IGNORED

Danny Simpson

pl00peh91

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

What a very strange signing. For what end ? He's finished as a player, and not even a left back. Pearson must have wanted it , and may have his reasons. But for 8 games, a total waste of time. Unless he thinks he will replace Hunt (OOC) next season. But again , he is at career end, and no way is playing at this level for a season next year. Weird. Some things never change. 

Or maybe he is looking at him as a coaching option for next season?

36 minutes ago, Banned User said:

Can only assume he's being brought in to fit in with how Pearson wants us to set up, ideal in getting us playing in Pearsons 'right way', and we'll get a better alternative next season. 

Very good point.

Perhaps Pring/Rowe/Nurse aren’t quite ready? Perhaps there’s no point in risking a reoccurrence so late in the season? Perhaps Jack Hunt needs a rest? Or perhaps he’s just completely fed up with Jack Hunt passing to the opposition. Who knows, but I’m sure there’s a good reason for it.

It’s also funny how age is viewed nowadays in terms of footballers. He’s 34, not 54. Vardy is also 34, we’d take him.

Like any signings we make regardless of age, some work, some don’t but there have been plenty older players who have come in and done a job - Wilbraham, Wade Elliott, Millen, Shaun Taylor even Ashley Williams and Mariappa since moving to CB done a reasonable job. 

On 18/03/2021 at 18:37, Greedo said:

jesus

8 hours ago, Robin101 said:

What on Earth would be the point in this? 

I wonder if it’s more to do with footballing character to show the others what is the minimum and help them change mindsets etc. 

looking at the football side of things only here not his complete cuntyness away from the day job. 

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Mariappa is 34.

And has been immense playing CB the last few games. 

Against Birmingham, I remember thinking that I have barely heard his name by the commentary during the 1st half which is impressive as that implies he didn't have to do anything spectacular to be able to defend well.

The commentator was banging on about Kalas winning headers and throwing himself in front of everything, whereas Mariappa didn't need to do any of that because positionally he was excellent. 

Out of all our (fit) CB's this season, I wouldn't be surprised if Kalas would choose AM to partner him over anyone else.

More than worth another years contract IMO.

7 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Presumably you would give a shit if it was your sister or daughter being strangled by her partner?

Surprised SL is sanctioning this signing. We're not in contention to go up or down and at 34 he is surely not the future .  ..so why? Add in his history and it doesn't make sense.

Good point, when you factor in the Luke Ayling Gate episode, looks like Nigel is testing his authority to make his own decisions? 

4 hours ago, marcofisher said:

And looked awfully off the pace at full back! 

Whilst being played out of position, and not having played any football for a while before coming to us.

Add that to his age, and you'd look off the pace as well!!

5 hours ago, RED4LIFE said:

Against Birmingham, I remember thinking that I have barely heard his name by the commentary during the 1st half which is impressive as that implies he didn't have to do anything spectacular to be able to defend well.

The commentator was banging on about Kalas winning headers and throwing himself in front of everything, whereas Mariappa didn't need to do any of that because positionally he was excellent. 

Out of all our (fit) CB's this season, I wouldn't be surprised if Kalas would choose AM to partner him over anyone else.

Wouldn't be surprised if we do give him an extra year, as he really has looked a great player since being moved into his natural position.

Has also worked with Pearson before at Watford, so is a player that he can trust.

8 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Sometimes the bollocks on this forum almost beggars belief.

At least I suppose Henri can take a break from being...   what was the crime again, being too good looking or something at least as pathetic

Lansbury was criticised for being a bit of a ‘ prima donna ‘ before playing and then for his performances which didn’t seem to have merited his signing. 

In fairness, he has got up to speed and those critics are less vocal.

None of which compares to the unsavoury and thoroughly unpleasant episode involving Simpson.

8 hours ago, Kibs said:

Perhaps Pring/Rowe/Nurse aren’t quite ready? Perhaps there’s no point in risking a reoccurrence so late in the season? Perhaps Jack Hunt needs a rest? Or perhaps he’s just completely fed up with Jack Hunt passing to the opposition. Who knows, but I’m sure there’s a good reason for it.

It’s also funny how age is viewed nowadays in terms of footballers. He’s 34, not 54. Vardy is also 34, we’d take him.

Like any signings we make regardless of age, some work, some don’t but there have been plenty older players who have come in and done a job - Wilbraham, Wade Elliott, Millen, Shaun Taylor even Ashley Williams and Mariappa since moving to CB done a reasonable job. 

I have no problem how old a player is, you always need a bit of experience in a spine of a team. It doesn't matter if their 22 or 32, if their 22 and doing well we would sell them anyway, if the right offer came in. If a couple of 33 year olds got us promoted we would be happy for them to stay a year or two and would be looking to replace them in the future. I think a footballer in his 30's today is a different kettle of fish to the one of say 20-30 years ago due to pitches, fitness and diet etc.

I don't get the signing at all unless as someone else posted, it's entirely about NP testing the water in terms of getting what he wants when it comes to signing players.   

With regard to his conviction, that's the point.  He's been convicted of an offence (even though the victim didn't support the prosecution).  He's been dealt with by the Criminal Justice system.  Only he and his ex will now the true nature of their relationship and what exactly went on.    Whereas I am uncomfortable with a player being a 'wife beater', the man maintains the right to work.    

Looking from the outside the signing of Simpson does seem to be against the ethos of the club. Good humans etc. However I would make two caveats.

1. None of us know the details of his conviction and the basis of the criminal justice system is that when you have served your “sentence “ you are reintegrated into society and have the right to work.

2. NP is by far a greater judge of what he needs in the club to build success than I am. (Although when the honeymoon period is over I will probably have the arrogance to question his methods!)

INIT (In Nigel I Trust)

10 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I don't get the signing at all unless as someone else posted, it's entirely about NP testing the water in terms of getting what he wants when it comes to signing players.   

With regard to his conviction, that's the point.  He's been convicted of an offence (even though the victim didn't support the prosecution).  He's been dealt with by the Criminal Justice system.  Only he and his ex will now the true nature of their relationship and what exactly went on.    Whereas I am uncomfortable with a player being a 'wife beater', the man maintains the right to work.    

I’m very conflicted by this whole issue, with reference to your last point, as of course if a sentence has been served then people deserve another chance to do a job they are capable of doing. And In football terms it’s obviously up to Pearson. But I can’t help but feel this decision, for both the club and Pearson, in the week there has been a mass protest about male on female violence, is really tone deaf. Make no mistake we’re going to get a lot of publicity when it’s confirmed and it won’t be positive.

8 hours ago, RED4LIFE said:

Spot on.

Said last week of the 16 or so who are out of contract he is probably in the top 2 or 3 most likely to get offered a contract now.

My views on Simpson are clear by now but you certainly don’t want a defensive group with too many 34 year olds & so Mariappa is enough for me.

9 minutes ago, HappyClapper said:

Looking from the outside the signing of Simpson does seem to be against the ethos of the club. Good humans etc. However I would make two caveats.

1. None of us know the details of his conviction and the basis of the criminal justice system is that when you have served your “sentence “ you are reintegrated into society and have the right to work.

2. NP is by far a greater judge of what he needs in the club to build success than I am. (Although when the honeymoon period is over I will probably have the arrogance to question his methods!)

INIT (In Nigel I Trust)

Transfer ethos? He’s the eighth player over 30 the club have signed in the past 18 months or so.

There is no “ethos”.

1 minute ago, The Journalist said:

Transfer ethos? He’s the eighth player over 30 the club have signed in the past 18 months or so.

There is no “ethos”.

I get your point, although I do understand the desire to add some experience to the squad in the summer (although it didn’t work out). I deliberately didn’t mention age, but was talking more about the “good humans” side of our recruitment that has been talked up by MA etc.

1 hour ago, HappyClapper said:

INIT (In Nigel I Trust)

I think the ethos changed slightly a year or so ago. The profit we make in the transfer market now, I think, has to come from academy youngsters, much more so than bargains from abroad. Possibly Brexit influenced. But that’s going to require younger less experienced players in the side, and hence, I think, the greater willingness to sign experience too. I think we’ve done it too much, and patchily, but that’s why.

Its the apparent change to the “right DNA” that’s what worries me about this one. 

2 hours ago, HappyClapper said:

I get your point, although I do understand the desire to add some experience to the squad in the summer (although it didn’t work out). I deliberately didn’t mention age, but was talking more about the “good humans” side of our recruitment that has been talked up by MA etc.

Which is why Simpson makes absolutely no sense as he's not even a "good human". 

2 hours ago, The Bard said:

Yep he can as long as its not here. 

5 hours ago, Taz said:

Whilst being played out of position, and not having played any football for a while before coming to us.

Add that to his age, and you'd look off the pace as well!!

This was my point, you can get away with being that age at centre back where Mariappa has been very impressive.

Full back, not so sure.

Archived