IGNORED

Danny Simpson

pl00peh91

19 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

You’re quite difficult to interpret as you constantly contradict yourself 

No I don’t . You obviously read what you want to. In all my posts on this thread I’ve never once said DV is acceptable in any form . It’s difficult sometimes to get across by text exactly what you mean. I’m trying to say . If it was a isolated incident then it may be viewed as a mistake , possibly out of character why he did it. I’m not excusing it at all though. If however  he had a history of DV  that would be viewed completely differently . I get it comes across that I’m saying one act is better but I don’t mean that at all. 

23 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Look what happened to Ben Stokes - people calling for him never to play again etc

Now a national hero and rightly so

Total false equivalence.

Stokes ACQUITTED of minor affray outside a nightclub.

Simpson FOUND GUILTY of assaulting a woman.

36 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Total false equivalence.

Stokes ACQUITTED of minor affray outside a nightclub.

Simpson FOUND GUILTY of assaulting a woman.

FWIW Stokes ‘affray’ - carries a potential sentence of 3 yrs 

Some may suggest that he should have been charged with a assaults including , fracturing an eye socket (GBH)

l like Stokes as a sportsman,  but boy did he get away with one 

33 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Yes he was. Sentence served in the eyes of the law. 

He deliberately had his sentence lessened as he was a celebrity, so sentence not served in my eyes.

Plus this wasn't decades ago, it was just a few years back.

Bloke is a clart in my view and I hope he is out of the club before I resume my seat.

4 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

FWIW Stokes ‘affray’ - carries a potential sentence of 3 yrs 

Some may suggest that he should have been charged with a assaults including , fracturing an eye socket (GBH)

l like Stokes as a sportsman,  but boy did he get away with one 

You understand the difference between being found Not Guilty and being found Guilty don't you?

Stokes was not convicted. Simpson was.

Simpson was caught bang to rights, sitting on top of his missus throttling her. You wonder where things might have ended had the police not been called. It is not normal behaviour. 

25 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

You understand the difference between being found Not Guilty and being found Guilty don't you?

Stokes was not convicted. Simpson was.

Simpson was caught bang to rights, sitting on top of his missus throttling her. You wonder where things might have ended had the police not been called. It is not normal behaviour. 

Thanks for the sarcasm 

Funnily enough I do ,

shall we say Stokes acquittal was a surprise to those heavily involved who know the ins and outs 

If you understand the offence of affray and watch Stokes video - I’d be interested in how you think the Jury reached their decision

But that’s the Jury system -

And As for Simpson , it’s an assault and can’t be excused or ignored but you may also want to consider , with charging guidelines , particularly in relation to domestic abuse , if it was as dramatic and as serious , as you suggest why he was only charged with the lowest charge scale in assault 

As for your suggestion how far it would have gone , or has I won’t bother going into things like the relevance of Petechial hemorrhages (Which reveal the level of any suggested throttling or strangulation) etc in these cases , as you believe I don’t even understand the difference in guilty or not guilty verdicts

11 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Thanks for the sarcasm 

Funnily enough I do ,

shall we say Stokes acquittal was a surprise to those heavily involved who know the ins and outs 

If you understand the offence of affray and watch Stokes video - I’d be interested in how you think the Jury reached their decision

But that’s the Jury system -

I thought you were a big supporter of law and order?  ?

Look, I'm not being holier than thou, but the two occasions were very different. 

I was taught as a kid that real men do not hit women. That should be a given. 

Now all of us who have been in a relationship know you can have ups and downs, and rows can get quite heated. My first marriage was stormy near the end. My then-missus once threw one of the few mementos I have of my late father at me and destroyed it; she deliberately crashed my car and on a couple of occasions punched me.

I'm not a saint and I had done things that drew her ire, but the point is, I understand rows can get violent. 

But I never hit her. Not once. Because I knew if I did I'd have broken her jaw.  

You don't hit women. Not even if provoked.

So that's my personal view of Simpson. He has crossed a line that makes me think less of him as a man. No matter how good a footballer he is I can't admire a person like that and I don't want him at our club. No amount of whattabouterry will change my mind on that.

Others might take a more forgiving view. I can understand that.  I'm only speaking for myself.

I remain a City fan of course and I can't wait to get back in the ground, but I will not be applauding this player. He won't give a f- of course, but it's a personal principle for me. 

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

I thought you were a big supporter of law and order?  ?

Look, I'm not being holier than thou, but the two occasions were very different. 

I was taught as a kid that real men do not hit women. That should be a given. 

Now all of us who have been in a relationship know you can have ups and downs, and rows can get quite heated. My first marriage was stormy near the end. My then-missus once threw one of the few mementos I have of my late father at me and destroyed it; she deliberately crashed my car and on a couple of occasions punched me.

I'm not a saint and I had done things that drew her ire, but the point is, I understand rows can get violent. 

But I never hit her. Not once. Because I knew if I did I'd have broken her jaw.  

You don't hit women. Not even if provoked.

So that's my personal view of Simpson. He has crossed a line that makes me think less of him as a man. No matter how good a footballer he is I can't admire a person like that and I don't want him at our club. No amount of whattabouterry will change my mind on that.

Others might take a more forgiving view. I can understand that.  I'm only speaking for myself.

I remain a City fan of course and I can't wait to get back in the ground, but I will not be applauding this player. He won't give a f- of course, but it's a personal principle for me. 

My experiences are not too dissimilar and my limits tested to the max , but like you I have a rule that you don’t hit women

Yet again , I don’t want to condone what he did but you’ve again , after ‘posing’ the what would have happened into the discussion , described him or suggesting he has struck her - he has not

The incident had been going on some time - the call to the police alone had been going for 8-9 mins and there is zero indication , , that he ever struck her 

He can’t defend what he did and as soon as he lays hands on her he commits assault but don’t make this out to be a case of beating or a strangulation attempt

The charge decision, bearing in mind the CPS charge aggressively in domestic abuse cases speaks volumes and is revealing

Hes not perfect , most of us arn’t , but he’s not the Yorkshire Ripper

3 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

My experiences are not too dissimilar and my limits tested to the max , but like you I have a rule that you don’t hit women

Yet again , I don’t want to condone what he did but you’ve again , after ‘posing’ the what would have happened into the discussion , described him or suggesting he has struck her - he has not

The incident had been going on some time - the call to the police alone had been going for 8-9 mins and there is zero indication , , that he ever struck her 

He can’t defend what he did and as soon as he lays hands on her he commits assault but don’t make this out to be a case of beating or a strangulation attempt

The charge decision, bearing in mind the CPS charge aggressively in domestic abuse cases speaks volumes and is revealing

Hes not perfect , most of us arn’t , but he’s not the Yorkshire Ripper

To be honest, I think having your hands around a woman's throat is worse than hitting her in my view and I think he was very lucky not to have attracted a more serious charge, a steeper sentence and was also lucky to wriggle out of community service.

The case illustrates how our society doesn't take violence against women seriously enough.

But look, I've said my piece. No point me harking on about it all day.

My views are personal and I do understand the counter-argument you and others are putting. 

He committed a vile and cowardly crime. As a result he was tried, convicted and sentenced by a court of law. He served that sentence within the bounds of the law. He has therefore been punished. 

Whether the violence he displayed has been or will be repeated is unknown to any of us. 

That's enough for me, for now. 

2 hours ago, Red_Alligator said:

He committed a vile and cowardly crime. As a result he was tried, convicted and sentenced by a court of law. He served that sentence within the bounds of the law. He has therefore been punished. 

Whether the violence he displayed has been or will be repeated is unknown to any of us. 

That's enough for me, for now. 

So the slate is wiped clean in your eyes when sentence is served on ANY crime ? 

2 hours ago, KeepUpLino said:

Shouldnt this be moved to a non football thread ffs?

Just don’t click on it if you don’t want to read about it 

5 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

No I don’t . You obviously read what you want to. In all my posts on this thread I’ve never once said DV is acceptable in any form . It’s difficult sometimes to get across by text exactly what you mean. I’m trying to say . If it was a isolated incident then it may be viewed as a mistake , possibly out of character why he did it. I’m not excusing it at all though. If however  he had a history of DV  that would be viewed completely differently . I get it comes across that I’m saying one act is better but I don’t mean that at all. 

It wasn’t an isolated incident 

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

To be honest, I think having your hands around a woman's throat is worse than hitting her in my view and I think he was very lucky not to have attracted a more serious charge, a steeper sentence and was also lucky to wriggle out of community service.

The case illustrates how our society doesn't take violence against women seriously enough.

But look, I've said my piece. No point me harking on about it all day.

My views are personal and I do understand the counter-argument you and others are putting. 

I can understand the view that sentencing when found guilty should be a lot tougher but I think it’s far too simplistic to say society does not take such abuse seriously. In many cases the abuse simply does not pass the CPS burden of proof threshold for being able to obtain a conviction at court. Imagine taking your Partner, an abuser, to court and it gets thrown out due to insufficient evidence. The likely fall out of that particular scenario doesn’t need a rocket scientist to predict. Therefore victims of the abuse are often reluctant to go through with a court case against the person they “love” at the end of the day and of all crimes it’s one of the most frustrating and difficult to prosecute however much the Police “know” the abuse happened.

Just now, Numero Uno said:

I can understand the view that sentencing when found guilty should be a lot tougher but I think it’s far too simplistic to say society does not take such abuse seriously. In many cases the abuse simply does not pass the CPS burden of proof threshold for being able to obtain a conviction at court. Imagine taking your Partner, an abuser, to court and it gets thrown out due to insufficient evidence. The likely fall out of that particular scenario doesn’t need a rocket scientist to predict. Therefore victims of the abuse are often reluctant to go through with a court case against the person they “love” at the end of the day and of all crimes it’s one of the most frustrating and difficult to prosecute however much the Police “know” the abuse happened.

Oh quite. In the US you can't even prosecute it unless the victim "presses charges", although here the cops and CPS can pursue a case even if the victim stands by her abuser.

In the case of Simpson, I think the court gave far too great weight to his lack of previous and not enough on aggravating factors including the domestic setting, the presence of a child in the house, the fear caused to the victim at the time of the assault and the fact that he was drunk.

Generally speaking I feel violent offences are treated too leniently.

i know it doesnt lessen the severity of the offence  but it was alcohol related which buggers up peoples judgement and sense with a few on board. would be interesting to know if there has been any reigning in on his drinking habits.  booze can be evil in the wrong person

22 hours ago, mozo said:

Yeah, what do you say? ?

Well- I guess I say that on a social media forum for mainly anonymous football fans that it's very easy to take the moral high ground irrespective of actual personal behaviour in day to day life. That , of course, no one on here has ever been sexist in any way or a bully or intimidating or inappropriate to a member of the opposite sex. Or racist on any level. That members of OTIB have time and time again have proved that they are the last bastion of appropriate commentary . That someone's height or weight or sex or colour has never played any part in posts. 

And certainly no one on here has never ever chanted "get your tits out for the lads" when a female physio has come on to the pitch.

And just imagine if Danny Simpson's partner had been male. I wonder if the outrage would be the same? Of course it would ....because us footie fans are the most enlightened non polarised liberals out there. I haven't made a single comment about Danny Simpson and I never made a direct comment regarding Ched Evans when there was a book's worth of posts on here. Who am I to sit in judgement of others based on a media circus . If this football player, Danny Simpson, is  an evil woman beating bully/abuser then he should have been sent straight to jail. And if the comments by so many are completely accurate then I have to question what the hell Nigel Pearson is doing at (and to) our club.  

I  only make comments on the posts themselves because the reality is that anonymous posts from anonymous football fans protesting their righteous indignation are meaningless. 

Like I said, Mozo: he who is without sin can throw the first stone. 

1 hour ago, Bobbie said:

How do you suggest I do that? 

Tbh I have more of an issue with City as they’re the ones I feel let down by. 

You’ve obviously got far to much time on your hands...

When will people like you understand that the business that is now Bristol Sport couldn't give 2 ***** how you feel or think for that matter.. Get over it!

5 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

You’ve obviously got far to much time on your hands...

When will people like you understand that the business that is now Bristol Sport couldn't give 2 ***** how you feel or think for that matter.. Get over it!

And that’s ok is it? When you say people like me, what do actually mean? People with values? 

47 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Well- I guess I say that on a social media forum for mainly anonymous football fans that it's very easy to take the moral high ground irrespective of actual personal behaviour in day to day life. ...

Like I said, Mozo: he who is without sin can throw the first stone. 

Yeah I don't think that's one of the better religious quotes because it implies that a woman that stole paperclips has no right to judge a mass murderer. Nonsense. 

I personally don't think it's permissible to wolf-whistle at a woman, hence I've not done it, but I'd be a fool to equate it to physical violence.

As I've said elsewhere, this is a complex case, but I respect people that feel moral revolt when faced with stories like this.

41 minutes ago, CiderJar said:

The victim of the assault had this to say

This whole situation is quite bizzare, the woman in question who has been apparently so badly beaten and abused can seemingly say no bad about the bloke.. yes they have a daughter together and I’m sure they have had to stay civil for her sake but to be publicly coming out and defending him so strongly seems odd.

Anyway as i said earlier in the thread Danny is a top footballer and is a welcome addition IMO. We have all made mistakes in life and IMO if the very women in question has quite clearly forgiven him and moved on a bunch of middle aged men from Bristol posting on an internet forum should do the same..

Archived