IGNORED

Danny Simpson

pl00peh91

Baffled by this one.  Doesn't make any sense at all from any perspective.  Questioning NPs judgement on this to be honest - from a solely footballing perspective we don't need him, we aren't going up and we aren't going down.  From a PR perspective its a flustercuck. There's just no need for it. 

2 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Baffled by this one.  Doesn't make any sense at all from any perspective.  Questioning NPs judgement on this to be honest - from a solely footballing perspective we don't need him, we aren't going up and we aren't going down.  From a PR perspective its a flustercuck. There's just no need for it. 

My view on this also. One step forward but two steps back kinda feeling. I think NP must’ve really asked for this transfer to happen ?‍♂️

11 hours ago, steveybadger said:

Said this before but I’ll say it again now it’s confirmed; less than 2 weeks ago there was a well publicised mass demonstration against male on female violence. This decision is utterly tone deaf.

Some of the comments on here show why those demonstrations are necessary. 

1 minute ago, cityloyal473 said:

Perhaps NP has identified RB as a key to our defensive weaknesses. Might he be looking to see how a ‘solid’ RB affects the overall dynamic of the team? This is a good time to try a few things as we’re  not in danger of playoffs or relegation (barring a total disaster). There’s no-one already here that would allow him to see how this works and the only other option at this point in the season is a free agent. Free agents all come with some sort of ‘downside’ otherwise they would have clubs!!

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

If everyone was condemned for all time because of mistakes they have made in the past, there would be an awful lot of people not able to ply their trade.  One can only hope that he has learned lessons and is a better person now.

Indeed, to quote from someone else's post:

"Not only has he served his conviction the woman involved in the incident has literally told the world not to pass judgement on the man he was six years ago and saying how proud she is of him, and how much his daughter has enjoyed training with him recently."

Should we not respect the view of the woman wronged?

4 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Indeed, to quote from someone else's post:

"Not only has he served his conviction the woman involved in the incident has literally told the world not to pass judgement on the man he was six years ago and saying how proud she is of him, and how much his daughter has enjoyed training with him recently."

Should we not respect the view of the woman wronged?

One can respect her view AND not want a convicted wife beater to be signed 

2 minutes ago, Scrumpylegs said:

What comments are these exactly? The debate on this is all quite well balanced I would say.

It’s the ‘we don’t know the circumstances’ and ‘it’s a complex issue’ comments that I have a problem with. People are quick to say things like this in cases of men beating up women but won’t excuse other crimes.  It gives the indication that it’s not that serious a crime 

2 hours ago, Prinny said:

When the fun stops, stop. Supporting Danny Simpson, isn't fun for me. I won't get entertainment from cheering on a convicted abuser.

Therefore there's no point in me investing time and money and emotional capital into an entertainment company that no longer entertains.

I will not be following City anymore.

Bye then you attention seeking oddball.

I’m really uncomfortable about this for all the reasons others have said.

As well as being an abuser he also just seems like a bit of a knob. Turns up at a charity shop to do his community service in a Lamborghini, and then moans about people taking pictures. Gets into very public social media spats with other mouthy footballers.

And slightly worrying that he was part of a Leicester side that made headlines for their off field activities generally, including allegations of racist abuse of sex workers on trip to Thailand. (He wasn’t part of that trip, but only because of his DA case going on at the time)

Which brings me to my other concern that hasn’t really been mentioned; we are very clear as a club that it’s our academy players, our young players, that are our future. I’m not sure that I want them coming through their introduction to first team squads and football being influenced by the idea that successful footballers are like this guy seems to be. We might joke about the whole DNA thing, but it’s not without merit.

Yes, he might be a reformed character. Regretful of what he’s done. But there’s not much evidence of it out there, and would it be hard for him to say?

7 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

It’s the ‘we don’t know the circumstances’ and ‘it’s a complex issue’ comments that I have a problem with. People are quick to say things like this in cases of men beating up women but won’t excuse other crimes.  It gives the indication that it’s not that serious a crime 

100%. Plus, he did get convicted. Others do know the circumstances, and looked into the complex issues. And concluded that he was guilty.

9 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

He was found guilty of assault so we can judge.  And the circumstances are his then partner didn’t deserve to be assaulted. 

If his partner has made piece with it, and they appear to be together again does it change your opinion at all?

Especially if he’s done some Form of counselling, anger management or other corrective process?

The “NP knows all the facts” comment makes me think there’s more here than the papers told us - and the papers will Happily tear someone down but not necessarily report on their rehabilitation.

I don’t condone what he did, and given the questionable necessity of this signing it’s probably a controversy I’d have preferred we’d stayed away from but people do change. Theirs arguably worse people who have been accepted back into football

Women’s Aid have removed the club from the Football against domestic violence campaign, which we originally signed up to with a great fanfare.

Really poor decision by the club.

I would like to know if the Board even discussed this issue.  If they didn’t this is very remiss of them; if they did it is a reprehensible decision.

The club is losing bit by bit its historical identity.

10 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Women’s Aid have removed the club from the Football against domestic violence campaign, which we originally signed up to with a great fanfare.

Really poor decision by the club.

I would like to know if the Board even discussed this issue.  If they didn’t this is very remiss of them; if they did it is a reprehensible decision.

The club is losing bit by bit its historical identity.

It’s extremely poor PR for the club to have Women’s Aid remove the club from their fanfare. Would like the club to use this signing as a positive, maybe Simpson could do some form of publicity to condemn domestic violence. I would imagine Simpson will be here next season.

Seems strange that part of our recruitment process for a manager was based on him being a good human and less than 12 months later we sign a player whose been convicted of domestic abuse. 

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Those that say he has served his time so it’s fine, I assume would think the same if we signed a convicted rapist or peadophile who had served their time

Domestic abuse is not a complex issue as some have said. It’s a straightforward one. Don’t beat up your wife/husband/partner 

Your ignorance on the subject is astounding.

16 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

If his partner has made piece with it, and they appear to be together again does it change your opinion at all?

Especially if he’s done some Form of counselling, anger management or other corrective process?

The “NP knows all the facts” comment makes me think there’s more here than the papers told us - and the papers will Happily tear someone down but not necessarily report on their rehabilitation.

I don’t condone what he did, and given the questionable necessity of this signing it’s probably a controversy I’d have preferred we’d stayed away from but people do change. Theirs arguably worse people who have been accepted back into football

No. To me, it makes no difference if his partner is at peace with it.

What it teaches is that you can commit DV, try to evade your punishment, show no remorse and then still remain with your partner and get a high-profile job.

Doesn’t seem right to me and sends the wrong message out.

16 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Whether other clubs have signed other convicted players isn’t relevant to me. It’s a simple one in my opinion. I don’t want my club signing players who have been convicted of domestic abuse, rape or murder.  I wouldn’t employ such a person or have such a person as a friend either. 

There are no caveats for me. 

I really don't want to trivialise a very serious issue which I do happen to have a decent knowledge of tbf but so many MEN talking so much shit right now it’s embarrassing. “The club losing it’s historical identity” what the absolute **** is that steaming hot pile of shit statement all about?

4 minutes ago, Rich_s said:

Bloke sounds like a complete bellend. Part of me says everyone should have a second chance and the other part of me thinks his second chance should be elsewhere.

Sort of where I am also.

11 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Whether other clubs have signed other convicted players isn’t relevant to me. It’s a simple one in my opinion. I don’t want my club signing players who have been convicted of domestic abuse, rape or murder.  I wouldn’t employ such a person or have such a person as a friend either. 

There are no caveats for me. 

I noticed you reacted to my reply. To claim that domestic abuse is not complex shows a significant lack of knowledge around the subject. I won’t bore you with paragraphs of the stuff but for starters knocking your other half around is only one of MANY methods of control used by perpetrators.

It’s very simple to say don’t knock your missus black and blue, simples. Of course very correct but if only it was that simple. Another comment you hear is “the Partner should leave, simples”. You could write dozens of books on:

1) Why leaving is not as simple as it sounds

2) Why abused people have a hugely higher probability of stumbling into further abusive relationships

Simple it certainly isn’t. Btw, out of interest, woman on woman abuse in Lesbian relationships either is or certainly was the relationship type with statistically the highest levels of abuse.......

41 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I’m really uncomfortable about this for all the reasons others have said.

As well as being an abuser he also just seems like a bit of a knob. Turns up at a charity shop to do his community service in a Lamborghini, and then moans about people taking pictures. Gets into very public social media spats with other mouthy footballers.

And slightly worrying that he was part of a Leicester side that made headlines for their off field activities generally, including allegations of racist abuse of sex workers on trip to Thailand. (He wasn’t part of that trip, but only because of his DA case going on at the time)

Which brings me to my other concern that hasn’t really been mentioned; we are very clear as a club that it’s our academy players, our young players, that are our future. I’m not sure that I want them coming through their introduction to first team squads and football being influenced by the idea that successful footballers are like this guy seems to be. We might joke about the whole DNA thing, but it’s not without merit.

Yes, he might be a reformed character. Regretful of what he’s done. But there’s not much evidence of it out there, and would it be hard for him to say?

Is he supposed to go out and buy another car to do community service in ?

19 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Wow....and here’s my problem and the danger with some people/comments on here. 

You have dragged up and included an ‘alleged’ incident that he was absolutely not part of yet have associated him, some might say smeared, just because he was playing for Leicester at the time. 

The bloke was a knob for what he DID do but should not be further chastised for association in an event he clearly was not.

15 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Even as a fan I don't know what our historical identity is! ?

I’m more interested in our playing identity, no idea what that is / was ???

12 minutes ago, Rich_s said:

Bloke sounds like a complete bellend. Part of me says everyone should have a second chance and the other part of me thinks his second chance should be elsewhere.

Imho, bloke sounded like a complete bellend over this at the time / afterwards.  Whether he’s learned from his mistake and no longer acts like a bellend I don’t know.

I kinda like your second sentence.

3 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Is he supposed to go out and buy another car to do community service in ?

Imagine he’d turned up in a Lada (sorry OTIB Lada drivers), they’d all accuse him of taking the piss wouldn’t they.

Overall, really delicate subject.

6 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Wow....and here’s my problem and the danger with some people/comments on here. 

You have dragged up and included an ‘alleged’ incident that he was absolutely not part of yet have associated him, some might say smeared, just because he was playing for Leicester at the time. 

The bloke was a knob for what he DID do but should not be further chastised for association in an event he clearly was not.

I very explicitly acknowledged that he was not on that trip. Deliberately.

But the point I was trying to make in my post was about a club’s ‘DNA’, for want of a better word. And it is relevant to that.

Archived