IGNORED

Danny Simpson

pl00peh91

57 minutes ago, DaveF said:

BP saying the signing is set to be confirmed within 24 hours:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-former-leicester-defender-5230402

It's not as if we desperately needed a right back in for 8 games or the squad needed strengthening to avoid relegation or clinch a play off spot - so this signing is purely based on assessing Simpson ahead of signing him up for next season. His real trial starts as a contracted player.

Positive news and suggests Nige is going to be here longer term ?

I think it’s simple. We are shit at defending. The goals against don’t lie. Pearson knows Simpson and the bloke has a Premier League title on his CV. 

Will he be here next season. Wtfk. However I would not be thinking he’s going to get a two month contract when it’s announced. But it may be dependent on Pearson still being here. Six week deals can be negotiated pretty quickly normally. 

34 minutes ago, ollywhyte said:

It's not as if we desperately needed a right back in for 8 games or the squad needed strengthening to avoid relegation or clinch a play off spot - so this signing is purely based on assessing Simpson ahead of signing him up for next season. His real trial starts as a contracted player.

Not sure this is positive news.

23 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He's a very good defender, and I think is actually not bad in the air too, which we need more of. 

Was a very good defender.

Why he has been released by Huddersfield and without a club this season worries me.

Will be out with a hamstring injury within days of signing.

More relevantly it could just be a short term view as Pearson wants to try out certain systems or see how other players react / link up with a Simpson type full back.

2 hours ago, ollywhyte said:

I see it slightly differently. Simpson is 34 and I'm reading it less as a sign that Simpson is what Pearson wants for next season but more that Jack Hunt is really not what Pearson wants right now. 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

He's a very good defender, and I think is actually not bad in the air too, which we need more of. 

Could be defensive full back one side in Simpson or maybe Mariappa next season, and then attacking full back other side in Dasilva or Pring. 

would personally keep Mariappa at CB where he's been doing well and have Simpson as a more defensive rb  if he stays longer then get a replacement for hunt in summer who is quicker and better going forward , we need attacking full backs on both sides not just one side 

1 hour ago, Selred said:

Was a very good defender.

Why he has been released by Huddersfield and without a club this season worries me.

Why does it worry you ? 
I see it as , here’s here for 8 games. We’re not going up or down . It’s possible as others have suggested he’s here to change the mentality within the dressing room more than anything. We’re passive & even weak mentally . That needs to change & will be the most interesting aspect imo along with how we set up for the rest of the season . Could be pivotal in how we go into  next preseason . 

Someone made a good point earlier in this thread that perhaps NP has decided Hunt isn’t what he wants going forward, but by playing Hunt, NP can’t see how other players would perform in the system he wants to deploy.  So bring in Simpson, who knows exactly what NP wants, and therefore help NP evaluate the current squad better.

I would imagine Huddersfield couldn’t offer what DS wanted, either wages, length or both.

For us it’s basically 8 weeks pay with no strings attached.

4 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Having had a little time today, went back to look at what Simpson did when at Leicester and as you say he is a strong defender by reading what various sources say. I am assuming NP wants a defensive back 4 first and foremost, rather than full backs who are wing backs. Hunt will not be here next season. He may get a year out of Simpson, who knows. May cause us to look at the left side of course, where JD is rather injury prone, and defending not his strong suit. I would expect a left back signing too. 

Injuries I agree are an issue, but JD is very solid defensively. Height aside I can’t see any obvious “flaws” in his game.

I hope this means NP has identified that our defensive issues are in the full-back positions. We've had good CBs for a while but they spend their time getting pummelled with crosses which the full-backs fail to stop. It's felt like this for a few years imo so hope he can change that. 

Pearson said: “He offers us experience, know-how and, for someone who is in his 30s now, he still has that appetite to play. We have ability in our ranks and a bright future with our young players but it’s about striking the balance with the know-how in game situations.

“I know Danny well, he’s had an excellent career with his exposure in the Premier League so it’s a real positive to make this addition at this point in the season.”

7 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Injuries I agree are an issue, but JD is very solid defensively. Height aside I can’t see any obvious “flaws” in his game.

I believe in second chances, I respect he's served his sentence, and I don't think the conviction is a reason not to sign him at all. However, I do think the club need to explain how they reconcile his signing with the following from when we joined the Women's Aid Football United campaign in 2014:

Bristol City manager Steve Cotterill said:

Bristol City is a community club and we take the welfare of our supporters, players and staff very seriously. That’s why we have signed up to the Football United Against Domestic Violence campaign to send a clear message that domestic violence cannot be tolerated or accepted in any shape or form. Hopefully our club can play an important role in raising awareness by talking about an issue that is often hidden away behind closed doors.

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I believe in second chances, I respect he's served his sentence, and I don't think the conviction is a reason not to sign him at all. However, I do think the club need to explain how they reconcile his signing with the following from when we joined the Women's Aid Football United campaign in 2014:

Bristol City manager Steve Cotterill said:

Bristol City is a community club and we take the welfare of our supporters, players and staff very seriously. That’s why we have signed up to the Football United Against Domestic Violence campaign to send a clear message that domestic violence cannot be tolerated or accepted in any shape or form. Hopefully our club can play an important role in raising awareness by talking about an issue that is often hidden away behind closed doors.

He didn’t serve his sentence though. He consistently complained about it, complained about the paparazzi, complained that the hours he was given wouldn’t work around their pre season tour, until the punishment was watered down to a curfew for 3 weeks. That was after trying to convince the policeman who saw him strangling his partner that he was ‘imagining it’. 

I’m all for second chances, but only when you can see the learning remorse from the incident. He’s shown none. It’s a real struggle to see how any of the women at the club willl be comfortable working with/for him, and for any fan to support him fully. 

And that’s before you even get the idea it’s a 2 month deal, maybe extending to a 12 month one thereafter!

Archived