IGNORED

Danny Simpson

pl00peh91

11 hours ago, RED4LIFE said:

And has been immense playing CB the last few games. 

Against Birmingham, I remember thinking that I have barely heard his name by the commentary during the 1st half which is impressive as that implies he didn't have to do anything spectacular to be able to defend well.

The commentator was banging on about Kalas winning headers and throwing himself in front of everything, whereas Mariappa didn't need to do any of that because positionally he was excellent. 

Out of all our (fit) CB's this season, I wouldn't be surprised if Kalas would choose AM to partner him over anyone else.

More than worth another years contract IMO.

Indeed he has.  I thought he had no chance of being here next season, but boy has he been good at CB.  Often it’s about partnerships and I think he’s eased the burden on Kalas, but doing all the organising.

11 hours ago, marcofisher said:

And looked awfully off the pace at full back! 

Indeed he did.  Chalk and cheese with him at RCB in a two with Kalas.

3 hours ago, The Journalist said:

Transfer ethos? He’s the eighth player over 30 the club have signed in the past 18 months or so.

There is no “ethos”.

I don’t think you can make that call until we see what NP does in the summer.

Once you look into the details of his case, I’m not sure how anyone can choose to support him coming to the club tbh. Also puts to bed any argument that SL wanted Ayling gone for Cheltenham-gate. Either that or he’s had a real compass shift in 5 years!

People who say they couldn’t care less what he’s like off the pitch if he performs on it makes me sick. For me supporting City is all about pride, I feel proud to support my local club, I feel proud when I see local youngsters come up through the academy, I feel proud that we have an owner who is a local businessmen who genuinely cares about the area. I want my club to be built on integrity. Signing overpaid arseholes with zero moral fibre does not make me feel proud to support city. I couldn’t care less if he helps us win a few games, get the fork out of our club. 

Classic Nige signing, a real experienced pro that he will feel can do a job if needed but is probably more around the place for his professionalism. I have no idea if he's still up to the level. Wes Morgan hasn't been up to regular PL football for over 2 years now but we keep giving him a contract because of what else he offers. I'd have Simpson around just to teach every other full-back down right down through the academy how to defend the back post. But that you have so many over 30 already is a bit of a problem. 

Fair enough, people can be opposed to it based on his personal history and use that to judge him as a person now, depending on your principles. I'd see it as he did something awful that he shouldn't have, he's served the punishment handed to him for that and not to hold it against him without any further knowledge of the chap. But from the perspective of being around the club day-to-day, Pearson knows full well what he can offer and that he was part of the core dynamic at Leicester for a time.

18 minutes ago, Ostrich said:

Classic Nige signing, a real experienced pro that he will feel can do a job if needed but is probably more around the place for his professionalism. I have no idea if he's still up to the level. Wes Morgan hasn't been up to regular PL football for over 2 years now but we keep giving him a contract because of what else he offers. I'd have Simpson around just to teach every other full-back down right down through the academy how to defend the back post. But that you have so many over 30 already is a bit of a problem. 

Fair enough, people can be opposed to it based on his personal history and use that to judge him as a person now, depending on your principles. I'd see it as he did something awful that he shouldn't have, he's served the punishment handed to him for that and not to hold it against him without any further knowledge of the chap. But from the perspective of being around the club day-to-day, Pearson knows full well what he can offer and that he was part of the core dynamic at Leicester for a time.

That was my initial view, but when you do a bit more digging and see he tried to distance himself from any blame (even tried to convince a policeman he imagined what he saw) and repeatedly complained about the backlash/community service  he got until he a far reduced penalty. Doesn’t seem like he has any remorse for any of it which doesn’t sit well by me tbh

20 hours ago, GrahamC said:

“Quite genius” what does that even mean?

quite
/kwʌɪt/

adverb
  1. 1. 
    to the utmost or most absolute extent or degree; absolutely; completely.
    "it's quite out of the question"

to a certain or fairly significant extent or degree; fairly.
      "it's quite warm outside

English Language Learners Definition of genius

: a very smart or talented person : a person who has a level of talent or intelligence that is very rare or remarkable. : a person who is very good at doing something. : great natural ability : remarkable talent or intelligence.

I reckon this signing is a test from nige to see whether  uncle Steve is going to back him and whether he has control over ashton. Nige will know that the board vetoed a left back for Holden so will want to know he has control.

the signing is clearly pointless given we have nothing to play for and nige is testing the board, if they back him for a pointless signing he knows they will back him when it matters.

given it looks like they are passing the test I can see nige signing a long term deal-which is great news 

On 19/03/2021 at 23:12, RedNachos said:

Just stick a right-back from the u23s on if we need to

Well you have 2 options there, one has limited experience of playing in National League South and the other is 16/17 so physically not ready. The more likely option would be Towler playing LB and Sessegnon moving over to RB.

On 18/03/2021 at 19:13, Kibs said:

Encouraged that it hasn’t taken NP long to realise it’s impossible to maintain any type of ball possession with Jack Hunt in your team.

Am genuinely starting to question whether he might be colour blind. 

What a load of bollocks that is, he played in one of the best possession sides I’ve seen at this level prior to joining us.

On 19/03/2021 at 13:10, spudski said:

She sounds like a right basket case too.

Wanted a baby from him after the assault. Was willing to sleep with him but if he didn't want to, then would take artificial insemination ??? wtf...some right nutters out there.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4098822/Premier-League-star-Danny-Simpson-s-ex-says-ll-drop-maintenance-demands-against-agrees-baby.html

Daily mail and the source is “a friend of Simpson” ...

7 hours ago, Lenners said:

What a load of bollocks that is, he played in one of the best possession sides I’ve seen at this level prior to joining us.

Sorry, thought it would be obvious that I’m talking about Jack Hunt at Bristol City in 2021.  

I couldn’t give a flying xxxx what he did 5 or years ago. It’s completely irrelevant.

Nicky Hunt was playing 35 games a season in an established premiership team 5 years before he joined us. 

12 hours ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

I reckon this signing is a test from nige to see whether  uncle Steve is going to back him and whether he has control over ashton. Nige will know that the board vetoed a left back for Holden so will want to know he has control.

the signing is clearly pointless given we have nothing to play for and nige is testing the board, if they back him for a pointless signing he knows they will back him when it matters.

given it looks like they are passing the test I can see nige signing a long term deal-which is great news 

I 100% agree with that opening sentence. 

On 19/03/2021 at 18:50, Top Robin said:

It does if he is a better fullback than any of them.

Seasons over though.

20 hours ago, Bobbie said:

People who say they couldn’t care less what he’s like off the pitch if he performs on it makes me sick. For me supporting City is all about pride, I feel proud to support my local club, I feel proud when I see local youngsters come up through the academy, I feel proud that we have an owner who is a local businessmen who genuinely cares about the area. I want my club to be built on integrity. Signing overpaid arseholes with zero moral fibre does not make me feel proud to support city. I couldn’t care less if he helps us win a few games, get the fork out of our club. 

I’m only reluctant to judge Simpson too much as I know from personal experience a very good friend who made some stupid mistakes and landed himself in prison. People can change, and one or two severe incidents shouldn’t necessarily define someone.

that said, it’s bad timing and as others have said he didn’t seem to respect his punishment.

For why he’s being brought in, the only thing that makes sense to me is maybe he can play in the style NP wants that will enable him to get more out of the players around him and see if they’ve got what he wants for next season. Hunts been pretty poor for a few games now constantly giving away possession, if Simpson comes in and gives NP one less headache and delivers the ball into areas he wants to see or relieves someone else from doing too much covering for hunts frailties than that may explain it 

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Seasons over though.

I’m only reluctant to judge Simpson too much as I know from personal experience a very good friend who made some stupid mistakes and landed himself in prison. People can change, and one or two severe incidents shouldn’t necessarily define someone.

that said, it’s bad timing and as others have said he didn’t seem to respect his punishment.

For why he’s being brought in, the only thing that makes sense to me is maybe he can play in the style NP wants that will enable him to get more out of the players around him and see if they’ve got what he wants for next season. Hunts been pretty poor for a few games now constantly giving away possession, if Simpson comes in and gives NP one less headache and delivers the ball into areas he wants to see or relieves someone else from doing too much covering for hunts frailties than that may explain it 

Someone else posted this, and you’re right, if DS at RB enables him to see how the others shape-up, then that is a benefit.

On all the other things, no thanks.

23 hours ago, petehinton said:

Once you look into the details of his case, I’m not sure how anyone can choose to support him coming to the club tbh. Also puts to bed any argument that SL wanted Ayling gone for Cheltenham-gate. Either that or he’s had a real compass shift in 5 years!

I think they key difference with the Ayling situation was that he was our player when it happened, Simpson wasn't. Then again, Lansdown stood by Brooker/Partridge/Brown etc when they were jailed a few years ago so there is some inconsistency albeit about 15 years previous. 

We also don't know if that's why he left do we?

Maybe Lansdown had words with him, wanted him to do community work etc, and Ayling told him where to shove it. 

Might not even be related to Cheltenham, could've been a clause, anything. 

What I don't understand, Cheltenham or not, why just let him go for so little. Wether you want someone out the door in a month or in an hour, you don't just drop a million, several million, however much, off of the price tag do you? 

1 minute ago, Banned User said:

Maybe Lansdown had words with him, wanted him to do community work etc, and Ayling told him where to shove it. 

What I don't understand, Cheltenham or not, why just let him go for so little. Wether you want someone out the door in a month or in an hour, you don't just drop a million, several million, however much, off of the price tag do you? 

We also only know about the Cheltenham incident. For all we know, there may have been other issues that never reached the public domain.

Not suggesting anything remotely as serious, but look at the example of Sesay last week. No one knew anything about that and it sounded like that had been dragging on for a while. 

These sort of signings are to get us over the line given the injuries. I wouldn't read too much in to this being an ethos or lack of one right now.  In a few weeks, they'll all have left (maybe apart from AM).

Given the state of the squad and the transfer activity that's going to be required at the end of the season, I think we can then start to judge Nigel's (if he stays) and the Clubs plans from then.

On 21/03/2021 at 11:44, Banned User said:

It was a few years ago, and memory isn’t what it was! But I’m not sure that he was ever a nailed on regular for us at the time, and I also recollect transfer fees being a little lower generally back then. As I say, may just be memory playing tricks......

Archived