IGNORED

Danny Simpson

pl00peh91

12 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I believe in second chances, I respect he's served his sentence, and I don't think the conviction is a reason not to sign him at all. However, I do think the club need to explain how they reconcile his signing with the following from when we joined the Women's Aid Football United campaign in 2014:

Bristol City manager Steve Cotterill said:

Bristol City is a community club and we take the welfare of our supporters, players and staff very seriously. That’s why we have signed up to the Football United Against Domestic Violence campaign to send a clear message that domestic violence cannot be tolerated or accepted in any shape or form. Hopefully our club can play an important role in raising awareness by talking about an issue that is often hidden away behind closed doors.

I agree. I think for me it's about taking responsibility and showing accountability. That's doesn't necessarily mean refusing to sign a player who has a criminal conviction for domestic violence under any circumstances but, as you say, it does mean not hiding from it and making a very clear public statement on why they've decided to sign a player with this conviction and how it aligns with our supposed values, especially when - as @petehintonsays just above - Simpson appears to have taken no responsibility whatsoever for his actions. 

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

He didn’t serve his sentence though. He consistently complained about it, complained about the paparazzi, complained that the hours he was given wouldn’t work around their pre season tour, until the punishment was watered down to a curfew for 3 weeks. That was after trying to convince the policeman who saw him strangling his partner that he was ‘imagining it’. 

I know this. But, in the end, as I understand, he served whatever the courts ended up giving him. Blame a clever lawyer, blame a poorly drafted set of sentencing guidelines with too much wriggle room, blame a judge at a 4pm Friday hearing who just wants to go home. It doesn't really matter why, but he served his curfew.

I’m all for second chances, but only when you can see the learning remorse from the incident. He’s shown none. It’s a real struggle to see how any of the women at the club willl be comfortable working with/for him, and for any fan to support him fully. 

Agree, and that's why the club need to address it.

And that’s before you even get the idea it’s a 2 month deal, maybe extending to a 12 month one thereafter!

Well yeh it doesn't make sense footballing-wise either.

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

I agree. I think for me it's about taking responsibility and showing accountability. That's doesn't necessarily mean refusing to sign a player who has a criminal conviction for domestic violence under any circumstances but, as you say, it does mean not hiding from it and making a very clear public statement on why they've decided to sign a player with this conviction and how it aligns with our supposed values, especially when - as @petehintonsays just above - Simpson appears to have taken no responsibility whatsoever for his actions. 

Agreed. If in 2014 the club were serious about "play an important role in raising awareness by talking about an issue that is often hidden away behind closed doors." Then why not use this opportunity to raise awareness by addressing the issue.

https://t.co/kK8ZP

44 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Injuries I agree are an issue, but JD is very solid defensively. Height aside I can’t see any obvious “flaws” in his game.

31 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I believe in second chances, I respect he's served his sentence, and I don't think the conviction is a reason not to sign him at all. However, I do think the club need to explain how they reconcile his signing with the following from when we joined the Women's Aid Football United campaign in 2014:

Bristol City manager Steve Cotterill said:

Bristol City is a community club and we take the welfare of our supporters, players and staff very seriously. That’s why we have signed up to the Football United Against Domestic Violence campaign to send a clear message that domestic violence cannot be tolerated or accepted in any shape or form. Hopefully our club can play an important role in raising awareness by talking about an issue that is often hidden away behind closed doors.

I hope Gregor Mc asks the club about this, and asks Simpson about what he thinks about his conviction.

4 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

https://t.co/kK8ZP

I hope Gregor Mc asks the club about this, and asks Simpson about what he thinks about his conviction.

Honestly, I think that asking Pearson or Simpson is pointless. All McGregor would get in response is "That is in the past and I'm just here to concentrate on the football" or similar.

This is one for the Lansdowns and/or Ashton. They don't have to say much, but 7 years ago the Club committed to partnership with a leading Women's charity. That charity has now effectively decided that we are no longer aligned with it, because of this signing. Silence on that is tacit acceptance of it by the club. So, we're not a family club, and we're not serious about violence against women. It needs to be addressed and explained.

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

A shameful day for Bristol City Football Club. 

Thing is, I don't think it needs to be. It's an opportunity to discuss the subject, to actually lead the conversation on it. Sesay is shameful, but this could be about atonement, second chances, remorse and education. There's no need for it to be a day of shame.

10 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Thing is, I don't think it needs to be. It's an opportunity to discuss the subject, to actually lead the conversation on it. Sesay is shameful, but this could be about atonement, second chances, remorse and education. There's no need for it to be a day of shame.

For that to happen Simpson will need to make a statement showing remorse for starters. Let’s see if he does 

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Honestly, I think that asking Pearson or Simpson is pointless. All McGregor would get in response is "That is in the past and I'm just here to concentrate on the football" or similar.

This is one for the Lansdowns and/or Ashton. They don't have to say much, but 7 years ago the Club committed to partnership with a leading Women's charity. That charity has now effectively decided that we are no longer aligned with it, because of this signing. Silence on that is tacit acceptance of it by the club. So, we're not a family club, and we're not serious about violence against women. It needs to be addressed and explained.

Ok but somebody needs to ask the question and the media seem the best placed to do it, given the club appears presently to be not even acknowledging there’s an issue. 

And  I’d still ask Pearson about it regardless of the likely stock answer 

14 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I like the sentiment but think is very optimistic. But anything is better than silence.

19 minutes ago, Waffleflap said:

Decent right back .  People make mistakes when pissed up and I'm sure he regretted everything he done to his partner at the time. I dont condone it mind 

I'm sure he regretted getting caught. As to the offence he's shown no remorse or taken any responsibility for his actions and sought to use his wealth to avoid serving his punishment - and succeeded! 

The signing of Simpson and the lack of any comment or explanation by the club - given it's previous virtue signalling by signing up to the Women's Aid campaign against DV is very disappointing.

Surely we are better than this.

There are other right backs.

13 minutes ago, Harry said:

Rapist goalkeepers one week. 
Domestic abusing right backs the next. 
Add an anti-vax striker. 
When are we signing Ched Evans? 

Ched Evans was found ‘not guilty’ in his alleged rape trial - immoral and highly questionable behaviour does not mean he committed a crime. It was a very distasteful episode but for you to insinuate on a public platform that he is guilty of a serious offence is a bit reckless - you can read more here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-37659009

19 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

had

19 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Ayling wasn't sold because of that. Ayling was behind Matthews who we had signed on loan for the season. Ayling only had a year left on his contract and had 3 clubs after him. He was not going to get much playing time Mark Ashton said at the time so they sold him to Leeds. Otherwise we'd have got an even smaller fee in January or nothing at all at the end of the season. 

The selling Ayling because his mate had a piss was always a silly theory imo. But it seems to have become a fact on here! ?

You can believe what you like. Personally I think being pictured on the front pages of all the tabloids watching his mate piss in a glass wasn’t a career enhancing move on his part. 

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Ched Evans was found ‘not guilty’ in his alleged rape trial - immoral and highly questionable behaviour does not mean he committed a crime. It was a very distasteful episode but for you to insinuate on a public platform that he is guilty of a serious offence is a bit reckless - you can read more here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-37659009

iT wAsN’t SeRiOuS 

Just now, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair enough, you were ‘joking’ but I’m sure you wouldn’t be happy if people insinuated you were guilty of committing a serious offence on social media platforms for years after you’d been found not guilty ... anyway, have a good Friday evening H ...

I’m sure he’s had worse ?

7 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

If he was a serial abuser then I might have a different opinion- as far as I know it was a one off drunken incident. We all make stupid decisions (not condoning, forgiving)

Domestic abuse victims are often abused and assaulted many, many times before they have the courage to call for help either from the police or a support organisation.

On average a domestic abuse victim would suffer 35 incidents of abuse / violence before calling the police for help (this figure is from memory 10 years old, it is probably higher now). 
Domestic violence victims will often be controlled and coerced emotionally and financially (not just physically) so serial abuse in a domestic violence context is not always easy to identify or prosecute. 

Domestic abuse perpetrators often attempt to minimise their behaviour and actions by blaming alcohol, drugs, upbringing, or anything else to deflect responsibility and/or blame the victim. 

Archived