IGNORED

Danny Simpson

pl00peh91

3 minutes ago, Vespa Red said:

Now, come on @BS4 on Tour....  You're letting your standards for precision slip here aren't you.  Of the players you cite, maybe only Clayton Blackmore played in the Premier League.  Yes, they are all players from clubs that are or have been in the Premier League.  But not at the time.

Tut tut...

Thanks Vesp - but I disagree - Clayton Blackmore won the premier league - he didn’t just play in it - and your reply smacks of someone who clearly thinks football only started in 1992 - I just can’t agree with that mentality - the top division in this country is the top division in this country - always will be - why can’t you acknowledge all the many “premier league” winners who have graced our club’s colours? 

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Thanks Vesp - but I disagree - Clayton Blackmore won the premier league - he didn’t just play in it - and your reply smacks of someone who clearly thinks football only started in 1992 - I just can’t agree with that mentality - the top division in this country is the top division in this country - always will be - why can’t you acknowledge all the many “premier league” winners who have graced our club’s colours? 

Oh no: you're quite wrong there @BS4 on Tour... you mischievous little minx you.  I am very much of the school that knows that football is football.  Sadly branding (remember that ? ) disagrees.

By your same token, we have therefore been a "PL club".  I'll take that because it means that I can throw that back in the face of my Cardiff City mates who often quote the Premier League stat about us never having been there.  

33 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I don't think he'll take any notice whatsoever of any pontifications on here or "social" media. 

NP has stamped his authority with this signing as I can't see Ashton or SL being "over the moon" with the predictable, albeit short lived, negative PR that will come with it.

In that respect, I'd agree that is a very ballsy signing.

NOT commenting on the rights or wrongs of signing Danny Simpson but, you can be absolutely and categorically certain that it happened with SL’s agreement.

Nige may well be the manager and not the HC,but SL calls all the shots and that is never going to change as long as he owns the club.

11 minutes ago, Vespa Red said:

Oh no: you're quite wrong there @BS4 on Tour... you mischievous little minx you.  I am very much of the school that knows that football is football.  Sadly branding (remember that ? ) disagrees.

By your same token, we have therefore been a "PL club".  I'll take that because it means that I can throw that back in the face of my Cardiff City mates who often quite the Premier League stat about us never having been there.  

Yep, we’ve been at the top level - so we deserve to be acknowledged as a top club! I once stopped a Liverpool fan in his tracks when on hols in some Mediterranean hell hole back in the glory days - got chatting to some scousers, one asked me who I supported, I proudly announced Bristol City before he began a tirade of abuse about how “shite” we are - so I calmly asked him “what is your highest ever league finish?” - he obviously wanged on about finishing first in the top division loads of times - so I quietly replied “oh, so your best ever finish in English football is only one place above our best ever finish” - his gormless look and the laughter from his mates were priceless - the top division is the top division - you can call it what you like - our history shows we’ve been there - despite what Sky Sports will tell you - 1992? Bollox ....

10 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

No. He started 12 games that season. You sure that gets him a medal?

"Blackmore collected an FA Premier League title medal in 1992–93, although he was no longer a regular player at the club, often coming on a substitute or standing in as a full-back or on the flanks on the few occasions he did start a game. A succession of injuries meant that he was unable to play in the 1993–94 season, and competition throughout the team was growing."

10 minutes ago, M.D said:

Its a bit of a difficult one this, Part of me thinks we shouldn't judge and we don't know the circumstances and part of me thinks I'm a little unsure over this.

He was found guilty of assault so we can judge.  And the circumstances are his then partner didn’t deserve to be assaulted. 

This doesn’t make a lot of sense to me from a football perspective. So when you throw in all the off-field controversy that this has whipped up, this makes very little sense as a signing.

Of course, no level of ability ever offsets any form of domestic abuse. But you have to ask who is making these decisions (on signings) and why they are being made.

Really don’t feel comfortable about this, and I do not think Robins TV will be getting another tenner from me this season, something which I had been considering stopping before anyway. 

Unsure on this deal. Not sure what benefit it gives us by signing him, only see potential downside with his convicted allegations.

for me a talented ageing footballer with serious  convictions over his head. If what he has been convicted for is true (which I believe is the case) then I think it’s morally a poor decision. 

I trust Nige in his recruitment and some part of me likes that this shows he’s going to get control over signings, but at the same time, I think at what cost? Do we sell integrity for our position? It’s something I don’t know I can agree with. I agree with innocent until proven guilty and he’s been found guiltily so I stick with my principles of not associating with him whatsoever, despite what I think about his girlfriend based on her testimony.

the funny thing is Nige could literally employ 11 convicted criminals and if we got to the premiership, 80% of the fan base would be happy. For me, footballs more than just success. It’s about community, leadership, entertainment etc... these traits I value more than so called selling our soul for success 

3 hours ago, M.D said:

Its a bit of a difficult one this, Part of me thinks we shouldn't judge and we don't know the circumstances and part of me thinks I'm a little unsure over this.

For me, the circumstances are irrelevant. I don't respect any men who hit women. 

1 hour ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Very not happy with this signing, even less happy with 'fans' etc haranguing someone who's been DV'd as well. 

Utterly disgusted to be honest. Yes, I get rehabilitation and all that but at 34 and hardly any games for ages, as well as the bad press that it brings. Not sure I can support the team if he plays. 

Simpson has served his punishment, no reason he should keep being punished. On purely footballing terms makes every sense to have a good look at whether he might be a useful addition to the squad over the last 8 games. We all know Hunt needs improving on.

When the fun stops, stop. Supporting Danny Simpson, isn't fun for me. I won't get entertainment from cheering on a convicted abuser.

Therefore there's no point in me investing time and money and emotional capital into an entertainment company that no longer entertains.

I will not be following City anymore.

5 hours ago, CiderHeadDan said:

Unsure on this deal. Not sure what benefit it gives us by signing him, only see potential downside with his convicted allegations.

for me a talented ageing footballer with serious  convictions over his head. If what he has been convicted for is true (which I believe is the case) then I think it’s morally a poor decision. 

I trust Nige in his recruitment and some part of me likes that this shows he’s going to get control over signings, but at the same time, I think at what cost? Do we sell integrity for our position? It’s something I don’t know I can agree with. I agree with innocent until proven guilty and he’s been found guiltily so I stick with my principles of not associating with him whatsoever, despite what I think about his girlfriend based on her testimony.

the funny thing is Nige could literally employ 11 convicted criminals and if we got to the premiership, 80% of the fan base would be happy. For me, footballs more than just success. It’s about community, leadership, entertainment etc... these traits I value more than so called selling our soul for success 

Great that you value community, leadership and entertainment but not being flippant here, all those things have been sadly lacking during the last couple of years that Lee Johnson was here and ever since.

Nigel took over a very low bar and I accept this signing does nothing to raise it.

49 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Simpson has served his punishment, no reason he should keep being punished. On purely footballing terms makes every sense to have a good look at whether he might be a useful addition to the squad over the last 8 games. We all know Hunt needs improving on.

I don't care about his punishment.

I don't want him at our club.

If I did what he did, I would never work in my industry again. And my industry is much bigger than football.

Is my moral compass way off on this one? The way I see it, he’s done a bad thing - paid for it, that should be it. 

49 minutes ago, Prinny said:

When the fun stops, stop. Supporting Danny Simpson, isn't fun for me. I won't get entertainment from cheering on a convicted abuser.

Therefore there's no point in me investing time and money and emotional capital into an entertainment company that no longer entertains.

I will not be following City anymore.

No more 5am match day threads ?

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Is my moral compass way off on this one? The way I see it, he’s done a bad thing - paid for it, that should be it. 

Honestly in my view taking such a morally absolute position on this, to the point of deciding not to follow the club anymore, is baffling. Not only has he served his conviction the woman involved in the incident has literally told the world not to pass judgement on the man he was six years ago and saying how proud she is of him, and how much his daughter has enjoyed training with him recently.

Why some feel the need the play judge, jury and executioner on complex matters as these I will never know. 

I’m finding the liberal left cancel culture ideology is reminiscent of the moral absolutism you find on the front pages of the right wing tabloid newspapers such as the News of the World. It’s based on sweeping moral judgements without knowledge of all of the facts and it’s stopped people from being able to look at each individual on a case by case basis.

2 minutes ago, pl00peh91 said:

Honestly in my view taking such a morally absolute position on this, to the point of deciding not to follow the club anymore, is baffling. Not only has he served his conviction the woman involved in the incident has literally told the world not to pass judgement on the man he was six years ago and saying how proud she is of him, and how much his daughter has enjoyed training with him recently.

Why some feel the need the play judge, jury and executioner on complex matters as these I will never know. 

I’m finding the liberal left cancel culture ideology is reminiscent of the moral absolutism you find on the front pages of the right wing tabloid newspapers such as the News of the World. It’s based on sweeping moral judgements without knowledge of all of the facts and it’s stopped people from being able to look at each individual on a case by case basis.

I agree. If he was still doing it obviously that’s different but as far as I know he isn’t. He did a terrible thing, paid for it - is eternal punishment necessary?

28 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Of course you are entitled to your view.

However to me the complete lack of remorse shown at the time is key here. If he hadn’t looked to get out of his pitiful sentence of community service & done something to atone, like make a large donation to Women’s refuge charities (don’t say how do we know he didn’t, it would have been part of the rehabilitation plan in the media if he had), but he tried his best to avoid his punishment.

Secondly I am not denying his right to work I just don’t think he should do for us. He can deliver pizzas if he wants a job.

Finally point, that “cancel culture, lefty” comment by someone else, just **** off.

13 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Of course you are entitled to your view.

However to me the complete lack of remorse shown at the time is key here. If he hadn’t looked to get out of his pitiful sentence of community service & done something to atone, like make a large donation to Women’s refuge charities (don’t say how do we know he didn’t, it would have been part of the rehabilitation plan in the media if he had), but he tried his best to avoid his punishment.

Secondly I am not denying his right to work I just don’t think he should do for us. He can deliver pizzas if he wants a job.

Finally point, that “cancel culture, lefty” comment by someone else, just **** off.

Good points

12 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Those that say he has served his time so it’s fine, I assume would think the same if we signed a convicted rapist or peadophile who had served their time

Domestic abuse is not a complex issue as some have said. It’s a straightforward one. Don’t beat up your wife/husband/partner 

I agree with you, I’d argue though that this isn’t as severe a crime as the two you’ve mentioned.. although I don’t really want to go down that rabbit hole.

Archived