IGNORED

Danny Simpson

pl00peh91

17 minutes ago, bris red said:

This whole situation is quite bizzare, the woman in question who has been apparently so badly beaten and abused can seemingly say no bad about the bloke.. yes they have a daughter together and I’m sure they have had to stay civil for her sake but to be publicly coming out and defending him so strongly seems odd.

Anyway as i said earlier in the thread Danny is a top footballer and is a welcome addition IMO. We have all made mistakes in life and IMO if the very women in question has quite clearly forgiven him and moved on a bunch of middle aged men from Bristol posting on an internet forum should do the same..

Spot on , reading through this thread you would think we just signed the Yorkshire ripper

45 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

I hope the supporter’s trust properly take an account of fans opinion on this one and represent our views to the club.

Are you basing our fans’ opinion of this signing on what you’ve read on here? This forum, and the opinions posted on it, represent the views of a tiny, tiny, tiny percentage of our entire fanbase - so our supporters’ trust cannot possibly know what the views of all Bristol City fans are regarding the signing of Mr Simpson ... they can only gauge the opinions of just a few people if they read this thread ... and a survey covering such a small sample size won’t really tell anyone anything ...

On 27/03/2021 at 11:15, Numero Uno said:

People who come across as being somewhat morally superior to everyone else when what you are describing is behaviour that is morally corrupt (i.e. condemnation without facts).

But the "facts" are well known. He was found guilty. He did it.

In most professions, he'd be out. Unemployable.

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Are you basing our fans’ opinion of this signing on what you’ve read on here? This forum, and the opinions posted on it, represent the views of a tiny, tiny, tiny percentage of our entire fanbase - so our supporters’ trust cannot possibly know what the views of all Bristol City fans are regarding the signing of Mr Simpson ... they can only gauge the opinions of just a few people if they read this thread ... and a survey covering such a small sample size won’t really tell anyone anything ...

Exactly. I think OTIB is a decent mood gauging tool on certain linear things (ie whether a manager should be backed or sacked) but something like this, which has so much nuance, is really complicated and everyone has a slightly different opinion. 

Also you have to factor in the hyperbole on this place. We've seen a couple of posters say they no longer support the club.. they'll be quietly shuffling back I'm sure by the time the news cycle moves on. 

1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

I've made my opinions clear on the subject and am married to a woman who has 20 years of direct experience of the issue through her work both from the perpetrator and victim side of the fence and is vastly more knowledgeable of the direct problems and issues and the associated problems and issues caused by domestic abuse than the majority of male "experts" (who seem to be Professor standard with simple, workable solutions for pretty much every subject there is) on this board, not even up for discussion. Being married to someone with some expertise in any field means you tend to pick up a reasonable amount of knowledge yourself just from general discussion. That's not a dig at you, just go through the general responses so far and you will easily pick up that blatant lack of understanding and over-simplification of the issues is one of the biggest obstacles to solving them. Domestic abuse is an emotive and complex subject however simple people try and analyse it and if those keyboard warriors who think they know the solution to everything tried speaking to the victims instead of providing "expert" comment, bereft of experience, from their ivory towers they might just realise that themselves. It's also awful, cowardly and wrong to carry out such acts and in my opinion the punishments are not harsh enough, I'll just make that clear before anyone flies off the handle.

Where do people draw the line on what’s right and wrong?

We had Tammy driving cars when uninsured

We had the 4 players locked up after fighting in town.

That’s 2 I can think of straight away.

All seemed to be forgiven, what is acceptable in breaking the law and what isn’t. All served there punishments and carried on playing. Is it a case of certain things are unforgivable.

Just now, wayne allisons tongues said:

All seemed to be forgiven, what is acceptable in breaking the law and what isn’t. All served there punishments and carried on playing. Is it a case of certain things are unforgivable.

I think crimes committed against women and children are looked upon with a more dim view by the general population. Nothing more to it than that.

3 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

I think the timing of the Simpson signing (factoring in the Sarah Everett story) is an unfortunate contributing factor. There is, quite rightly, more discussion in the news and the media about various forms of abuse towards women from men which will amplify discourse around the Simpson situation.

3 hours ago, SecretSam said:

So, you're OK with domestic violence?

What other crimes would you forgive, as long as the player was signing for us?

Nope not in the slightest but the victim has forgiven him and said he should be judged on who he is now and not six years ago , she also said how hard he’s worked to get back on track so how about we give him a chance and stop crying about something you don’t know the details about ( you only know what an absolute rag like the sun has written I bet)

On 28/03/2021 at 10:26, Bobbie said:

Nonsense. Normalising and condoning the actions of remorseless bullies such as Danny Simpson makes you just as bad  as him. That’s exactly what’s wrong in todays society and why woman don’t feel safe and feel the need to protest as their voices are not heard 

With respect, none of us know that he is a "remorseless bully". The victim has spoken, it would appear you who is choosing not to listen?

On 28/03/2021 at 12:00, Loïs said:

I'm sure everyone is fully aware that it isn't the fact he's a criminal that has caused the feeling it has here.
It's the type of crime.

If he'd smashed a window, stole a car, or even throttled another bloke in a fight, does anyone truly think we'd have have this 2,000,000 comment thread?

Be interested to know if anyone's changed their view having had a read through and whether those who support the signing due to the fact he's served the sentence given, would have done if he was a convicted paedo and those against; whether you would if he was convicted of one of the above?

Considering paedophillia is physciatric disorder, and the relationship that players have with fans and children specifically then no, of course not. Similarly someone like Adam Johnson should never return to football given the circumstances around what he did grooming a fan.

Player's like Lee Hughes, Marcos Alonso, Luke McCormick would be a good comparison if you're looking for more serious crimes. Particularly as in McCormick's case I believe the family were very unhappy about the players' return to football and Hughes showed little remorse for his actions, even running away from the scene at the time.

17 hours ago, Bobbie said:

It wasn’t an isolated incident 

Do you know this as fact?

4 hours ago, SecretSam said:

In most places you'd lose your job yes, you wouldn't become "unemployable" except maybe for some professions

3 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

In most places you'd lose your job yes, you wouldn't become "unemployable" except maybe for some professions

Not formally, no, but in my industry - a criminal conviction would mean an end to careers in my sector (health)

1 hour ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Nope not in the slightest but the victim has forgiven him and said he should be judged on who he is now and not six years ago , she also said how hard he’s worked to get back on track so how about we give him a chance and stop crying about something you don’t know the details about ( you only know what an absolute rag like the sun has written I bet)

"Stop crying"

And we wonder why violence against women is still tolerated.

This has taken 19 pages and a lot of thought to write dv is terrible and there are no excuses for any genuine cases but from personal experience I will share what happened to me . It started with a row with my ex partner. At the time was my partner we lived together. We had been to a party I left as we had . Had a row and walked home . She had got a taxi home and arrived before me. She continued to argue with me . There was a knock at the door and two policemen were stood there. She had stayed in the lounge when I answered the door. I was put straight in cuffs and arrested before they had even entered the house. She Showed them a big bruise on her leg and said I did it .If they would have looked even then they would have seen the bruising was at least ten days old. I spent a night in the cells and was interviewed next morning by this time she had dropped the complaint but the police can carry on without a complaint on dv cases . I had the duty solicitor with me and . When I was interviewed I was lucky that 3 things had happened my father in law had written a statement saying the bruise was old and how she did it . My eight year old son told them I hadn’t touched her . And I had bumped into her mate walking home which proved I hadn’t arrived home when the police had been called. After we split up she got the hump over something and did it again this time I wasn’t even there. Imagine my surprise when you get a phone call on a Monday morning in work inviting you to the police station to discuss the incident on Friday evening later that day I had a phone call from social services telling me I wasn’t allowed to see my two boys. I got a solicitor who took me through the day of the incident. When interviewed between myself and my brief we had managed to prove I wasn’t there. I had moved in to my new flat that day and was busy until the evening luckily  it had cctv and showed me coming and going all day . At the time of her phone call to the police I was in the local kebab shop again lucky for me they had cctv which showed me there and then my new flat cctv showing me going in when all this was going on . So the police dropped everything.Even with all this proof it took three months for social services to allow me to see my kids unsupervised. I turned out to be lucky my son woke up my father in law made his statement cctv on my new home . The takeaway cctv. If I had stayed home or had no cctv I would have been in trouble. As far as the police and social services were concerned I was guilty until proven innocent. I came very close to being done for dv and if I had no witnesses or cctv most likely would have been . As a social worker said we have to believe someone but does that have to be the woman all the time women lie and manipulate as well as men . Just for the record my two boys live with me now . I’m not saying Simpson is innocent or shouldn’t have been punished but in a he said she said case in law there is usually only one winner the she . There is a real danger that the current climate including the metoo movement can be used for bad as well as good there are two sides to every story . Most times it is evil men doing these things . But not every time and we must be careful that this does not go out of control . If Simpson did what he did then yes punish him . But be wary of her word against his

1 minute ago, SecretSam said:

People on here keep making the defence that his partner has forgiven him.

That's irrelevant. His crime still stands, and it's still a crime against women. 

I'm not sure why it's irrelevant? I don't think anyone is defending his crime or his actions, they are questioning whether he has changed and learned from his mistake.

That's where the victim's comments are relevant, she is the only person who will know him well enough to answer that and it appears it has her backing.

I still say I wish it wasn't at our club so we didnt have to debate this though - given how none of us are expecting this to be a key signing

To be honest I hadn't really looked into the case, I assumed it was cut and dry as it the police arrived supposedly with Simpson on top of his partner.

Just seen this statement from her at the time, I will say though I am aware of how domestic abuse can affect someone and make them believe they are not a victim. I'm not downplaying DV at all, and I'm also aware of the tweets she sent in and around the time - just hadn;'t seen this posted here:

But now Miss Ward has slammed the justice system saying “I am not a victim.”

In a statement released after the case she says: “I am devastated by today’s outcome for Danny, our family and our daughter Skye. I am not a victim at all.

“Danny is a kind, loving father and despite our ups and downs he is a good person who I love and respect.

“We did get into a heated argument. I asked Danny to leave but he wouldn’t so I called police.

“When they arrived Danny was not on top of me and he definitely did not throttle me. I told police I would not make a statement as he is not violent.

“I later attended the police station of my own accord to ask for bail conditions to be dropped as Skye and I missed Danny terribly.

“I gave an interview saying he did not assault me.

“My statement was dismissed at court. This verdict will put more strain on our family.

“I now have no faith in our police or judicial system.”

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/danny-simpson-partner-slams-police-9304182

999 calls can be fairly persuasive in these types of cases, and added to independent evidence (police), the CPS must have felt that there was a realistic prospect of conviction even w/out the original complainant supporting the prosecution. On another day that decision would have fallen on the other side of the fence, I don't know whether Miss Ward gave a statement then retracted or didn't provide one at all. However, somewhat academic if the CPS were thinking they could secure a conviction on the remainder of the available evidence.

28 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I'm not sure why it's irrelevant? I don't think anyone is defending his crime or his actions, they are questioning whether he has changed and learned from his mistake.

That's where the victim's comments are relevant, she is the only person who will know him well enough to answer that and it appears it has her backing.

I still say I wish it wasn't at our club so we didnt have to debate this though - given how none of us are expecting this to be a key signing

Far too sensible a post. ??????

16 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

To be honest I hadn't really looked into the case, I assumed it was cut and dry as it the police arrived supposedly with Simpson on top of his partner.

Just seen this statement from her at the time, I will say though I am aware of how domestic abuse can affect someone and make them believe they are not a victim. I'm not downplaying DV at all, and I'm also aware of the tweets she sent in and around the time - just hadn;'t seen this posted here:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/danny-simpson-partner-slams-police-9304182

5 minutes ago, GlastonburyRed said:

999 calls can be fairly persuasive in these types of cases, and added to independent evidence (police), the CPS must have felt that there was a realistic prospect of conviction even w/out the original complainant supporting the prosecution. On another day that decision would have fallen on the other side of the fence, I don't know whether Miss Ward gave a statement then retracted or didn't provide one at all. However, somewhat academic if the CPS were thinking they could secure a conviction on the remainder of the available evidence.

Seems the only 2 people there, had things taken out of there hands and niether wanted the outcome. WE DONT KNOW we only read reports and base our judgements on those reports.

So.... DV is not nice for males or females and should be clamped down on; but guilty folk have been let off and not guilty folk have been punished before and that will continue to be so.

19 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Seems the only 2 people there, had things taken out of there hands and niether wanted the outcome. WE DONT KNOW we only read reports and base our judgements on those reports.

So.... DV is not nice for males or females and should be clamped down on; but guilty folk have been let off and not guilty folk have been punished before and that will continue to be so.

Exactly this, public policy dictates that in some circumstances those most intimately involved in matters will indeed have it taken out of their hands in pursuit of a greater good. However, I think it's getting a little too philosophical for a forum entitled 'Football Chat'.

57 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

But also you have the Policeman who witnessed its version from court:

https://journals.sagepub.com/eprint/ZAKDvSneGGMJTt7kSuwU/full

PC Gareth Hughes said that as he approached the house in Worsley, the screaming stopped and changed to the sound of ‘someone gasping for breath and struggling to breathe’. He told the court he found Simpson in the living room, next to the Christmas tree, ‘straddling her with his hands firmly around her throat’. The trial heard Simpson, who lives in Eccles, had no idea she had called the police and was ‘startled’ when they burst in. (Scheerout, 2015)

17 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well, no. Perhaps I wasn’t clear enough but I was suggesting that they properly do survey fans opinion so that it is properly represented.

I would actually think hardly any City fans are aware of Simpson’s convictions. And it’s not like the OS was including that information.

56 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Wonder whether Simpson will start on Friday. Hunt maybe with the break might be fresher than he has been in recent games. But I wonder if Pearson rates Hunt now he's brought in Simpson.

At first I wasn't so sure because of his age and us having quite a number of right back options. But after thinking about it I think it makes sense.

Hunt I think may be gone in the summer. Sessegnon returning to Fulham. Suddenly we are short of options. I'm not so sure he fancies Vyner there. Would be left with just Mariappa and Vyner as options, and that's only if Mariappa's signs a new deal. I do think that will happen and Mapps might be one of the two main right backs next season, as well as being a centre back option. Simpson obviously being the other right back.

Vyner would then be a very versatile 3rd choice right back as well as playing midfield of central defence. I get the feeling he will be more a midfielder for us under Pearson. Very impressed with his overall game in that position. 

If Simpson impresses over the remaining games then I imagine it's an easy 1 year deal to get done. Already knows Pearson and how he plays and would have got used to the surroundings, the club, staff and teammates.

I would only get an older right back in if we're also recruiting a younger version to compete with (and learn from) him.

I personally don't fancy Vyner or Mariappa there because I'd rather we had up and down energy and a bit of pace a la Sess and DaSilva.

4 hours ago, pjg11 said:

This has taken 19 pages and a lot of thought to write dv is terrible and there are no excuses for any genuine cases but from personal experience I will share what happened to me . It started with a row with my ex partner. At the time was my partner we lived together. We had been to a party I left as we had . Had a row and walked home . She had got a taxi home and arrived before me. She continued to argue with me . There was a knock at the door and two policemen were stood there. She had stayed in the lounge when I answered the door. I was put straight in cuffs and arrested before they had even entered the house. She Showed them a big bruise on her leg and said I did it .If they would have looked even then they would have seen the bruising was at least ten days old. I spent a night in the cells and was interviewed next morning by this time she had dropped the complaint but the police can carry on without a complaint on dv cases . I had the duty solicitor with me and . When I was interviewed I was lucky that 3 things had happened my father in law had written a statement saying the bruise was old and how she did it . My eight year old son told them I hadn’t touched her . And I had bumped into her mate walking home which proved I hadn’t arrived home when the police had been called. After we split up she got the hump over something and did it again this time I wasn’t even there. Imagine my surprise when you get a phone call on a Monday morning in work inviting you to the police station to discuss the incident on Friday evening later that day I had a phone call from social services telling me I wasn’t allowed to see my two boys. I got a solicitor who took me through the day of the incident. When interviewed between myself and my brief we had managed to prove I wasn’t there. I had moved in to my new flat that day and was busy until the evening luckily  it had cctv and showed me coming and going all day . At the time of her phone call to the police I was in the local kebab shop again lucky for me they had cctv which showed me there and then my new flat cctv showing me going in when all this was going on . So the police dropped everything.Even with all this proof it took three months for social services to allow me to see my kids unsupervised. I turned out to be lucky my son woke up my father in law made his statement cctv on my new home . The takeaway cctv. If I had stayed home or had no cctv I would have been in trouble. As far as the police and social services were concerned I was guilty until proven innocent. I came very close to being done for dv and if I had no witnesses or cctv most likely would have been . As a social worker said we have to believe someone but does that have to be the woman all the time women lie and manipulate as well as men . Just for the record my two boys live with me now . I’m not saying Simpson is innocent or shouldn’t have been punished but in a he said she said case in law there is usually only one winner the she . There is a real danger that the current climate including the metoo movement can be used for bad as well as good there are two sides to every story . Most times it is evil men doing these things . But not every time and we must be careful that this does not go out of control . If Simpson did what he did then yes punish him . But be wary of her word against his

Great that you had the balls to front up on this story. The only thing I question  is that you would have been found guilty because the Police assumed you were guilty. Don’t get me wrong I can understand someone feeling that way at the time but the Police still have to present enough evidence to the CPS whether they think you are guilty as sin or not. Domestic Abuse is notoriously difficult to get to court let alone a conviction compared to many other crimes.

4 hours ago, pjg11 said:

Sorry for what you went through, and clearly it’s wrong. It’s no consolation probably,  and doesn’t make the wrong go away, but at the end of day the police and the legal system did what it’s there to do and investigated and you weren’t charged.

In Simpson’s case the police investigated, took it to court, and a court presumably considered all the evidence and decided that he was guilty. I’m not saying there are never miscarriages, but I guess we have to accept that those involved in that process will have a better picture of what happened than any of us on here. 

Archived