IGNORED

Danny Simpson

pl00peh91

3 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Ok so anyone who has committed a crime and completed the punishment shouldn’t be aloud to work again 

No. Not in a job where they are role models for younger people.

The club need to honour their original signing up to ‘Football against domestic violence’. There is no nuance here.  The man was found guilty before the law and should be nowhere near the club.  A sad day for City.  

2 hours ago, mozo said:

I would only get an older right back in if we're also recruiting a younger version to compete with (and learn from) him.

I personally don't fancy Vyner or Mariappa there because I'd rather we had up and down energy and a bit of pace a la Sess and DaSilva.

Don’t you think Vyner has those attributes?  Needs to improve his crossing, but that can be worked on.

5 hours ago, !james said:

But also you have the Policeman who witnessed its version from court:

https://journals.sagepub.com/eprint/ZAKDvSneGGMJTt7kSuwU/full

One word against another, though personally would be inclined to believe the independent copper in what he saw.

Again, not dismissing what he did, I just think her response once the dust had settled shows it’s more likely it was a one off and out of character incident as opposed to a history of abuse - of course one incident is one too many.

I’ve seen both sides of DV, I’ve had someone I was on/off with be stalked, harassed, followed, put a secret camera in her house to watch us and even broke her jaw (way before I was back in the picture, else I may have had my own criminal record to worry about!) and another story I won’t go too far into for personal reasons (was parents, not me) which was a complete one-off incident. Personally I could forgive one and not the other, and this case from what I’ve seen looks like the latter rather than the former.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Far too sensible a post. ??????

Thanks Dave, I’m a bit of a fence sitter and like to understand both sides of an argument but I like debating and discussing both views.

I don’t think anyone’s opinion is wrong here if they feel they do or don’t want him at the club - it’s not a black and white situation

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Don’t you think Vyner has those attributes?  Needs to improve his crossing, but that can be worked on.

No I don't really see it. I know Dan Burn and Luke Ayling buck the trend, but I'd prefer someone nippier, and more confident in attacking areas than Zak.

If O'Leary is in goal, we'd have a right back bigger and taller than our goalie. That's not acceptable in football ?

2 hours ago, mozo said:

No I don't really see it. I know Dan Burn and Luke Ayling buck the trend, but I'd prefer someone nippier, and more confident in attacking areas than Zak.

If O'Leary is in goal, we'd have a right back bigger and taller than our goalie. That's not acceptable in football ?

And yet Zak is pretty composed.  Last season at Forest I thought he showed a lot of promise.  I think he needs regular minutes there, then we’d see if he has it or not.

If the club had a zero tolerance policy regarding crimes on the person then Danny Simpson would not have been signed. They don't and that is why he is here.

Ian & Dave P discuss this topic in a special episode of the FBC Podcast: 

https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/if-the-club-had-a-zero-tolerance-policy-regarding-crimes-on-the-person/

We also speculate on the potential for a longer term future at the club for the Premier League medal winner

Our regular live podcasts can be heard at 6.00 PM after the Stoke & Coventry games this Easter weekend.

One of my issues over this is the total silence from City.

Surely they’re aware of the debates and discussions. Wouldn’t a sensible thing be to face up to it and give a statement, even a written statement?

It would show there’s been considered discussion and might allow some to move on.

Right now, I still feel disappointed in the signing. 

On 29/03/2021 at 18:11, Ivorguy said:

No. Not in a job where they are role models for younger people.

The club need to honour their original signing up to ‘Football against domestic violence’. There is no nuance here.  The man was found guilty before the law and should be nowhere near the club.  A sad day for City.  

I had no idea we did. Shows it was merely words, not actions. Incredibly sad.

https://www.womensaid.org.uk/womens-aid-to-remove-bristol-city-from-football-united-against-domestic-violence-campaign-materials/

8 minutes ago, Selred said:

It's always just words and PR.

Why anyone ever believes these platitutdes and virtual signalling from commercial companies eludes me.

Does anyone think that mobile phone manufacturers with their modern slavery statements care about conditions in the African mines where the rare earth metals that are needed for colour screens are extracted, or that the makers of electric cars give a stuff about the wholesale despoilation of the environment and poisoning of its workers from opencast lithium mines?

Of course they don't.  Words are however free.

One thing and one thing only ever matters:

tenor.gif?itemid=10912416

1 hour ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

One of my issues over this is the total silence from City.

Surely they’re aware of the debates and discussions. Wouldn’t a sensible thing be to face up to it and give a statement, even a written statement?

It would show there’s been considered discussion and might allow some to move on.

Right now, I still feel disappointed in the signing. 

Club still haven’t responded to my email addressing my concerns. Maybe they will in time but all very disappointing so far  

7 hours ago, Bobbie said:

Club still haven’t responded to my email addressing my concerns. Maybe they will in time but all very disappointing so far  

You'll get visits from father Christmas, the Easter bunny, tooth fairy, and Jesus before the club respond to your email...

10 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Lay aside for the moment the dreadful ethical and moral decision, and just think of the appalling pr.  I would have thought pr was the one thing BS could get right.  Apparently not.

Yep spot on. Personally I think the stick MA gets on here is OTT, but the silence is deafening. If I was ultra cynical I’d think the training ground opening had been delayed so it could be announced this week, to get some positive news out there!

37 minutes ago, Super said:

Crikey Pearson will tear him apart.

Well known fact that Pearson doesn't go much on the press people, and probably sees it as more of a "necessity that goes with the job". 

Gregor really needs to up his game if he wants responses that aren't blunt and to the point - and that's not a criticism of him either. At least he has started asking questions that are a bit more than the crap we usually get like "what's your favourite sandwich filling" from the club!

3 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I still hold my view about the Simpson signing, but thought Nige explained his position very clearly and very well. I respect his view whilst disagreeing with it.

My view too & fair play to Gregor for asking the question.

10 hours ago, Taz said:

Well known fact that Pearson doesn't go much on the press people, and probably sees it as more of a "necessity that goes with the job". 

Gregor really needs to up his game if he wants responses that aren't blunt and to the point - and that's not a criticism of him either. At least he has started asking questions that are a bit more than the crap we usually get like "what's your favourite sandwich filling" from the club!

Thought it was a really impressive interview today, ok he pulled up Gregor for trying to get a team selection out of him but other than that he didn’t dodge anything including the Simpson situation.

Really impressive interview that.

Fair play to Gregor for asking the tough questions. NP went some way to explain the Simpson signing and clearly knows more than we do, although I still don’t agree with it.

He’s clearly a driven, ruthless and uncompromising man; and probably exactly what’s needed to get the the Premier League and maybe even stay there. 

5 minutes ago, One Team said:

Really impressive interview that.

Fair play to Gregor for asking the tough questions. NP went some way to explain the Simpson signing and clearly knows more than we do, although I still don’t agree with it.

He’s clearly a driven, ruthless and uncompromising man; and probably exactly what’s needed to get the the Premier League and maybe even stay there. 

??

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Does this interview mean some fans are hastily sellotaping their season cards back together? ?

Am I missing something? What did he say to make those that disagree with this change their minds? The fact he thinks he deserves a 2nd chance? Great. That was already fairly obvious by the fact he’s signed him. 

Where does the club draw the line on violence against women? I wonder if Sesay will deserve a 2nd chance in a few years...

17 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Am I missing something? What did he say to make those that disagree with this change their minds? The fact he thinks he deserves a 2nd chance? Great. That was already fairly obvious by the fact he’s signed him. 

Where does the club draw the line on violence against women? I wonder if Sesay will deserve a 2nd chance in a few years...

From the reactions I’ve seen from “some fans” NP’s comments today on various social media have completely changed people’s views.  Some fans who were questioning it last week or when the rumour started, have now deemed it fine, because 

You’re obviously far more principled about this than some fans....and that’s fine.

21 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

the rules of the country says everybody gets a second chance I am not in charge of the Country So my views are irrelevant.

Yeah I didn't find NP particularly persuasive, although it seems like he could do a dump on the street and we'd all be clamouring for a sniff, such is the worship he gets from us (myself included).

Gregor's question specifically referenced the charity, but NP swerved that and instead talked about second chances.

The case is complex. I personally wouldn't sign him. I'm just very meh about it now and much more interested in how the other players will perform.

55 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yeah I didn't find NP particularly persuasive, although it seems like he could do a dump on the street and we'd all be clamouring for a sniff, such is the worship he gets from us (myself included).

Gregor's question specifically referenced the charity, but NP swerved that and instead talked about second chances.

The case is complex. I personally wouldn't sign him. I'm just very meh about it now and much more interested in how the other players will perform.

Bit in bold was my thoughts exactly. Not sure what everyone sees in Pearson's answers but he was specifically asked about the Women's Aid issue, and then went off on a rambling (3 and a half minute) answer about second chances, difficult decisions and having your character questioned. He didn't once mention the specific topic of domestic violence, nor Women's Aid, nor the Club's position.

My view remains that Simpson shouldn't be barred from signing for us nor any other club. He committed a crime, was tried, found guilty, and served the sentence that was ultimately deemed appropriate by the courts. He should have a "second chance" but also, as Pearson said, has to "live with it". 

But his signing has caused an issue and the club should have addressed it directly, especially once a national charity publicly dropped us from their merchandise and effectively called the club out on the matter.

Archived