a squad so no harm done. He should always be welcome back here. 

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Trundle was a poor signing but we were shocked at wages & fees demanded for strikers that summer.

He did also sign Marvin Elliott for £100k that summer though, so if you take a balanced view, Marv was probably worth Trundle’s fee & Trundle was worth Elliott’s..

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Yes. I have sympathy with that view. GJ was a no nonsense manager that is a fact. However it seemed yet another player revolt undermined him, even though some of it he brought on himself. Basso and the contract thing, Ivan Sproule and what ever the hell went on, Carey going to SL, Maynard and Hartley could not go quick enough etc etc. 

I have always thought LJ was in a way to make amends for not backing GJ by SL. 

We ground out results in a way that Pearson wants now in the PO season and we were screwed on the day by McComb being ill. 

We have been relegated since and had to rebuild yet again as our expectations were increased after the 2008 season. There we are. We are Bristol City. A club with a storied history of drunks, smokers, hangers on, local celebs, whiners and “footballers” 

I think the argument with Ivan Sproule killed him here. Obviously it's all conjecture but the common consensus was that of all the players he should get into some sort of fight with it really shouldn't have been Sproule. In a normal dressing room "ruck" (and they happen more often than many people might think) you would always have your players that side with the player, other players who think he's a nob and side with the Manager and many who are ambivalent and just stay out of it. For pretty much a whole dressing room to turn against a Manager in those circumstances, particularly one who has achieved relative success, and cause him to be fired the next day takes some doing....................

32 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I think the argument with Ivan Sproule killed him here. Obviously it's all conjecture but the common consensus was that of all the players he should get into some sort of fight with it really shouldn't have been Sproule. In a normal dressing room "ruck" (and they happen more often than many people might think) you would always have your players that side with the player, other players who think he's a nob and side with the Manager and many who are ambivalent and just stay out of it. For pretty much a whole dressing room to turn against a Manager in those circumstances, particularly one who has achieved relative success, and cause him to be fired the next day takes some doing....................

Yes I agree. I don’t know with certainty any details but the fact that nothing was denied and the sequence of events that followed was so marked says a lot. 

It seems like a knee jerk based upon other semi related factors. Either way I’m still and always will be convinced that the eventual upshot was LJ!

38 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Wasn't GJ at the press conference about his own sacking? Or did I dream that?

Archived